PDA

View Full Version : cruise control system

strictlyred
08-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Hi.. I am trying to fit my bike with as many items I can afford to to allow me to continue riding. Just found out I have Rheumatoid arthritis, reason for extreme hand pain.. riding the bike is very painful due to my knee issues and now my hands issues. Just put risers on..now I am thinking about cruise control, they do scare me , an incident with a friend on her spyder that almost killed her last year is now being blamed on the cruise control. Would love any input on this.sue

Chupaca
08-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I am not a fan of cruise control but then I am also not a fan of cruising. Where we ride you have little use for them. Not liking anything in control of my throttle I use the palm throttle and there is a drag system which releases with a button but you can push it back with no problem. There are nice units that work very well with no problems but you have to shop around check the mounting and releasing systems..good luck..!! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
08-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Hi.. I am trying to fit my bike with as many items I can afford to to allow me to continue riding. Just found out I have Rheumatoid arthritis, reason for extreme hand pain.. riding the bike is very painful due to my knee issues and now my hands issues. Just put risers on..now I am thinking about cruise control, they do scare me , an incident with a friend on her spyder that almost killed her last year is now being blamed on the cruise control. Would love any input on this.sue

I'm starting to feel my arthritis(A) too, but now I'm trying to get rid of this by finding out what causes (A).On my self my (A) act up on certain food I eat. When I take medicine it goes away temporarily but get worst later. I stop taking med now and stick what is causing and I am very successful in doing it. I can now use my cruise control with no problem.

ARtraveler
08-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I am not familiar with any aftermarket cruise control units. I do have the factory cruise on both RT's. I like to ride the highway and use the cruise control a lot. When I get to hills and curves, it is my usual proceedure to turn the unit off. I do have issues with pain, but so far, not with the hand that uses the throttle.

Oldmanzues
08-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Of course, I do not know the money situation, but it might be cheaper to go for a RT. Just a thought.
It took a while before I used my cruise control, but now, I use it on the interstate/4 lane. Try not to be out there, but travel time sometimes make a difference. Works great, touch brake, clutch or control button and it kicks right off
Good luck and ride safe
Oldmanzues

NancysToy
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM
As far as I know, the (Austrailian?) McCruise is the only true cruise control designed toi work on the Spyder. Not sure if others could be adapted, but the McCruise has been used by several Spyder owners...including Lamonster, I believe.

Tx web rider
08-01-2013, 03:33 PM
my 2009 rs se5 has the mc cruse on it it works reasonably good
you can over ride it easily by twisting the throttle for more speed as you need
you can also twist back some to slow if you need to due to creeping up on a slower vehicle and let go of the control to let it resume quickly

of course there is a brake deactivation switch one tap of the brakes and it shuts off

has a on/off button a set accelerate button and a decelerate button

very easy to use

only draw back i have on my Spyder is when you put the cruse on it takes a few seconds to take over and it tends to hunt for its sweet spot when set (will over run the speed then slow up till its happy )

Jonnyvermont
08-01-2013, 03:51 PM
I was uncomfortable with the cruise control at first, but as I become more accustomed to the Spyder, I use it more and more. I use it on roads where a constant speed is appropriate and easy. It make my ride smooth and enjoyable. I have noticed that when you tap the break, there is an abrupt decrease in speed. I just give it a little gas before I tap the break, and it is a smooth transition.

Can-Am Poogs
08-01-2013, 05:00 PM
I use it every time I get on the highway for a long stretch. It disengages nicely and quickly. Before I disengage it, I roll on the throttle and then tap the brake so there isn't that sudden lurching from lack of throttle. The only time I turn it off is for a sharp curve or when coming up on slower traffic. Never use in bad weather.

Jedye
08-01-2013, 06:20 PM
I have noticed that when you tap the break, there is an abrupt decrease in speed. I just give it a little gas before I tap the break, and it is a smooth transition.

Yep, roll the throttle a little and disengage. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

I use the CC a lot on the interstate when I take it to work. It's an hour long drive so it's very helpful.

But if I'm just "riding"... Nope, I like to vary my speed through the hills and curves.

But it's a good option to have. Even if you just click in on for a few minutes to stretch out your hands to relieve the fatigue.

Questions
08-02-2013, 07:51 AM
when you put the cruse on it takes a few seconds to take over and it tends to hunt for its sweet spot when set (will over run the speed then slow up till its happy )
First half of your problem sounds like the free-play in the carb cable isn't adjusted properly (I think it should take 10 presses of the set key in diagnostic mode to lift the engine off idle) and/or the initial pull isn't calibrated correctly - the computer expects a certain amount of slack in the system for the maths to work right when it first pulls on the cable, and it also pulls a pre-set amount of throttle. Yours is clearly out of whack.

Second half of your sentence (hunting) is because you're not on the right gain/sensitivity number for your bike.

Do yourself a favour and contact Tony or Frank and they'll sort you out quick-smart. Also be aware they offer new software upgrade for the cruise (at cost). It's somewhere on their website.

HedonismBot
08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
I love the cruise control for when my hand aches; however, my thumb will not reach the switch to activate it. I dunno if it is due to the pin in my thumb, but it is irritating. I wait for a nice straight stretch and start it with my left hand. Never had a problem with it freaking out and my foot is never far from the brake or right hand off the grip. Some of the people I know treat it like auto-pilot and mentally checkout with it on. I try to stay as vigilant as if it were off.

A lot of people swear by the http://www.crampbuster.com/ but i have yet to use one. At least it bypasses any sort of computer issue with the factory cruise control. It probably gives a sense of being more in control rather than a HAL 9000 fear of the Spyder trying to kill you.

strictlyred
08-08-2013, 08:39 PM
have cramp buster.. doesn't help with my arthritic hands

Dan McNally
08-08-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a 2013 RT Limited that came with cruise control. I love it and use it whenever traffic (or lack thereof) makes it feasible. Once on, it can be fine tuned to speed up or slow down with flicks of the thumb. +1 on the comment above about rolling up on the throttle before tapping the break or shifting, which cancel it. It really saves my hand from cramps and pain.