PDA

View Full Version : fan operation/hot running

jarhd3
06-23-2008, 07:35 PM
I recently saw some concerns about fan operation in hot weather and when stuck in traffic. I too am concerned as to why my engine cooling fan has not come on when stuck in sustained traffic in extreme temps.My engine has been consistently been 6 or more bars on the scale and a measured temp of approx. 223 degrees. This is pretty worrisome.The engine fan should have came on.Have gotten no responses from Can-am concerning this matter.Some one mentioned some mods for the fan operation? This fan should work FROM THE FACTORY-PERIOD! This is a standard function of the cooling systemand important for the safe operation of the vehicle and protection of the engine.Anyone else feel the same way? Cant figure this out.Anyone have a solution to the problem? Someone know how to fix this ? My over heat fans work fine on my other rides.Feel for you riders in the west and desert areas.

timpani
06-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I have wondered about whether my spyder is possible running hot. My machine usually registers about 2/3 of the way up graph. I have never noticed whether or not the fan is running. I usually attribute this to having a helmet on and the normal engine noise. My guess is this might still be within what is considered the normal temperature range for the spyder.

csmead
06-23-2008, 09:02 PM
Last week we started our over "100 degree days"...weather this week is a more bearable 97...but I digress.
I brought my Spyder home from work last week and we noticed that it had been running a lot warmer than usual...smelled funny also. I will keep a watch, having already reported to the dealership that it was running warmer than expected during the winter months. I will keep an ear open for the fan. Meanwhile, my right foot and lower leg recovered from the burn (from the extra heat)....I know...I had the wrong shoes and riding in Bermuda shorts.

ataDude
06-23-2008, 09:10 PM
I recently saw some concerns about fan operation in hot weather and when stuck in traffic. I too am concerned as to why my engine cooling fan has not come on when stuck in sustained traffic in extreme temps.My engine has been consistently been 6 or more bars on the scale and a measured temp of approx. 223 degrees. This is pretty worrisome.The engine fan should have came on.Have gotten no responses from Can-am concerning this matter.Some one mentioned some mods for the fan operation? This fan should work FROM THE FACTORY-PERIOD! This is a standard function of the cooling systemand important for the safe operation of the vehicle and protection of the engine.Anyone else feel the same way? Cant figure this out.Anyone have a solution to the problem? Someone know how to fix this ? My over heat fans work fine on my other rides.Feel for you riders in the west and desert areas.

To check your fan function, let it idle in the garage for a while. Closely check the heat gauge and the fan.

lightman02
06-24-2008, 05:53 AM
I guess one solution would be to talk to BRP on the issue. Getting the fan to come on sooner would really be a simple reprogramming of the ECM as the same sensor for the temp display is probably used for the fan trigger. I guess it would be worth a shot instead of having to do mods that shouldn't be required. I don't like the idea of manually triggering the fan as I think technology in the world as come a long way that it should be automatic if programmed correctly.

NancysToy
06-24-2008, 06:21 AM
I guess one solution would be to talk to BRP on the issue. Getting the fan to come on sooner would really be a simple reprogramming of the ECM as the same sensor for the temp display is probably used for the fan trigger. I guess it would be worth a shot instead of having to do mods that shouldn't be required. I don't like the idea of manually triggering the fan as I think technology in the world as come a long way that it should be automatic if programmed correctly.
:agree:

SpyderMark
06-24-2008, 07:12 AM
I too am concerned as to why my engine cooling fan has not come on when stuck in sustained traffic in extreme temps. My engine has been consistently been 6 or more bars on the scale and a measured temp of approx. 223 degrees.

Has your Spyder's computer notified you of an overheat condition? Has your Spyder entered "limp home" mode? If your Spyder truly overheats without a notification from the computer I would expect the system to vent coolant; has this happened?

I'm curious about your measured temp -- did you measure coolant temp? If so, where, when and how did you take the measurement?

I've noticed the fan on our Spyder is MUCH quieter than I expected. Is it possible the fan is running and you can't hear it?

Regards,

Mark