PDA

View Full Version : This looks familiar (12V Socket)

wd5gnr
08-03-2013, 12:28 PM
http://dx.com/p/youliang-yd-diy-water-resistant-motorcycle-modification-car-cigarette-lighter-socket-black-229735

I order from them some times -- might be worth picking one of these up to see if it fits. I have the liner in the frunk and I don't see any provision in it for exposing the wire though other than unzipping it, I guess.

Chupaca
08-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I installed one on my RS and it works and looks good. Quality is good and in the frunk it's well protected..:thumbup:

wd5gnr
08-03-2013, 02:15 PM
I installed one on my RS and it works and looks good. Quality is good and in the frunk it's well protected..:thumbup:

How hard was it to find the back of the hole? I got down there this morning and it looks like a bear to get up in there without lifting the bike.

DrewNJ
08-03-2013, 03:08 PM
How hard was it to find the back of the hole? I got down there this morning and it looks like a bear to get up in there without lifting the bike.

IMHO to do it right for a trunk install you need to remove the trunk and you need the template from the oem socket.
Yes, it can be done without removal. however, if you ever plan on doing a trunk liner or oem HID's then the EXACT correct placement of the outlet is pretty important. There just isn't a lot of wiggle room. The $30 BRP outlet comes with the template. So if you go with one of these try to find someone that has the template laying around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agent K
08-03-2013, 03:09 PM
I bought one at the auto parts store, attached it to the right speaker grill on the left side of the grill for clearance on the underside and pulled the wires to the fuse panel in the frunk. Pop the mirror and slide them right down to the fuse panel. It works great and has the water resistant seal top.

wd5gnr
08-03-2013, 04:20 PM
IMHO to do it right for a trunk install you need to remove the trunk and you need the template from the oem socket.
Yes, it can be done without removal. however, if you ever plan on doing a trunk liner or oem HID's then the EXACT correct placement of the outlet is pretty important. There just isn't a lot of wiggle room. The $30 BRP outlet comes with the template. So if you go with one of these try to find someone that has the template laying around.

My frunk has the hole in it with a rubber plug. So no need to cut it. Just need to get behind it and either find the wires or fish new ones.

DrewNJ
08-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Nice!

ARCTIC
08-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Where is the outlet supposed too be mounted? The previous owner installed mine and when I put the hid light kit in, I discovered where they mounted it doesn't work

JohnHunter
08-12-2013, 02:15 AM
I have a 2013 ST-S and installed a Marinco 12v outlet (from Amazon) which is exactly the same model/brand BRP sells but it's a fraction of the cost. My frunk already had the hole for the outlet with a rubber grommet covering it. The wiring harness is already there for the outlet. The hardest part is fishing the harness out through the hole to connect to the outlet. It can be done without removing the frunk. You just have to be patient and have nimble fingers.

DrewNJ
08-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Where is the outlet supposed too be mounted? The previous owner installed mine and when I put the hid light kit in, I discovered where they mounted it doesn't work

It's at the upper left corner of the trunk (as your sitting on the machine). However, clearance between the back of the trunk and the frame/shock mount is really small.
Off by just a bit one way and the wire harness plugs won't fit, off a bit the other way and it hits the HID ballast, off another way and the trunk liner won't fit.....hahaha