PDA

View Full Version : Bathing You Spyder

Pirate looks at --
08-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Ok you have all this fun riding your :spyder2: and dirt begins to accumulate, I am looking for suggestions on products to clean my :spyder2: with. Also any dos and don'ts when you are bathing your :spyder2: Also when you have been out for a ride an you have the occasional dead bug stuck to the front of the :ani29:, what's the best suggestion for removing those? Thanks in advance.

NancysToy
08-08-2013, 03:45 PM
You'll get a bunch of different answers for this. Everybody has his/her favorite. Best thing for bug splatters is to soak the area with a wet towel, then use plenty of water...especially on the windshield. There are a couple of no-nos...no ammonia (regular Windex) or alcohol (Rain-X) based products on the windshield, and no high pressure washing...especially of the controls and the dash display.

Pirate looks at --
08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
You'll get a bunch of different answers for this. Everybody has his/her favorite. Best thing for bug splatters is to soak the area with a wet towel, then use plenty of water...especially on the windshield. There are a couple of no-nos...no ammonia (regular Windex) or alcohol (Rain-X) based products on the windshield, and no high pressure washing...especially of the controls and the dash display.

Ok, Iam throwing the windex away! I used that already didn't seem to have a negative impact, but I will not use that again. I should have remembered my chemistry and that Amonia D is an alkaline product. Thanks for this.

Spyder Tony
08-08-2013, 04:28 PM
I use Meguiars Gold Car Wash and a sheepskin cloth. Rinse with the hose set to "mist". Not sure if it would hurt it, but I don't spray down the instrument cluster or built-in speakers...I wipe them down with a cloth dampened with water only. Same treatment for the windshield...water only & damp cloth.

I found that a good waxing (Turtle Wax Liquid Ice) really helps a lot. Bug juice doesn't stick and other misc stains wipe off. I'm kind of a neat freak with my Spyder, so i'm washing her literally every 3 days with waxings every Saturday morning. XPS Spyder cleaner is great stuff for a wipe-down cleaning when on the road or if you don't feel like breaking out the hose and sponge.

Hope my regimen helps out...

Dan McNally
08-08-2013, 04:30 PM
I use plain old car wash soap from WalMart, a bucket of water, a wash mitt for the tupperware and a brush for the wheels. I use a big microfiber towel to dry it off. I use Meguiar's White Wax on the tupperware - it makes that pearl white color really stand out. I soak bug strikes with a wet towel until it loosens up on the windshield and the tupperware, because those exoskeletons on bugs can scratch if you wipe too hard when they are dry.

H.L.Spyder Guy
08-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I have a different philosophy on bathing my spyder. The only thing I clean is the wind screen and the headlights with a product called bug slime. As far as the rest goes, God made the birds that poop, the trees with sap, the bugs with different colored guts, so I let him clean up the mess. Usually once a week he sends a little rain to take care of it. If that fails, my wife washes it. I thank her of course, (I'm not insensitive) but I tell her I bought it to ride it, Not sit and look at it!!

condorflysu
08-08-2013, 04:43 PM
Ok, Iam throwing the windex away! I used that already didn't seem to have a negative impact, but I will not use that again. I should have remembered my chemistry and that Amonia D is an alkaline product. Thanks for this. BRP recommended Plexus plastic cleaner for our Seadoo Tupperware. It was also the #1 recommended product to clean my aircraft windshield with. http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html The one suggestion I would have is a little goes a long way. Buff to a shine with a fresh soft clean cloth. My dealer carries it too.

Gsmoth9504
08-08-2013, 04:46 PM
After she's nice and clean, you might try to use some Pig's Spit for a really nice finish shine. It doesn't clean well but it sure makes her look great.

Spyder Tony
08-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Ok, Iam throwing the windex away! I used that already didn't seem to have a negative impact, but I will not use that again.

You're safe if used a time or 2...over time the Windex will cause what is called "webbing" (Spiderweb like cracks throughout the shield).

Excerpt for plastic/plexiglass care (From an article):
DO NOT use window cleaners to clean your plexiglass/plastic as you may risk webbing the plexi/plastic. Anything that is ammonia based, like Windex, will ruin it. Alcohol based agents can also damage plexiglass/plastic. For a quick clean you can use a clean, wet, cloth with very mild dish detergent to clean smudges. Otherwise, a damp clean cloth should be ok to wipe off dust. Microfiber cloth is preferred if you have access to one.

quickster47
08-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I use lots of elbow grease and TLC (Tender Loving Care) in copious amounts. All the cleaning products are good as well as the polishes and waxes. It is just that some prefer one over the other for personal reasons.

Carl

NancysToy
08-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Ok, Iam throwing the windex away! I used that already didn't seem to have a negative impact, but I will not use that again. I should have remembered my chemistry and that Amonia D is an alkaline product. Thanks for this.

The Windex Multi-Purpose with Vinegar works very well, and will not craze the windshield like ammonia or alcohol products can over time.

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 05:16 PM
I use regular car wash soap for a good heavy duty cleaning.
Lighter cleanings; I break out the Meguiar's Quick detailer.
After I'm done; a quick lick and a buff with some Lemon Pledge! :thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
08-08-2013, 05:26 PM
The Windex Multi-Purpose with Vinegar works very well, and will not craze the windshield like ammonia or alcohol products can over time.

Doesnt the manual say not to use acid on the wind shield? Vinegar is quite acidic. :banghead:

retired1
08-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Hey SETH O have you changed your regimen, since you got your new one?:dontknow:

Magdave
08-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Any quality car wash soap followed by Rejex. You will only have to wipe it down for months after you use Rejex. It is not a wax and I have used it on 3 different Corvettes. A wet cloth will wipe off any bugs followed by a micro towel to dry. Expensive but worth it. It is all purpose auto/bike/marine polymer shine. Does a great job on glass or Plexiglas too. I used to do my Vettes once a year it is all they needed. easy to apply and wipe off too.

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/rejex/

http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-61002-Rejex-16oz-Bottle/dp/B0006V0LNY

NancysToy
08-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Doesnt the manual say not to use acid on the wind shield? Vinegar is quite acidic. :banghead:
Windex Multi-Purpose with Vinegar contains some vinegar, but not enough to smell like it, and it apparently also has buffers that neutralize it, because it is not acidic...or at least not strongly so. I have used it for many years and it has never harmed a windshield or anything else.

Major spyder
08-08-2013, 07:54 PM
I am guessing soap and water will work????

LeClaireRog
08-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Does all window cleaner have ammonia in it? I've been using an off brand for awhile due to my ignorance. What have I done to my windshield?

willey
08-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Buy a yellow Spyder.They always look clean.

willey
08-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Buy A yellow Spyder.They allways look clean.

Flanker
08-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Guess it sucks to have a gloss finish (my favorite for appearance). Mine came with the flat textured metallic and satin black (still not sure I like it). Gotta admit, it's the easiest to clean finish of any vehicle I've ever owned. All I've ever used is Meguiars Quick Detailer and micro fiber towels (except I infrequently use Meguiars wash and water on the wheels, with some Wally Worlds wheel brushes), No wax, no plastic/rubber protectant, no polishes, or any of that other time robbing :cus:! More riding........................less scrubbing! :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
08-08-2013, 09:51 PM
I just let my wife wash it after i go on a ride. Sometime i have to show her a spot she missed.

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eagleeye299
08-09-2013, 07:06 AM
I have used a product called Bass Boat Saver on my boat for years. Spray some on a damp rag and wipe down all the painted plastic parts. The more you use it the less stuff will stick to your Spyder. Shines better than anything I've ever used. Cleans and protects from sun damage. The stuff is also biodegradable.:yes:

Bob Denman
08-09-2013, 07:09 AM
http://www.formation-massage-stage.fr/outils/nettoyeurecran/cleanscreen.swf

Pirate looks at --
08-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Any quality car wash soap followed by Rejex. You will only have to wipe it down for months after you use Rejex. It is not a wax and I have used it on 3 different Corvettes. A wet cloth will wipe off any bugs followed by a micro towel to dry. Expensive but worth it. It is all purpose auto/bike/marine polymer shine. Does a great job on glass or Plexiglas too. I used to do my Vettes once a year it is all they needed. easy to apply and wipe off too.

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/rejex/

http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-X-61002-Rejex-16oz-Bottle/dp/B0006V0LNY

Magdave, do you use this on the windshield and headlight covers as well?

Magdave
08-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Magdave, do you use this on the windshield and headlight covers as well?Yes I do and it works great. I use a micro cloth to wipe it if it doesn't come of I spray some clean water and it does soften and come off. I have used it on all windows in my cars except for the windshield (except corvette never had to use wipers on it because the rake at speed just beads water off) wipers will eventually rub it off. I am telling you it is just plain fantastic and easy to put on let it sit for 15 min and wipe off. Let it sit over night afterwards to avoid UV messing with it.It isn't anything like wax and is hard to even see it after it is applied so I make sure I get a good coat usually 2. If you read the links you will see the rating. Road grime just a wipe and gone. It works well on brake dust to just wipes away.:thumbup: