PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everyone! I saw a Spyder last Saturday.. Now; I want one! >> (more)

Greg H.
06-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Of late, I have been pondering a motorcycle. Last week, I went over to the HD store in our area, just to look around. By the way; my wife has been dead set against me getting a bike. :( I did have a nasty accident back in 1978 while living in Arizona. And, this was long before I met her.

But, every now and again, I kinda get that bug! Even though...... ;D .... I know she hates that thought! Ha! Anyway.... (hang with me here! :)), We both saw a grey Spyder. Wow! And, we had no idea what it was.

So Monday, I did a bit of searching on the web. And, I am sure now, we saw a Can-Am Spyder. So.... in my research, I am learning all about the safety features, she sees more photos.... and, she loves it! Turns out, there is a dealer here in Memphis, TN. And, so far, they have delivered around 6 of these. And, just yesterday, a co-worker had one pull up next to him at a stoplight! Ha!

The deal is; I am not ready quite yet. I need to pay more off on my '07 Nissan Frontier, and get caught up on some other things. But, I think, I am in love with these Spyders! And, I think, I would love to get one! I hope to get over to that dealer in the next few days, and check out their demo. They don't keep stock to sell of these. And, apparently, it is a 2 month wait once an order is placed.

Also; in the state of TN, you do need a motorcycle license. So; I need to take the class, and get that out of the way sometime in the near future. With the license, I will, at least, be able to test ride their demo Spyder. One concern I have is the fact that I am 6'4". I wouldn't think that would be a concern. I just don't know.

Anyway; glad to have found this forum, and hope to meet some really nice folks. From what I have read so far, it seems everyone is loving their :spyder:. :)

Tim
06-25-2008, 06:55 PM
:spyder: Welcome :spyder:

dltang
06-25-2008, 06:58 PM
You will love it. Go buy it! My husband is 6'4" and it is not a problem for him.

MSGTDOC
06-25-2008, 07:03 PM
JUST DROVE MINE HOME TODAY. GET THE LICENSE AND GET THE SPYDER. YOU WON'T REGRET IT. A BLAST TO DRIVE.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

FANG
06-25-2008, 08:29 PM
:welcome: Picking mine up on Saturday. I seems like an eternity. once bitten by the Spyder.... ;D

pphantom538
06-25-2008, 10:04 PM
:welcome:

bjt
06-25-2008, 10:21 PM
I hope to get over to that dealer in the next few days, and check out their demo. They don't keep stock to sell of these. And, apparently, it is a 2 month wait once an order is placed.

These are still so new and in such high demand that most dealers don't have any in stock. The few that you find unsold at dealerships seem to be because someone ordered one and then backed out for some reason. There are some people that have reported as short as a two or three week wait lately.

One concern I have is the fact that I am 6'4". I wouldn't think that would be a concern. I just don't know.

As my wife, dltang, said, I am 6'4" and I have really no problems riding the Spyder. I may even call it therapeutic . When I first took delivery, I was having knee and leg problems. The seating position of the Spyder actually provided some relief from the knee pain I was having. It certainly didn't make it any worse. With the 1" handlebar riser, I sit fairly upright while riding.

Lamonster
06-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Well what are you waiting for? ;D :welcome:

Greg H.
06-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! ;D I'm going to try to get over to the dealer today, and look at the demo. After talking with my wife last night, this all may be happening sooner than later, now. I'm getting excited! Ha!

We live out more in the country, if you will. 45 miles from downtown Memphis in the little town of Oakland. My drive to work is 28 miles. And, most of it is back country. Very cool! Having a :spyder: (great emoticons, by the way), would be fantastic for my commute! And, I'm reading fuel mileage between 26-30+ mpg. Not bad.. A few weeks ago, I was considering something like the Suzuki Burgman 400 (60+mpg). No matter. The wife wasn't thrilled with that, anyway - 2 wheeler, and all. :) We have been married 20 years, agree on just about everything, blah... blah... But, the motorcycle topic isn't one of them; until NOW! ;D She mentioned she cannot wait to go for a ride on one.

The storage compartment up front on the Spyder is awesome. I bowl on Thursday nights. It sure looks like it could hold my 15lb. bowling ball (get this; it's a Hammer Black Widow ;D), and my shoes.

Lamonster
06-26-2008, 05:40 AM
I'm on the other end of TN and it's great on the backroads.

I think you can expect 32 to 38 mpg on the Spyder. That's what I get most of the time.

Greg H.
06-26-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm on the other end of TN and it's great on the backroads.

I think you can expect 32 to 38 mpg on the Spyder. That's what I get most of the time.

32 to 38 mpg sounds great! And, you have a great looking set up, by the way. A buddy of mine in Knoxville is just the kind of person that would also go crazy over one of these Spyder's, I think. His current toy is a Beck 550 Spyder replica (aka James Dean's Porsche 550). He's driven the Dragon's Tail in it. And, I have heard how famous that ride is through there. Riding over there would be a nice trip on one of these, I'm sure.

As far as the offered colors go, the yellow looks great! Of course, all I have seen so far, are photos, and some videos. My wife really likes the red. Hey! I could be happy with the silver, too! They all look really nice on this vehicle. And, I even noticed some have already had some custom paint jobs done. Very cool!

bjt
06-26-2008, 06:20 AM
FYI, the silver makes a nice base coat for a candy paint. ;D

jeuchler
06-26-2008, 06:52 AM
FYI, the silver makes a nice base coat for a candy paint. ;D

Hey, hey, Brian!

Don't be disparaging the silver ("Moon Shadow") paint!

(Tho' I have spent several hours myself researching the color candy apple cherry black....)

ataDude
06-26-2008, 10:47 AM
... There are some people that have reported as short as a two or three week wait lately...

Timing is everything. I bought on a Thursday when I walked in... got it delivered the next day. Someone indeed backed out on an order. :agree:

timpani
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Hello Greg, you probably saw me on the silver spyder. I live right next to you in Collierville. Both dealers in town are great. I use Al's Cycle and have been very happy with all of our interactions.

Smylinacha
06-26-2008, 03:37 PM
:welcome:
You will have so much fun on it!

Greg H.
06-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Hello Greg, you probably saw me on the silver spyder. I live right next to you in Collierville. Both dealers in town are great. I use Al's Cycle and have been very happy with all of our interactions.

:bigthumbsup: Enjoyed talking with you yesterday, Terry! Looking forward to having a look at your Spyder later on today, too!

I did go to the dealer yesterday, and sit on the demo. It felt more like sitting on a sport bike to me, than a tourer. Very impressive to actually see one up close, too. The salesman started it for me. 8) I like it!

One of the questions we both have is; is the drive belt automatically tensioned? Thanks!

ataDude
06-27-2008, 05:29 PM
:bigthumbsup: ..

One of the questions we both have is; is the drive belt automatically tensioned? Thanks!

Nope.

Greg H.
06-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Nope.

That's interesting. How often does tensioning of the belt need to be addressed?

On a side note; I just did an online quote. We are moving forward! :bigthumbsup: I met up with Terry (typani) earlier this evening, and checked out his Full Moon Silver :spyder:. Sharp! He even offered to let me take it for a spin in the parking lot. Very cool! It has been so long since I had last ridden, I did not even miss the front brake lever. 8) Of course, I noticed it not being there. What a neat Ride!

Smylinacha
06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! ;D I'm going to try to get over to the dealer today, and look at the demo. After talking with my wife last night, this all may be happening sooner than later, now. I'm getting excited! Ha!

We live out more in the country, if you will. 45 miles from downtown Memphis in the little town of Oakland. My drive to work is 28 miles. And, most of it is back country. Very cool! Having a :spyder: (great emoticons, by the way), would be fantastic for my commute! And, I'm reading fuel mileage between 26-30+ mpg. Not bad.. A few weeks ago, I was considering something like the Suzuki Burgman 400 (60+mpg). No matter. The wife wasn't thrilled with that, anyway - 2 wheeler, and all. :) We have been married 20 years, agree on just about everything, blah... blah... But, the motorcycle topic isn't one of them; until NOW! ;D She mentioned she cannot wait to go for a ride on one.

The storage compartment up front on the Spyder is awesome. I bowl on Thursday nights. It sure looks like it could hold my 15lb. bowling ball (get this; it's a Hammer Black Widow ;D), and my shoes.

Heck you can stuff a body in that trunk!
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/big-wink.gif

NancysToy
06-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Heck you can stuff a body in that trunk!

Well...maybe one of Lamont's racoons.
-Scotty

bjt
06-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Well...maybe one of Lamont's racoons.
-Scotty

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Animals/mini-raccoon.gif ;D

Greg H.
06-28-2008, 09:20 AM
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Animals/mini-raccoon.gif ;D

A racoon, and a mongoose! ;D