PDA

View Full Version : handle bar removal RTS 2012

spydertrike
08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Is it a simple job removing the handle bar ? Is it just removing the four bolts at top of handlebar ?
Need to run a few wires up through the handle bar and out through the little plastic piece in the middle of the handlebar on top.

Thanks

matcomike
08-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Umm...not quite so easy. The black plastic "beauty ring" under the bars will prevent you from getting to the clips that hold all the wiring in place. You will have to remove the headlight cowl, headlight adjuster cables from under the side service panels, and the headlights. After doing this, you will need a magnetic 8mm socket on a small 1/4" drive extension, with a small 1/4" ratchet to access the four bolts (from underneath) that hold the shield to the bars. THEN you can remove the plastic under covers from the bars, and get to all the wiring, etc.
Good luck. You may learn, over time, from working on your Spyder, that your swear word vocabulary is quite a bit larger than you thought.:banghead:

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Someone who was trying to make " RISERS " for the RT did a video of what is involved in the entire HANDELBAR set-up.....Try the archives ...or maybe this has triggered someone else's memory of the video and can provide more info.......It may have been someone who makes RISERS for the GS/RS......Mike

SilverSurfer
08-08-2013, 01:14 AM
Someone who was trying to make " RISERS " for the RT did a video of what is involved in the entire HANDELBAR set-up.....Try the archives ...or maybe this has triggered someone else's memory of the video and can provide more info.......It may have been someone who makes RISERS for the GS/RS......Mike

... and here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbpllVD6Fp8

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-08-2013, 07:34 AM
... and here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbpllVD6Fp8

This proves when you are a Spyderlover someone has your BACK.............Thanks Silver Surfer ..I knew someone would remember that VIDEO :thumbup:...Mike

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 07:42 AM
:agree: Thanks for that video! :thumbup:
It reminds me why I've not started playing with the bars at all... :yikes:

spydertrike
08-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Thanks all for all your help. I decided not to remove the handlebar. I choose to run the wire to another area of the bike.

Robertsepolen
08-09-2013, 09:23 PM
What I did was remove the upper side panel. Then I fished a plastic zip tied down through the hole where the plastic piece in the handlebars is and was able to reach over near the speakers with the zip tie. This will bring you close enough to reach most wiring options. What exactly are you installing?

DR Buck
08-10-2013, 06:42 PM
:agree: Thanks for that video! :thumbup:
It reminds me why I've not started playing with the bars at all... :yikes:

It's an adventure! :roflblack: Also an education as you get to see parts of your Spyder that you normally wouldn't. nojoke