PDA

View Full Version : anyone tow a seadoo with their spyder?

AWEInCA
08-07-2013, 10:17 PM
I've never towed anything behind any kind of vehicle. I am thinking about getting a seadoo and wondering if I can pull it behind my Spyder?

Anyone done this?

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-07-2013, 11:36 PM
I've never towed anything behind any kind of vehicle. I am thinking about getting a seadoo and wondering if I can pull it behind my Spyder?

Anyone done this?

Even the smallest / lightest Seadoo or something similar would be beyond the tow capability of the SPYDER.....Although I think ( my own opinion ) it has the power and frame strength to do it......(we are talking rolling weight ) The real PROBLEM as I see it is STOPPING. I think that would be very touchy, for many reasons. Don't forget your only traction nearest the hitch is ONE tire not two like a car or truck.....so the possibility of JACK-KNIFING , I think is greater......PS I made my own Trailer hitch and actually pulled my toyt ECHO a short distance to see if the Spyder could .....It can ...:thumbup:

NancysToy
08-08-2013, 06:25 AM
Towing capacity of the Spyder is limited to 400 pounds, with 40 pounds maximum tongue weight.

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 06:39 AM
...So unless the fill the watercraft's fuel tank with helium; it's gonna bust the scale on you! Sorry!
Now... Canoes and Kayaks are another matter...

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-08-2013, 07:06 AM
...So unless the fill the watercraft's fuel tank with helium; it's gonna bust the scale on you! Sorry!
Now... Canoes and Kayaks are another matter...

I don't think so on this either ......The weight of the trailer alone might put you over the limit......Mike :yikes:

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 07:11 AM
I know... and the helium wouldn't affect the momentum of that rig, once it got to moving anyway! :roflblack:
But at least you could take some deep hits off of the tank and talk like fools while wating for the emergancy vehicles to arrive at the accident scene! :roflblack:

ARCTIC
08-08-2013, 09:00 AM

Anyone done this?

I had a seadoo RXT and at low speeds behind my 4wd ATV it would shove that thing around pretty good. It was on a single place trailer and I would keep it in my enclosed trailer so I would pull it in and out of the trailer with my ATV. I had to be locked in 4wd to pull it in and backing out out, it took front and rear brakes to keep from getting drug out backwards by the seadoo. You take that kind of weight and put it behind your spyder:yikes: you'll be in big trouble when you hit the brakes. Let alone this being your first towing experience:yikes: There's no way you'd be able to launch and pull your seadoo out with the spyder when you got to the lake anyway

ARCTIC
08-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I tried but as soon as the motor on the Spyder was under the water the damn thing stalled.

You have to hit the water faster Roger:roflblack:

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 09:08 AM
I tried but as soon as the motor on the Spyder was under the water the damn thing stalled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JbY0fsQxxA

SDM
08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Rattigan Roger and ARCTIC, you 2 aren't right - but I like that in a person!!!:roflblack: Bob, saw the other day that the original Lotus from the movie was up for auction. It had been sitting in a shipping container for a # of years and a couple bought it in a blind auction not knowing it was inside. Here's how the article is listed on the net: James Bond Lotus Esprit submarine car headed to auction [w/video] (http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/28/james-bond-lotus-esprit-submarine-car-headed-to-auction-w-video/). Say it will be coming up for auction sometime in September.

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I saw that too...
I prefer an open sky above me when I'm fishin'... ;)

CyncySpyder
08-08-2013, 12:00 PM
2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet Descriptionhttp://assets0.webkite.com/datas/404998.best/thumb/YAMAHA-Jet-Ski-2011-YAMAHA-Waverunner-Superjet-Base-1121830470.jpg?1307124521The 2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet weighs 291 pounds and is 26 inches tall and 26.80 inches wide. It is 7.35 feet long. It has a kill switch / tether cord and is skid resistant. It can hit a maximum of 46 mph and accelerates very slowly. The 2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet has a finger throttle. It has handlepole steering and tilt steering. It has 54.50 kilowatts horsepower (kw) and an in-line engine and is a stand-up jet ski. It 2 2-cylinder engine and has a 2-stroke engine and a water cooling system. The 2011 Yamaha WaveRunner Superjet has a reed valve valve configuration, a 701 cc engine and a compression ratio of 7.20:1.

So if the trailer was only a hundred pounds or less, it could be doable ..... ;)

boborgera
08-08-2013, 01:55 PM
I saw that too...
I prefer an open sky above me when I'm fishin'... ;)

Did you know right after WW 2 ,The new Japanese navy equipped all their ships with glass bottoms;

This way they could see the Old Japanese Navy....:yikes:

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 01:58 PM
So if the trailer was only a hundred pounds or less, it could be doable ..... ;)
Dave, You're right; nobody has asked just which personal watercraft we're talking about... :thumbup:

"See the old Japanese Navy..." :roflblack: :thumbup:

Flanker
08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Aaaaahhhhhh. A much more cogent, and existentialist question is; has anyone ever towed their Spyder with a Seadoo? :hun: If they have; they've got my respect! :bowdown:

Michael211_2000
08-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Yeah this is the Mother of All Bad ideas! Can you even imagine trying to launch or retrieve the SeaDoo on a boat ramp with a Spyder?

If anybody wants to try it please be sure to have a friend take video... you'll be a YouTube sensation overnight! :ohyea:

ps. I also own a 2006 SeaDoo RXT, love it... friends upon learning I was buying a Spyder immediately asked if I was going to use it to pull the SeaDoo to the lake with. I was like, "Uhhh, no I don't think so!". :roflblack:

- Michael

MrLooney
08-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Does anyone have information on trailers that can be towed behind our Roadsters that have either Electric or Hydraulic breaking systems?

Bob Denman
08-09-2013, 06:54 AM
I don't think that braking systems for the towed trailer was ever given much thought due to the low limit on the total weight...
Somebody should give BlueKnight911 a call; he could build it! :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-09-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't think that braking systems for the towed trailer was ever given much thought due to the low limit on the total weight...
Somebody should give BlueKnight911 a call; he could build it! :thumbup:

Funny you should bring this up Bob, a long time ago I owned some Jet Ski's, and I had a custom DOUBLE aluminum trailer made for them.....At that time I owned a really Sweet Red Saab Turbo, But using it to launch the Jet Ski's was a Total Failure.....The engine doesn't run well with the TAIL-PIPE under water.....Soooooo.....I had a ( Hitch ) Receiver welded to the front of the frame underneith where it wasn't visible......Worked like a CHARM ....I had a lot of folks taking pictures of this at various BOAT RAMPS......Yankee Ingenuity :2excited: :agree: Mike :thumbup:........PS ...I could get them out of the water in record time ..also:roflblack::roflblack::gaah:

Bob Denman
08-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Did you ever take them out onto the highway hooked up like that?? :shocked:
Going down the Mass Pike at 65 mph; you'd have had your pictures taken by everybody! :roflblack: :thumbup:

groundeffect
08-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Towing a Sea-Doo is one thing, but 'retrieving' and pulling a Sea-Doo up from a slimy launch ramp is another. Not a good idea.

Bazeel
08-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Not saying you can't...Just saying it would be very, very low on my list of 'possibly good ideas'. If you plan on doing so, please be VERY aware of your stopping distance increase, and acceleration time.

SPYDERFUZZ
08-10-2013, 04:50 AM
MrLoney you have best idea. If you build you own trailer with an electric breaking system, you would have a hand break on your :spyder2: that you could use to stop the whole outfit and use the spyder breaks only sparingly. I have driven a straight 5 ton truck years ago that was pulling a trailer with a small, track front end loader. It had an electric breaks and if the pavement was wet I would use the trailer break to slow down or stop, thus avoiding jackknifing. Doug I

shelbydave
09-02-2013, 07:05 PM
It's not a seadoo, but...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Towing a Sea-Doo is one thing, but 'retrieving' and pulling a Sea-Doo up from a slimy launch ramp is another. Not a good idea.

Exactly!

SNOOPY
09-02-2013, 07:13 PM

Can you say "Fried transmission" ? :yikes:

Orange monster
09-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Holy Cow!!! The mother of all bad ideas!!!:shocked::yikes::dontknow:

pwm
09-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Saw a Spyder towing a jet ski this past weekend. It was a small one but he was booking it down the highway.

PW2013STL
09-02-2013, 08:16 PM

Wow that sure beats the 17' speed boat that I followed being towed by a Gold Wing!