PDA

View Full Version : "JUST DROVE A CAN AM "TRIKE" AND HATED IT. "

Lamonster
06-23-2008, 08:03 PM
One of the members on my GL1800 site just posted this.
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=118018

Haven't got a reply back from him yet but I can say for sure it's him, not the Spyder that's the problem. ::)

Smylinacha
06-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh he's just askeered of it! Mr. 20 something trike experienced owner. Let him keep his GL whatever.,

bjt
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM
I love it when people have these "absolute" opinions like theirs is the only possible right opinion. ::) I could understand that someone is not comfortable or doesn't like the Spyder for some reason but to tell his buddy, who probably likes it, that he should sell it immediatly because it's dangerous is a little "over the top".

SPYMAN
06-23-2008, 08:26 PM
I love it when people have these "absolute" opinions like theirs is the only possible right opinion. ::) I could understand that someone is not comfortable or doesn't like the Spyder for some reason but to tell his buddy, who probably likes it, that he should sell it immediatly because it's dangerous is a little "over the top".

:agree: :agree: :agree:

SPYMAN

J-Dub70
06-23-2008, 08:36 PM
I would hate to be this guys friend! I know someone like this and he is an absolute pain in the :edit: This guy just couldn't be more wrong if he tried.

docdoru
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
"Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy."
Nora Ephron

RTGENE
06-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Lamonster
Help me understand
He has owned 20 GW trikes he is looking for another one ------out of 20 he has not found one he likes enough to keep.
So he rides one Spyder and hated it.
Sounds like he has a history of not liking 3 wheels.
smilingene

csmead
06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow. Had to go outside and pet my :spyder:
Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. Makes me very glad I never drove any of the 20 kinds of trikes (did not know there was 20 kinds... most of them homemade) that this guys has driven. This way I know that I have not picked up any bad habits....like being too judgemental, etc.

Ryno
06-23-2008, 09:03 PM
well.. My only issue is that he remarked about the safety factor in the steering.. (it steers with 2 - 7.5 inch wide tires) but he only rode for an hour.... lol.. maybe he is part of the 15% demographic that BRP was not targeting..

different strokes different folks.

NancysToy
06-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Funny, I had all those same feelings the first time I rode my Harley Servicar years ago. ;D
-Scotty

pphantom538
06-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Bought a :spyder: for my wife.I think this is the best trike built you can not buy a safer motorcycle. I have rode it, love it. I now ride a 1800 wing but the next ride will be a spyder.We are now back riding again I have no worries with her on her spyder behind me.Her 1st trip was 400 miles she was not tired after the days ride.She rode across loss gravel,dirt,grass at the camp ground.Spyder has truly put riding back in her life.Thank you Can Am :bigthumbsup:

:agree: and mine to.

AMTJIM
06-23-2008, 10:09 PM

Most Goldwing people are weird....there's mine!

NautiBrit
06-23-2008, 10:17 PM
This is a situation where no matter what is said, it will not change this rider's opinion. It reminds me of my kids when I wanted them to eat greens and there was no way, short of force feeding. And in keeping with the kids analogy, the kids excuses were not substantiated by the facts and neither were his. I have only test ridden a Spyder, but I did ride it hard and couldn't upset it sufficiently to endanger myself, others or to even feel unsafe. I hope he finds what he's looking for, but that seems doubtful since he just buys the same old, in a different color.

VIspyderman
06-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow, I just love the 1 hour experts. I have 15567 km's on mine since November 21st, 2008 and I still add the disclaimers... "in my opinion" or "I feel that...". But to be so blunt as he was, well, sounds a teeny bit like our newly departed friend... LOL.
Just my opinion... of course.

ld271
06-24-2008, 12:18 AM
first thing i'd like to see this guy do a panic stop or sharp turn on his goldpig trike when he ends up over the wind screen maybe he will think twice about the spyder wishing he had the safety improvements on his goldpig that that the spyder has o'well some people hate new inventions and would rather stay with the same old same old and don't think that change is good. every body i talk to regarding the two wheels in front thay all agree having the wheels in the front is much safer. As far as high reving engine when you ride a sewing machine forever and try a :spyder: for the first time thay don't know what to do well i think thay miss there cup holders,GPS,radios,intercom,hand and buttwarmer,cellphone,ipod,and fuzzy dice :joke:put them on a spyder and thay are going to hate it and find all kinds of things wrong with it

Tim
06-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Bought a :spyder: for my wife.I think this is the best trike built you can not buy a safer motorcycle. I have rode it, love it. I now ride a 1800 wing but the next ride will be a spyder.We are now back riding again I have no worries with her on her spyder behind me.Her 1st trip was 400 miles she was not tired after the days ride.She rode across loss gravel,dirt,grass at the camp ground.Spyder has truly put riding back in her life.Thank you Can Am :bigthumbsup:

Same Here. But I will keep my wing. Who says you can't have more than one toy..... ;D

Dwight
06-24-2008, 06:54 AM
I spent a lot of time on the GL1800 board when I had my Goldwing/Hannigan trike. This guy buys and sells trikes. When I sold my Wing trike he emailed me with a low ball offer and then continued to email me wondering why I wouldn't take his offer. He got pretty insistant that I sell to him, saying that he couldn't understand why I didn't take his offer. When I sold it I emailed him that it was sold, and at a price significantly higher than what he offered. That stopped the emails from him. Also notice he didn't say how many miles he had ridden trikes, just how many he had owned. His advice is worth just about what you think it is!

Note: I'm due to ride the demo Spyder this weekend in KC, hopefully the one with the electric shift. After 60K+ miles on conventional trikes I'm pretty excited about it.

Dwight

Trypod
06-24-2008, 09:14 AM
Sounds like he needs to spend more time riding (anything) than trading, he may actually develope some skills. IMHO

jeuchler
06-24-2008, 09:46 AM
My lovely bride and I were ryding the other day near the Vermont border of Massachusetts and we passed two Goldwing Trikes going opposite.

As they reluctantly waved to us, my lovely bride said, "Wow, they sure were riding those Spyders pretty fast in reverse!" :joke:

tatt2r
06-24-2008, 10:05 AM
my other vehicle is an H2 hummer .... there is a site called fuh2.com my opinion of people who rank on something that is obviously love by so many is that he has some other problems that we will never and don't want to ever know about .... don't like it don't buy it .... I'm placing an order next month for a second spyder .... love it I've driven trikes from vw to Harley hard straight axle and independent suspension and have yet to drive a vehicle that handles as well as the spyder ... my girlfriend who was hit on an hd in 1991 by a drunk driver and was clinically dead on the road swore never to get back on a bike again ..... she has driven the spyder now and loves it hens the reason I'm ordering a second one .... she feels safe and if anyone should feel worried about driving one it would be her .....
and there is a lot to be said "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it" so blow it out your a$$ buddy I'll take on any trike you have ....

tatt2r
06-24-2008, 10:34 AM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/tatt2r/dee.jpg
looks happy to me

Ghostwheel
06-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Should tell hime to try the Can AM Spyder not the Can AM Trike he would prolly like it better. ;D

Smylinacha
06-24-2008, 12:20 PM
My lovely bride and I were ryding the other day new the Vermont border of Massachusetts and we passed two Goldwing Trikes going opposite.

As they reluctantly waved to us, my lovely bride said, "Wow, they sure were riding those Spyders pretty fast in reverse!" :joke:

:a20: That was funny!

Lamonster
06-24-2008, 12:26 PM
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c269/tatt2r/dee.jpg
looks happy to me

http://spyderryder.brp.com/TRYSPYDER/SpyderImage.ashx?MediaID=eb62a9b9-5260-4516-b5dd-eef7aa9c6b3a&Format=Medium

Magic Man
06-24-2008, 12:52 PM
We ove ours and just ordered a SE5 2 weeks ago! So ,would we do it again? In a heartbeat!
MM

Rotaxrocket
06-25-2008, 05:18 AM
One of the members on my GL1800 site just posted this.
http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=118018

Haven't got a reply back from him yet but I can say for sure it's him, not the Spyder that's the problem. ::)

I went over to the Goldwing site and read this so called review. This guy is full of :edit:.I had a GL1800 when they first came out I believe it was a 2001. That being the case this guy has had 20 GL1800's in 7 years and lives in Pa. which can reduce the amount of riding time for most riders in winter. Doing the math something just doesn't add up for me. It's probably a good idea for him to continue to ride his GL1800 and never ride a Spyder again. Just my opinion of course.....

SpyderMark
06-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Maybe someone should post this over on the Goldwing site...

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080624/NEWS/91240681

Note in the article the patrolman believes the one of the rider's rear wheels lifted while he attempted to negotiate a turn. This wouldn't happen on the Spyder.

Regards,

Mark

Lamonster
06-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Maybe someone should post this over on the Goldwing site...

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article/20080624/NEWS/91240681

Note in the article the patrolman believes the one of the rider's rear wheels lifted while he attempted to negotiate a turn. This wouldn't happen on the Spyder.

Regards,

Mark

It was posted and is very sad news. I wouldn't use that to dis the other trikes. I didn't post this as a us against them post, I was just tweaked at how the guy went off about the Spyder as if he was some sort of expert after an hour ride.

My prayers go out the the friends and family of this fellow rider.

NancysToy
06-25-2008, 07:17 AM
It was posted and is very sad news. I wouldn't use that to dis the other trikes. I didn't post this as a us against them post, I was just tweaked at how the guy went off about the Spyder as if he was some sort of expert after an hour ride.

Amen. Well said Lamont.

Director
06-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Lamont, your reply to this guy on the GL forum was very diplomatic and thoughtful. How do you answer such outrageous and inaccurate statements other than to say, "Dude, you really don't know what you're talking about!" You did that in a nice way. Well done! :bigthumbsup:

Cheers,

Bruce

Lamonster
06-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Lamont, your reply to this guy on the GL forum was very diplomatic and thoughtful. How do you answer such outrageous and inaccurate statements other than to say, "Dude, you really don't know what you're talking about!" You did that in a nice way. Well done! :bigthumbsup:

Cheers,

Bruce

I've been married for 28 years so I've learned how NOT to say what I think. ;D

ataDude
06-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Bahawaaaaaaaaa! ;D

The single ataDude.

NancysToy
06-25-2008, 02:24 PM

I've been married 34, and I never did learn that trick. ;D

dbnc
06-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Only 12 years and if I could learn that trick maybe I can get to 28 and then 34... :a20:

NancysToy
06-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Only 12 years and if I could learn that trick maybe I can get to 28 and then 34... :a20:

Or don't learn the trick, like me. Just have a tolerant wife...that owns a Spyder. Ahhh, life is good!
-Scotty

MSGTDOC
06-25-2008, 07:05 PM
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT THE GUY IS TALKING ABOUT. THIS IS MUCH EASIER TO DRIVE. MAY BE HE WAS PUTTING IN TOO MUCH STEERING INPUT. WHO KNOWS.

FANG
06-25-2008, 08:22 PM
31 years here and know what u mean Lamonster. great reply :bigthumbsup:

MrChet
06-25-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey Lamont, How fast were you going in your Deal Gap videos that you posted? I heard you squeal the tires once while slowing down. ;D It looked like a fun time riding.

Lamonster
06-26-2008, 04:52 AM
Hey Lamont, How fast were you going in your Deal Gap videos that you posted? I heard you squeal the tires once while slowing down. ;D It looked like a fun time riding.

Much faster than that guy would have liked. ;D :spyder:

MrChet
06-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Much faster than that guy would have liked. ;D :spyder:

Nice answer, as to not incriminate yourself. :cop:
It was obvious from his reply about doing 60mph and then liking it better at 52mph that he's afraid of speed. I'd hate 60mph too if I couldn't find 3rd gear!!! He should have just let his wife ride him around and enjoy the view.
I notice that he never would say what trikes he had. But I don't think that Schwinn, Huffy, or Fisher Price should count. ::)

SpyderMark
06-26-2008, 07:49 AM

Of course, I too feel bad for this man's family and friends -- it's always sad to lose a fellow rider. My original post was more terse than I had planned due to time constraints. Reading it after the fact, I see how many would interpret it as a snide and nasty retort based on another's tragedy -- for that I sincerely apologize to the members of this forum. Luckily, we have a good moderator in Lamonster...

That being said, if I'd had more time yesterday, what I might have said is a discussion of this accident as regards the relative stability of a traditional trike vs the Spyder might save some lives. I come from a military aviation background. Discussing an accident after the fact is one of the primary tools used to prevent future accidents. These discussions were frank, open and dispassionate dissections of tragic events. Members participated without bias or prejudice with only one goal -- to understand what happened to prevent it happening again.

While one may consider my original suggestion tactless and impolitic (especially in light of the timing), the fact remains training and educating riders is by far the MOST EFFECTIVE method to prevent accidents. To be effective, a rider's training and education must include an understanding of the limitations of the machine they are riding.

I will admit basing the discussion on a newspaper account of the accident is a bit careless -- to have real value, such discussions should be based on fact, not supposition. But even if the individual involved did not lose control after lifting a rear wheel in a turn (as suggested in the newspaper article) every traditional trike rider knows -- or should know -- this is a dangerous possibility even under ideal riding conditions. Throw in an emergency avoidance maneuver and things can get out of hand very quickly.

I would guess the majority of members on the Goldwing site understand the compromises required to modify a motorcycle for trike duty. However, a general discussion of the physics involved with mention of how the Spyder's configuration and electronic systems -- specifically the VSS -- can aid a rider in emergency situations might prove enlightening for those with open minds.

Based on my experience, however, no amount of logical discussion will persuade those who refuse to "live and learn." As one man said, "Against logic, there is no better shield than ignorance."

Again, I apologize if I offended any members on this forum. I enjoy reading and posting here.

Regards,

Mark

tatt2r
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
my 2nd ex didn't understand me ... or my girlfriend .... i guess she never will ...... i don't know maybe it's me ... but i'm just not sold on it ... 28 years ....wow i've had 2 wives never made is past 10 with either .... do u think i'm doing something wrong ???

trikester
06-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Of course I liked the Spyder as soon as I test rode it but you might have guessed that if you looked at my avatar photo. I've built two of those Yamaha TW200 "tadpole" trikes. Before that I built two "off road" recumbent bicycle "tadpole" trikes. Before that I was riding a Greenspeed, an Australian recumbent "tadpole" trike.

I had to laugh when the "debriefing" took pace, after the Spyder test ride, because the guy was fishing for some exuberance from me, or remarks, about riding a trike that had the double wheels in front. I told him it is the only sensable way to design a trike. Then I pointed to the back of my truck in the parking lot. I had one of my TWTrikes in there because I was about to head up to Utah with it. Then he understood why I wasn't more interested in the fact that the Spyder had two wheels up front. If they were in back I wouldn't have been there for a test ride in the first place.

Long live the tadpole, we don't need the frogs.

Frank

Ryno
06-26-2008, 08:36 PM
I apologize here as well for my harsh reaction to the lame brain that posted about the spyder..

Although I would love to race him down the dragon.. see if lamonster can get the stretch closed for about 10 minutes... I may take that long after I dust him through the first 11 corners, and take it easy the rest of the way..

Man, if you could use Both lanes on that HWY without worrying about traffic.. That would be nice.

ataDude
06-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I apologize here as well for my harsh reaction to the lame brain that posted about the spyder..

Although I would love to race him down the dragon.. see if lamonster can get the stretch closed for about 10 minutes... I may take that long after I dust him through the first 11 corners, and take it easy the rest of the way..

Man, if you could use Both lanes on that HWY without worrying about traffic.. That would be nice.

I was waiting on the race. :dontknow: :doorag:

majinbusa
06-27-2008, 12:53 PM
This part is the one i like.

4. at 60 mph the bike revs at 4500-annoyingly loud

Maybe he don't know about a bike called Harley Davidson or never around one.

retread
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
The more I think about this guy, the more obvious it gets; he's a collector/seller, not a ryder. I've been riding more than 52 years, haven't found a bike I really didn't like, but then the last few got close to 100K put on them. I keep 'em for a while.

NancysToy
06-27-2008, 04:36 PM
The more I think about this guy, the more obvious it gets; he's a collector/seller, not a ryder. I've been riding more than 52 years, haven't found a bike I really didn't like, but then the last few got close to 100K put on them. I keep 'em for a while.

I suspect you're right. Just buys them to turn them, and rides just enough to feel he is part of the big scheme. I will admit that I collect, too. 23 motorcycles in the garage right now, but I don't sell much. Hope that makes me different. Still have the motorcycle I raced when I was 18, so I keep them a while, too. My 50th year of riding, and will admit that I have had some bikes I wasn't that fond of. My Honda fours were no treat, although I've owned several, and rode them all a long time. I have nothing good to say about my BSA Victor 441, either. Makes my starting leg hurt just to say the name! The Goldstar and XLCH weren't treats to start, but they were decent machines for the time. Never a fan of two-strokes, either, although an old Hodaka I had was the best dirt machine I ever owned. Bottom line...we can love them or hate them, and even state our opinions, but to be closed-minded and condemn any ride is just wrong. They all have good and bad points, and it is a highly individual interpretation of what is good or bad. Glad he's on another forum.
-Scotty

Lamonster
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Never a fan of two-strokes, either, although an old Hodaka I had was the best dirt machine I ever owned. -Scotty

Now that's funny. The reason I can wrench on bikes now is because I owned a Hodaka Super Rat ace 100. I would ride it for 2 hours and wrench on it the rest of the day. It was a love/hate thing to me. ;D :doorag:

NancysToy
06-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Now that's funny. The reason I can wrench on bikes now is because I owned a Hodaka Super Rat ace 100. I would ride it for 2 hours and wrench on it the rest of the day. It was a love/hate thing to me. ;D :doorag:

You think they are love/hate...how about the Brit bikes? ;D Mine was a hopped up and stripped down Ace 90, BTW.

trikester
06-27-2008, 11:53 PM
You think they are love/hate...how about the Brit bikes? ;D Mine was a hopped up and stripped down Ace 90, BTW.

Tell me about it. I now own 10 Brit bikes!

Frank

SpyderMark
06-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Tell me about it. I now own 10 Brit bikes!

Frank

I've ride an '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 triple -- so far nothing to hate. I guess that makes it a love, love... uh, love relationship!

Regards,

Mark

NancysToy
06-28-2008, 10:36 AM
I've ride an '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 triple -- so far nothing to hate. I guess that makes it a love, love... uh, love relationship!

I don't have any experience with the modern ones. Just lots of old ones. Have a 65 Bonneville in the garage right now and just looked at a 60 Cub that I am considering. Definitely high on the love/hate scale, but The love side always wins.
-Scotty

trikester
06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't have any experience with the modern ones. Just lots of old ones. Have a 65 Bonneville in the garage right now and just looked at a 60 Cub that I am considering. Definitely high on the love/hate scale, but The love side always wins.
-Scotty

Mine start with a 1927 Sunbeam and end with a 1954 AJS 18CS all the others are in between.

Frank

Napalmseth
06-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I have a Mongoose mountain bike.... ;D

NancysToy
06-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Mine start with a 1927 Sunbeam and end with a 1954 AJS 18CS all the others are in between.

Frank

Sounds like my kind of torture. Too bad you're half way across the country, I'd love to see your stuff. I delight in the pre-war stuff, but have neither the space nor the money to feed the habit. My collection is mostly early sixties Hondas, but I keep a Brit bike or two just to remind me how much I love/hate them.
-Scotty

trikester
07-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Sounds like my kind of torture. Too bad you're half way across the country, I'd love to see your stuff. I delight in the pre-war stuff, but have neither the space nor the money to feed the habit. My collection is mostly early sixties Hondas, but I keep a Brit bike or two just to remind me how much I love/hate them.
-Scotty

When I bought my little desert vacation cabin on five acres in eastern San Diego County CA, the guy on the adjacent five is a "snow bird" from Michigan (he always goes back there for the summer). He is a life long (now 86) motorcycle enthusiast and hard rider. You can imagine how happy he was to see a guy with an antique collection buy the place next door. :D

However he only gets to see them one or two at a time when I haul a bike or two out there for some lonely desert highway riding. So he's always asking me when I'm going to bring another antique out. But last Spring he was asking; "when are you going to bring that Spyder out here so I can see it before I go back to Michigan?" I did and he did. My first open highway cruise with the Spyder was to El Centro (jewel of the desert?) and back. I didn't stop in El Centro. :shocked:

Frank

dryheat
07-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Hodaka 125 Combat Wombat here! Was my first dirt bike and spent a lot of time in SE Ohio near the WV line. That thing had a power band about 5 rpm wide. If you were on it... hold on! However, if you got off it going uphill, be prepared to slide back to the bottom.
:D

Lamonster
07-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Hodaka 125 Combat Wombat here! Was my first dirt bike and spent a lot of time in SE Ohio near the WV line. That thing had a power band about 5 rpm wide. If you were on it... hold on! However, if you got off it going uphill, be prepared to slide back to the bottom.
:D

Forgot about the Combat Wombat.:D
Hodaka had the coolest names for their bikes. :2thumbs:

Super Rat
Combat Wombat
Dirt Squirt
Road Toad

http://www.starrfilm.com/articles/images/oth10.jpg

vtrider
07-08-2008, 05:59 PM
I loved the spyder as soon as I seen them. It was even more exciting when I was the first customer at my dealership to test drive the demo that happened to roll out of the service area once it was all set up to ride. Now I have a red spyder on order and can't wait for it to arrive.
I work with a gal that is a Harley fan, she doesn't ride bikes. Her brother is a harley
guy. She told me that the Harley riders or bikers in general will probably laugh at the spyder. I told her most bikers that I've talked to, Harley riders alike think it is cool.
Some bikers will like it, others may buy them others may not. To each there own. I had an ST1300 and I traded that for the spyder. For me it just feels safer riding two up with my teenage kids and they like the fun it gives them. Isn't that what it's all about anyhow? FUN!

Simon
07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Interesting "opinion" that guy has.

Coming from Sports Tourers (VFR), Choppers and 650+ horsepower cars... I've been telling everyone how safe I think the Spyder is, and how EASY it is to ride.

Almost too easy sometimes.

I love mine and will continue recommending it as a safe and fun vehicle for anyone.

I will also be pursuing the ability to turn off the VSS though... :yikes:

MWKE
07-28-2008, 01:37 PM
AHHHHH!!!!!! This quote from Lamonster over on that thread is killing me!!!!

Having two in front makes it much less tippy too with the wide foot print up front. If you recall Honda had some major issues with the ATC's tipping over and throwing the rider, that's why they replaced the ATC with the more stable four-wheelers.

Its not the Trike,,,,,Its the Rider!!! Ive been riding Trikes for over 30 yrs....And yes,,,,to the inexperienced....You will be eating a Sand Sandwich:clap: But,,,,I can still go where all the overpriced Golf Carts do!! Here are a few in my Stable....

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/Ninja%20and%20Tri-Z/3489533B3C87Ffp633Dot3E2323A3D3B-2.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/Ninja%20and%20Tri-Z/3489533B3C87Ffp633Dot3E2323A3D3B-1.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/Ninja%20and%20Tri-Z/HPIM3322.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/Ninja%20and%20Tri-Z/HPIM3321.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/Troys_R-4_1632pic.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/1.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/IMG_5778.jpg
My wife and I,,,Oregon Dunes Winchester Bay Clean up
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/MeandLisa.jpg
Ha ha!!!!! Me back in I think 1982!!!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/P10.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/IMG_5555.jpg

I have MORE!!!! but I will refrain,,,LMAO!!!! Sorry if I got out of hand:cheers:

MWKE
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
BTW....I just added this Trike on the 19th.....

Just over 600 in the Saddle and I love it!@!!!!!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k85/MWKE/IMG_6915.jpg

ghost
07-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Man, I feel young watching you guys talk!!!...lol j/j

ataDude
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Man, I feel young watching you guys talk!!!...lol j/j

You're a puppy, huh? ;)

What's the story behind your avatar pic? :dontknow:

ghost
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
;) Yep, 27 years young. My avatar was taken last August while I was still laying on the ground from my accident:( I had a brand new Zx10, only 620mi. on it, I just got the first oil change on it the day before and decieded to break it in.:D I got it up past 180 mph and stopped looking down....when I started into my next turn the bike started sliding from under me, so I jerked it up right as hard as I could b/c I knew I wasn't going to make it.....went straight into the median, hit a deep hole and the bike threw me off. The bike front end was completly ripped off and the rest was totaled.....I walked away with torn ligiaments on my collar bone and alot of missing skin....lol My friends riding with me would not let me move so I told them to stop staring and start taking pictures.:rolleyes:

ataDude
07-28-2008, 05:19 PM
;) Yep, 27 years young. My avatar was taken last August while I was still laying on the ground from my accident:( I had a brand new Zx10, only 620mi. on it, I just got the first oil change on it the day before and decieded to break it in.:D I got it up past 180 mph and stopped looking down....when I started into my next turn the bike started sliding from under me, so I jerked it up right as hard as I could b/c I knew I wasn't going to make it.....went straight into the median, hit a deep hole and the bike threw me off. The bike front end was completly ripped off and the rest was totaled.....I walked away with torn ligiaments on my collar bone and alot of missing skin....lol My friends riding with me would not let me move so I told them to stop staring and start taking pictures.:rolleyes:

Ah, ha... that's why it looked so familiar. Note what my "road name" means below. On my two worst ones, I only remember yelling "Oh, shyt, this is gonna hurt." Lots of these type of thingies, too:
http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/data/500/587ataDude-knee300x450.jpg

ghost
07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Ya, it sucks to see it coming:yikes: This is my result...lol
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l201/ghost1515_2006/l_17c81b4b973f6414e794b96d234320-1.jpg

sleepman
07-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow you 2 make me feel like I've gotten off lucky from my incidents. I've only had to deal with almost losing an eye, it drooped for quite a few years and still doesn't open as far as the other. And a total blank spot of about 45 minutes in my life. Kinda glad I don't remember my accident. Of course that was 15 years ago when I was 16, so now it's just a cool story.

NancysToy
07-28-2008, 07:27 PM
My first non-racing crash was in 68. OK, so I limp a bit. My second was about 3 1/2 years ago. Knocked unconscious for four hours (wearing a full-face helmet). That probably explains why some of my posts don't make much sense. ;) Glad your incidents didn't scare you folks away from riding, either.
-Scotty

TonyMac
07-28-2008, 07:28 PM
Wow! You guys are quite lucky. But you know what they say....Broken bones heal, chicks dig scars and glory is everything :doorag:

Trypod
07-28-2008, 09:29 PM
I don't suppose we really have to worry about it with our :spyder: 's unless something really strange happens....but when I first started riding bikes many, well, i won't go into how long ago.....I was told this, "There are only two types of bikers, those that have gone down and those that are going to." Through several episodes of broken bones and cases of road rash I always come back to that as being fact, so never questioned the theory. I have also never given up on riding, I do feel less likely to "go down" now thanks to :spyder:. All in all I've been really fortunate and probably blessed I'm still mobile, sombody loves me!!!:2thumbs: I can honestly say though, I can feel ya'lls pain, be careful out there. :thumbup:

Bimjo
07-28-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow you 2 make me feel like I've gotten off lucky from my incidents. I've only had to deal with almost losing an eye, it drooped for quite a few years and still doesn't open as far as the other. And a total blank spot of about 45 minutes in my life. Kinda glad I don't remember my accident. Of course that was 15 years ago when I was 16, so now it's just a cool story.

45 minutes? Try a whole week. Can't remember from 3 hours before the crash until I left the hospital. Broke my collar bone, 6 ribs, had a L1 compression fracture w/some disk damage for good measure & I blew my ACL in my left knee. Wore a back brace for 4 months. Still don't remember it.

Got back on 7 months later. Crashed 3 1/2 months after that (2 weeks ago).

Now you know why I'm interested in a Spyder. I'm gettin' tired of fallin' off! :)

Zerocool
07-29-2008, 06:40 PM
My biggest concern has to do with stopping distance. Last week a car ran a red light in front of me, I was the third vehicle in line to cross the intersection. At 45 mph I hit the brakes hard and quickly stopped, unfortunately the car behind me needed more distance. If I hadn't noticed him in my mirror I would have gotten creamed. I was able to accelerate quickly (Spydie does this well) and avoid getting slammed in the Can. (pun intended)

TonyMac
07-29-2008, 07:50 PM
Wow, those pictures of older 3 wheelers from MWKE look great and the bikes look new. Really bring back memories. :2thumbs:

For those of you younger folks who may not know, major motorcycle manufacturers once produced, in great number, three wheeled motorcycles with one in the front and two in the rear. They were great. The perfect bike to take to the dunes or to tool around the camp site. They were rugged, climbed like a billy goat and could take on streams of enormous depth.

Unfortunately, a well known quirk of physics made these vehicles a bit less than stable....ok they would tip over at the drop of a hat if you weren't careful. My buddy U-Boat Commander Bill (so named as he could bury his trike in the stream above the seat and keep running) and I used to wander all over the back end of Cibolo creek with our Kawasaki 250cc trikes and have a ball all day for a couple of dollars worth of gas. With a little skill, one could put one of these trikes up on two wheels at will and keep them there for as long as you wished. It was however, not to be and the government outlawed what was once a lot of fun. :(

Anyway, the sight of those beautiful trikes brought back a lot of memories. Here endth the lesson. Now get off my lawn you young whippersnappers ! ;)

MWKE
07-29-2008, 08:16 PM
It was however, not to be and the government outlawed what was once a lot of fun. :(

Anyway, the sight of those beautiful trikes brought back a lot of memories. Here endth the lesson. Now get off my lawn you young whippersnappers ! ;)

Its always Great to hear Stories of Back in the Day on my trike:2thumbs:

I need to address one Common misconception though.....The Big Three Honda, Kawi, and Yamaha were getting thier Butts Sued off from people that were Getting injured on the Three Wheeled thingies....Most of the Suits were from parents of kids that were riding WAY beyond their Skill level on WAY to big of Machines.....The Big Three got together and decide that they would Quit production for 20 yrs and continue the 4 Wheeled version....The Government NEVER banned the Trikes....Or as most people say when they see me...."Arent those OUTLAWED???" Well,,,,The 20 yr Cap has come and Gone....there are a few Smaller Companies playing with the idea right now....They are not actually making a Trike though....They are making a Conversion kit to go from Quad to Trike....Just like the OLD conversions that went from Trike to Quad.....

Xtreme unveiled the trike 2 yrs ago but I cant find a Freakin picture right now.......:dontknow:
But,,,,,Put a Trike front end on this Quad.....
http://www.nwmotowinner.com/images/Xtreme_quads.jpg

MWKE
07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was at the 2007 Indy Dealer Expo

http://www.atvriders.com/gallery/2007indydealerexpophotogallery/images/KE2F0148.jpg

MWKE
07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
:bowdown:BTW......Sorry to Hijack the Thread:bowdown:

TonyMac
07-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was at the 2007 Indy Dealer Expo

http://www.atvriders.com/gallery/2007indydealerexpophotogallery/images/KE2F0148.jpg

That looks like it would be a blast at some dunes like Glamis in California. Too cool for words.:b2b:

trikester
07-29-2008, 11:08 PM
The thing I like about my 2 in front wheel TW trikes in the dirt is that I can see exactly where my front wheels are going in the nasty stuff, and if I do dab my foot it doesn't get run over.

bjt
07-30-2008, 07:07 AM
... and if I do dab my foot it doesn't get run over.

That sounds like it's a big plus! :D

wtwing15
08-03-2008, 01:19 AM
Hi I ride a Goldwing 1800 and my wife has a Spyder when I ride the spyder I ride it as it was ment to no like a normal bike and I love them both.

cobweb
08-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Hi All !!.....this is my first thread here, so call me a newbie if you wish. I just read the opinion of the guy that hated the spyder. He stated "very dangerous"???? I have a (ladies bike ;) ) HD XL883C and I am selling it becoz I feel safer on the Spyder. (No offense to the HD nation) Maybe because it is a bigger cycle to ride or you don't have to worry about complete balance, but I feel that people notice Spyders more than cycles?? Just my opinion!! Everyone to their own! My Harley was my mid-life crisis. Now I enjoy riding more than ever on my SPYDER. Just wanted to state how I felt. Btw, if anyone interested in 883, just contact me...LOL
Cobweb
Chapmanville,WVwelcome:yes::cheers:

speedster200
08-03-2008, 09:54 PM
We should all shut up and ride. To each his own opinion. Just think it's one more Spyder for one of us to own and enjoy.

jodemonken
08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Hello all spyder owners. i just picked up my grey spyder from the dealers. I am loving the feel of the bike, riding it alone or whit my better half. got my 1000km check up next monday. rode the engine in at super cold norway temperature. :) had 3 dots in the temperature display the hole 700km ride home.

ataDude
08-04-2008, 10:41 AM
We should all shut up and ride. To each his own opinion. Just think it's one more Spyder for one of us to own and enjoy.

We're sincerely sorry we offended you. :yikes:

speedster200
08-04-2008, 04:05 PM
No offense taken. I'm going to enjoy the ride!!!