PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze Leak on Blue Ridge Parkway need advice

pslawing
08-04-2013, 08:22 PM
Hey guys
we are on a 3 day trip in Maggie Valley, riding on parkway this afternoon. Stopped at overlook and saw antifreeze dripping on my rt wheel struts and onto pavement. Got back to our rental house. Took Tupperware off and can't see anywhere it is leaking. Any suggestions? Is it safe to ride?
thanks ahead of time !!

happyspyder2039
08-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Hey guys
we are on a 3 day trip in Maggie Valley, riding on parkway this afternoon. Stopped at overlook and saw antifreeze dripping on my rt wheel struts and onto pavement. Got back to our rental house. Took Tupperware off and can't see anywhere it is leaking. Any suggestions? Is it safe to ride?
thanks ahead of time !!I would open the front truck & look at the reserve coolant bottle. Sounds like it took a dump & will need to be replaced. Also check the water pump clamp- maybe loose

pslawing
08-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I would open the front truck & look at the reserve coolant bottle. Sounds like it took a dump & will need to be replaced. Also check the water pump clamp- maybe loose

Thanks for replying. The reservoir still has plenty of coolant. Is the water pump the round device below the reservoir ?? Is there an easy way to get to the clamp?

baldeagle55
08-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Hey guys
thanks ahead of time !!
Ask Scotty he know more then anyone I trust him

Spyderjockey
08-04-2013, 08:37 PM
You might want to check the cap on the resvoir also to make sure it is really screwed on to the second detent. I had a leak while in TN. a couple of years ago and discovered it was the cap wasn't on tight.

happyspyder2039
08-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks for replying. The reservoir still has plenty of coolant. Is the water pump the round device below the reservoir ?? Is there an easy way to get to the clamp? there is a hose that comes straight in the the round water pump from the top. you should be able to see the clamp i'm not totally sure if it is adjustable. I had leaking there & the dealer change clamp out for a sea clamp that was adjustable on my old Spyder. My guess is still the coolant bottle has a crack that leaks when the bottle warm/hot & is put under pressure

pslawing
08-04-2013, 08:48 PM
We left the Tupperware off will ck in am after it cools. Never leaked before has 6000 miles. 2012 RT
thanks guys!

NancysToy
08-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Lots of good advice here. Let's sum things up.....check the cap to see that it is tightened to the second detent, Especially if the leak is coming from the overflow hose. Check the only hose that has a screw clamp, that one often needs to be snugged up. If the problem is the water pump, you will need to see a dealer for repairs...but not immediately unless the leak is severe. Keep on riding, but keep an eye on your coolant level, small leaks are nothing requiring immediate attention. Keep an eye on the water temperature gauge, if it starts to run higher than normal, check the coolant level. Carry some spare coolant if you have room, any premixed, ethylene glycol (green) compatible, aluminum safe coolant will work.

pslawing
08-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Lots of good advice here. Let's sum things up.....check the cap to see that it is tightened to the second detent, Especially if the leak is coming from the overflow hose. Check the only hose that has a screw clamp, that one often needs to be snugged up. If the problem is the water pump, you will need to see a dealer for repairs...but not immediately unless the leak is severe. Keep on riding, but keep an eye on your coolant level, small leaks are nothing requiring immediate attention. Keep an eye on the water temperature gauge, if it starts to run higher than normal, check the coolant level. Carry some spare coolant if you have room, any premixed, ethylene glycol (green) compatible, aluminum safe coolant will work.

Awesome. Thanks Nancy's toy!!!

pslawing
08-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Looks like my cap was only on with first click. So hopefully that was it riding all day today in Smokeys so we will see. Thanks guys. Will carry coolant just in case!! Love this SPYDERLOVERS !

pslawing
08-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Road 100 parkway miles today and all is well!
THANKS

NancysToy
08-05-2013, 02:41 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

fas2000
09-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Hey guys
thanks ahead of time !!

I had the very same issue happen to me this evening.

I was on a 'spirited' ride down the turnpike. I took the exit and pulled over to get out my ezpass from my pocket. I got back on and went through the toll and again went to the shoulder to put the ezpass away. this time i decided to put it in the frunk. I turned off my spyder and heard some fluid gushing out . i got off and looked and saw exactly what you just described above. I got a bit nervous as i was halfway between home and where i had to go. Luckily i called up a friend. He told me not to worry and carefully get it towards his place turning the engine off when i might have to come to a prolonged stop. i did just that. We took off the tupperware and found no leaks or any outward issues. He suggested putting in some antifreeze and we did just that. It didnt take much. I would guess a pint or so. Mind you it is close to a 100 degrees here today. So i think it just dumped some antifreeze and i hear that it is can happen. anyway, ill monitor it for the next couple of days and hope for the best, but i think it will be ok. I drove home,, no issues..

good luck
fas

NancysToy
09-12-2013, 07:35 AM
I had the very same issue happen to me this evening.

I was on a 'spirited' ride down the turnpike. I took the exit and pulled over to get out my ezpass from my pocket. I got back on and went through the toll and again went to the shoulder to put the ezpass away. this time i decided to put it in the frunk. I turned off my spyder and heard some fluid gushing out . i got off and looked and saw exactly what you just described above. I got a bit nervous as i was halfway between home and where i had to go. Luckily i called up a friend. He told me not to worry and carefully get it towards his place turning the engine off when i might have to come to a prolonged stop. i did just that. We took off the tupperware and found no leaks or any outward issues. He suggested putting in some antifreeze and we did just that. It didnt take much. I would guess a pint or so. Mind you it is close to a 100 degrees here today. So i think it just dumped some antifreeze and i hear that it is can happen. anyway, ill monitor it for the next couple of days and hope for the best, but i think it will be ok. I drove home,, no issues..

good luck
fas
It won't dump coolant unless:

Your cap is not turned tightly to the second detent
You overheat
Your coolant is overfilled
You have a leak
Your water pump failed

You need to find the reason and cure it. Coolant level that is too low could have caused it, but you should have seen it on the gauge. The first problem mentioned is the most common cause. It pays to double check your pressure cap.

bill pitman
09-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Road 100 parkway miles today and all is well!
THANKS

good show!

Bill

fas2000
09-12-2013, 10:21 AM
It won't dump coolant unless:

Your cap is not turned tightly to the second detent
You overheat
Your coolant is overfilled
You have a leak
Your water pump failed

You need to find the reason and cure it. Coolant level that is too low could have caused it, but you should have seen it on the gauge. The first problem mentioned is the most common cause. It pays to double check your pressure cap.

Thank you for the valuable advice:

Your cap is not turned tightly to the second deten there is a good chance this was the problem. i got it serviced just two days ago. and i just saw what you meant about the second deten, and i didnt notice that before.
You overheat dont think so,, the temp was just fine.
Your coolant is overfilled coolant level was fine.. just checked a couple of days back
You have a leak opened up the tupperware, didnt see that, didnt happen after, hoses looked secure
Your water pump failed not sure how i can determine that myself.

I think it is the cap, but again i will keep an eye on it..

thanks
fas