PDA

View Full Version : I m sick ....parking brake....

kbarnet5
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Well I finally gave into the temptation of letting my buddy ride my spyder around the parking lot. He was kind of an idiot revving and not caring that it is a 16 k dollar piece of machinery. Puts it in N and sets the emergency brake.. walk out after work to see that the parking brake will not disengage. So I pull on the emergency brake lever which did give but it will not reengage or the parking break light will not shut off. Any ideas besides taking it to the dealership?

bjt
06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
If you just pulled up on it and it came up, you might have broken something. When my parking brake isn't releasing, I get down on my hands and knees, use one hand to push on the parking brake pedal, find the parking brake latching pawl just behind the lower panel, release the pawl with my finger, let the pedal come up.

kbarnet5
06-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Yeah I tried everything... when underneath it ... Yeah I dont think I broke anything just see that the latch and the spring are kind of loose.... I guess dealership is the best way to go....

timpani
06-24-2008, 10:36 PM
It sounds like you friend stomped down with alot of force when applying the brake. When this has happened to me I had to put a greater amount of force to release the pedal. Basically stomp down on the sucker (within reason). I you put ten pounds of pressure to engage the brake, it will take ten or more pounds of force to release the mechanism.

kbarnet5
06-24-2008, 11:01 PM
It looks as though the latch has been pushed forward... and I need to some how push it up to latch on the grooves...

araneae
06-24-2008, 11:35 PM
You can loosen the parking break cable to get it to release if all else fails.

Bryan

kbarnet5
06-25-2008, 05:54 AM
How do you release the parking brake cable...

COSpyder
06-25-2008, 07:28 AM
We have to push on the latch underneath the bike while pulling up on the brake. This seems to be a very common issue and doesn't have a whole lot to do with how hard the brake was set, according to my dealer. Mine is in the shop as the parts came in to fix the release. I don't use my brake most of the time and it still happened so even after you get it to release, I would advise to take it in.

sabunim5
06-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Try pushing down on the regular brake with your right foot (keep pressue on the regular brake) as you press down on the parking brake with your left foot to release it. Be sure to check the end of the parking brake cable to see if the rubber end has been distorted, this is a sure sign your cable needs to be adjusted. Lube the mechanism on the left side too. Hope this helps. :bigthumbsup:
sabunim5 :spyder:

theRED1
06-25-2008, 11:51 AM
I also had parking break problems. When mine was stuck I had to hit the parking break with my foot into the direction of the Spyder first, then it would disengage properly the right way. I took it to the dealer to fix during my first service. Then the P brake stopped working, all together!

Then the P brake stopped working.

kbarnet5
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Well ended up fixing the problem ... took everything apart... and all it was is the gear got push down ....instead of being flush with the teeth

speedster200
06-26-2008, 10:51 PM
We have had two units in with this problem. The pawl spring (double loop spring)is binding against the housing. bend the housing slightly toward the the bike to keep the spring from binding.
spyderdylr

czdaryle
06-27-2008, 06:27 AM
I was just trying to fix this last night....again. I did notice that the top spring does not seem to work the way it should. Spyderdylr what housing you refering to? the one that holds the pawl spring? I will have to look I thought the housing was a pretty thick steel and couldn't bend it? Thanks I will try what you say...I'm sick of trying to lube this thing. I do the get on my hands and knees and do it my hand..sick of it..Nothing worse then getting on your bike when everyone is watching and you start jamming on the parking brake cause you cant get it...then you have to do it by hand ;D

We have had two units in with this problem. The pawl spring (double loop spring)is binding against the housing. bend the housing slightly toward the the bike to keep the spring from binding.
spyderdylr

tatt2r
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Well I finally gave into the temptation of letting my buddy ride my spyder around the parking lot. He was kind of an idiot revving and not caring that it is a 16 k dollar piece of machinery. Puts it in N and sets the emergency brake.. walk out after work to see that the parking brake will not disengage. So I pull on the emergency brake lever which did give but it will not reengage or the parking break light will not shut off. Any ideas besides taking it to the dealership?

MY SUGGESTION "DON'T LET YOUR IDIOT FRIEND ON YOUR SPYDER"!
i've never had anyone ask to ride it to date 5 people have driven spyder and all respected it .... maybe you could teach your friend a valuable lesson my lying him on the ground and stomping his brake peddle ... if you get my drift ...

Derwin
06-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Well I finally gave into the temptation of letting my buddy ride my spyder around the parking lot. He was kind of an idiot...

I was just curious..... Has your buddy asked to ride it again since the first time? If he made a simple mistake, I would just let it go......but if he really had no respect for your ride, than I would agree....DON'T LET HIM TOUCH IT AGAIN!! >:(

Derwin