PDA

View Full Version : WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION

SPYD3R
08-03-2013, 01:31 PM
HELP...! ! !
i'm into another DiY project... converting a simple 16 ft. 'boat' trailer into one that will carry my SYPD3R...
i have an '09 RS, 73043 and would like to know if anyone out there knows the WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION...
ie; Frt/Rr 50/50, 40/60, 60/40, etc.... i need this info so i can place my 'wheel stops' over the trailer wheels for proper balance.

if any1 is interested in this project, let me know, and i'll post pix as i go...

Chupaca
08-03-2013, 03:32 PM
but most of the weight over the wheels. Someone should have the tongue weight allowing for additional weight distribution. Good luck answers will be coming love to see the outcome..!! :thumbup:

Sarge707
08-03-2013, 04:55 PM
http://www.boatus.com/trailering/2012/march/TongueWeight.asp

Tongue weight of 7-12 percent for single axles.

SPYD3R
08-03-2013, 05:07 PM
http://www.boatus.com/trailering/2012/march/TongueWeight.asp

Tongue weight of 7-12 percent for single axles.

THX.... i know what 'tongue' weight is... what i need to know is: of the 697 lbs. that my SPYD3R weighs, how much of it's weight is supported by the front wheels, and how much does the rear wheel support... this is what's call: weight distribution... is it 40%/60%, or 50%/50%, or 60%/40%....

Bob Denman
08-03-2013, 05:18 PM
You don't really need to know that...
Load the bike on the trailer, take it to where you can put it on a scale...
Take the toal weight of it, and then move your bike around on top until you're somewhere around 10% of the total as the tongue weight... :thumbup:

SPYD3R
08-03-2013, 05:41 PM
You don't really need to know that...
Load the bike on the trailer, take it to where you can put it on a scale...
Take the toal weight of it, and then move your bike around on top until you're somewhere around 10% of the total as the tongue weight... :thumbup:

Bob;
i guess i DIDN'T MAKE MYSELF CLEAR in the beginning.... it's a BOAT TRAILER... i need to 'cut it up' build, configure and align ramps, wheel stops, etc... there is NOTHING about this trailer except the wheels that will remain the same... so to build my DiY Project correctly, i MUST find out what the 'CENTER' of the SPYD3R is so that i can place that point of the SPYD3R over the axle of the trailer to balance the entire rig once loaded with my SPYD3R....

i'm NOT asking for how i need to weigh anything, just the distribution of the weight of an '09 RS SPYD3R.... now, does any1 know what that is...?????? :banghead:

Bob Denman
08-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Is there anybody around you that can put your Spyder up on three heavy-duty scales?
Total it up, and then note how much each wheel is holding up, and you'd be good...
(Sorry! I already thought that you had the trailer configured!)

NancysToy
08-03-2013, 05:52 PM
Docdoru measured it once for his GS, but finding that post is like a needle in a haystack. I'd drop by a local scale and weigh the front and rear. That will give you an honest distribution...and not with the 697 pound dry weight that is really just a dream.

Bob Denman
08-03-2013, 05:55 PM
:agree: 697 lbs? :roflblack:

SPYD3R
08-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Docdoru measured it once for his GS, but finding that post is like a needle in a haystack. I'd drop by a local scale and weigh the front and rear. That will give you an honest distribution...and not with the 697 pound dry weight that is really just a dream.

Thx Nan....
i called a trucking co. here in town, n ax'd if i could weigh mine... i heard a 'click'...

NancysToy
08-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Thx Nan....
i called a trucking co. here in town, n ax'd if i could weigh mine... i heard a 'click'...
Do you have a junk yard in town? Otherwise check a few other places for certified scales. Around here they charge a few buck for a certified reading, but they will often do a quick reading for free if you don't need a slip. If you have a houshold scale that has a capacity of 250-300 pounds, you can jack up the Spyder one wheel at a time and set each one on the sacle and weigh each corner, and get pretty close.

Bob Denman
08-03-2013, 06:19 PM
...And we'll be interested in hearing what the Real-Deal is on the actual weight... :thumbup:

Woody
08-03-2013, 06:19 PM
My local grain elevator will do this type of thing with their scales, except at harvest time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SPYD3R
08-03-2013, 06:54 PM
The jackpoint shown in the manual is at the nuetral point meaning that if you carefully jack up the vehicle you'll notice it all come up more or less level.

Measure from that point forward and that point rearward.
The weight distribution is the ratio of those two distances.

a BIG THANX Roger.... :thumbup:
i'll check that out 1st thing tomorrow morning....
Dan
Easley, SC

DrewNJ
08-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Just aim to have the spyder mid point slightly forward of the axle line and you'll be where you need to be.
I converted a jetski trailer for use with the spyder last year. Pretty easy and straight forward. Basically, all I did was strip off the bunks and laid 2x pressure treated lumber (some 2x12's 2x6's etc etc) front to back and used U bolts to hold it to the frame. Kinda like a deck. No sides. Works great.
The best advice I can give you is to try to keep the deck height as low as possible. Since it was a V shaped trailer the aluminum bunks even fit between the decking and the "v" below. The ratchet strap I'm going to put back on just in case I ever need to pull it on the trailer if the spyder breaks down.
Let me know if you want to see some pics and I'll dig some up....

DrewNJ
08-03-2013, 10:38 PM
Also, thought I'd add.
Check out this pic of mine on the atv jack.
I'd say the balance point of the spyder is right at the lower little plastic winged kick out part of the panels just in front of the foot pegs...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Waiting to hear about the results... :bbq::bbq::bbq:

SPYD3R
08-08-2013, 01:43 PM
OK.... got my Center Line for weight distribution...
started on my new DiY SPYD3R Trailer...
started with a 16 ft. boat trailer: $100...
stripped all the boat-stuff off...
purchased necessary materials: Steel $70, light kit $34, D-ring $5, rachet straps $14...
cut necessary metal to 'fit'...
currently at Apex Engineering and Fabrication (sons company) to get everything welded up...
here are the current pix...
final assembly to be completed, then paint... i'll keep you posted...

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Have you had the chance to pitch your Spyder across a set of scales yet? :dontknow:

SPYD3R
08-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Have you had the chance to pitch your Spyder across a set of scales yet? :dontknow:

NO Bobby, no need, DrewNJ (look above) had the right idea, and all i did was move my jack around under her a few times, and i found the mid-point... geeeze, y didn't i think of that.... :banghead:

Bob Denman
08-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Sometimes; the simplist solutions are the hardest ones to see... :shocked:

DrewNJ
08-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Looking good! Keep the pics coming as the work progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPYD3R
08-09-2013, 07:31 AM
Looking good! Keep the pics coming as the work progresses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

will do....
i'm getting a quote today on having it completely sprayed with RHINO LINER... hope it's not OVER-THE-TOP in price...

Tx web rider
08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
my inquiry to you is why are you going to put the Spyder on rear tire first ?

the added stress on the windscreen if you have a large type might cause damage

also it places your gauge cluster in the line of fire from road debris and or pounding from heavy rains

other than that looks good

remember the placement of the spyder on the trailer you want to have more weight in front of the tires than the back to keep from having adverse towing situation

SPYD3R
08-09-2013, 08:58 AM
my inquiry to you is why are you going to put the Spyder on rear tire first ?

the added stress on the windscreen if you have a large type might cause damage

also it places your gauge cluster in the line of fire from road debris and or pounding from heavy rains

other than that looks good

remember the placement of the spyder on the trailer you want to have more weight in front of the tires than the back to keep from having adverse towing situation

REAR-WARD MOUNTING:
1. a boat trailer is perfectly configured for mounting a SPYD3R rear first.
2. i have a custome fitted cover which will negate any issues with wind.
3. the front wheels of the SPYD3R are the same width as the wheels on the trailer, so if i mounted it front first, i would need to ride over the wheel fenders, and would also need to
add panels to the sides of the trailer forward of the fenders.
4. i try to make most everything i have, at as little cost as i can. it's called: having fun.
5. i like being different.

as for weight up front, this is why my very 1st question was about the weight distribution of a SPYD3R... which was answered...

NancysToy
08-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Nothing wrong with towing backwards, but the windshield should be removed. Wind pressure in revese has snapped several of them while being towed backwards. As to the cover, it is usually a bad idea. No way to get them tight enough to prevent wind whipping, and the friction of even a soft cover against the vehicle will eventually scuff the paint, upholstery, and the windshield. It is safer to clean the vehicle upon arrival than to cover it while towing. Save the cover for when you are parked at the motel. JMHO