PDA

View Full Version : THE MOVE - Werner Enterprises to Pitbull Powersports

joet82
07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
It's been a crazy last year since leaving the navy in May 2012 (still getting paid till Aug 2012). Going to trucking school, free thanks to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, always thinking trucking would be my backup career, long term.

The most suprising thing was in January, half joking around, Ricky, owner of Pitbull Powersports, posted something on facebook about needing help setting up the shop as he was not only working towards his grand opening, but with the help of the MoGang, was setting up for SpyderFest, I said that if I lived in Missouri, I'd come work for him. His reply, "The job is yours if your want it." I was taken aback by this, and talked about it in PM on fb, making sure he was serious. He was, and I told him I'd think about it.

From that day till March I thought about it. Making sure finances were at least equal, making sure plans with a planned roommate were ok, and biggest thing of all, making sure my gut feeling was right. In March, I told Ricky I would accept his offer and in April, after SpyderFest, we sat down and talked about it in person. YES, I GOT RICKY TO SIT DOWN AND TALK ABOUT ONE THING! I'M AMAZED AS WELL. lol

After that meeting, we were both on the same page, but I couldn't take the job till at least August, as my job with Werner Enterprises, for the first year have an Apprenticeship Program with the VA where, with my OJT, I can get 13K on top of my regular pay. I wanted to get the whole sum without having to pay back anything for not completing the program, and so I had to make it to my first anniversary with the company, July 18th. Ricky showed concern cause he couldn't hire me right away, but understood my reasoning.

July 18th, I was home, cleaning out the company truck with exception of the things I'd need to get to Fontana, CA, to drop the truck off without having to get charged for another driver to be sent to Pacific, WA, to recover the truck. Horrible thing was, I had to fight with the weekend dispatcher for a few hours to not be sent to Cheyanne, WY, and instead, he sent me to SLC, UT, and then to Lodi, CA, with my assigned dispatcher getting me to Fontana from there the next Monday. I finally got into Fontana on the evening of the 23rd, and by the time I had cleaned out the truck, and turned it in to the shop at the terminal, it was about 9pm. I hung out for a while and relaxed while searching for a flight home....tough to find a cheap flight the night before.

after finding the cheapest flight available on the morning of the 24th, thanks to Southwest Get Away Now fares. I decided, instead of paying for a taxi, it was only 6 miles to the airport, and I had 8 hours to get there. even though the LA area is littered with gangs, and I kept an eye out for any tagging, I ended up only seeing 2 other people outside of a vehicle. 4 miles in, I saw a TA, and decided to take a break, get some food, and charge my phone. chilled there for about an hour. then continued the final 2 miles to the airport. got there safely, took a nap, and started the check-in process at 430am when they opened up.

I got home on the 24th, attended my first non-owner's rally, the Sun & Surf Run in Ocean Shores, WA. had a great time and was able to buy my first addition to my future ManCave, a signed baseball by Felix Hernandez, along with 4 of his bobble heads and 2 King's Court shirts, but a damn bidding war jacked the price up a little bit. lol

after the rally, I have had 3 days off of absolutely nothing to do. it's been a great break. :D thinking I'll wash the truck and Spyder today and call Camping World to see when my RV will be ready to be picked up. After it is, I'll pick up Sheila, my Can-Am DS450X, and bring them back home. then will pack up everything I own in the RV and truck and head south on I-5 to Hollister, CA, for a new seat on the Spyder (Farklitis never ends).

Will continue updates on my trip to Pitbull Powersports and Springfield, MO, as the milestones happen. :D

Mo Lee
07-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Look forward to seeing you again.

Bob Denman
07-31-2013, 04:29 PM
Wow! :shocked: It has been a whirlwind year for you!
And now it's going to get even better!! :ohyea::ohyea: :congrats:

OJ UK
07-31-2013, 06:40 PM
Good luck with the new job!! Ricky sounds like a cool guy to work with.

flamingobabe
07-31-2013, 07:54 PM
So excited for you...I've been following your plans for a few months....I was at PitBull a couple of weeks ago and asked about when you were coming out...please keep us posted on your travels...Good Luck.....is you in Springfield

GloryRyders
08-01-2013, 05:28 AM
Have a safe trip! :2thumbs:

bullant12
08-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Ricklen is going to be your boss... no more jokes to him now Joe!:roflblack:
Have a great trip and welcome to the middle states!:thumbup:

bruiser
08-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Good luck and safe trip.

Big Arm
08-01-2013, 10:27 AM
:congrats: on your new adventure, and best of luck with the new job !!!
I enjoyed talking to you at Spyderfest. Safe travels to the Mid-West.

ARtraveler
08-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Wishing you safe travel and good luck on the new job. The Springfield area seems to be very nice--so I am guessing you will be happy with your re-location. I visited the area a few years back (a Branson trip), and liked the area a lot. Was from MN at the time.

FaranH
08-01-2013, 04:21 PM
If you want a good home-cooked meal and a gorgeous view off the pack porch before you get to Springfield, just swing south a bit and stop by my house. It's not exactly on your way, but the ride from my house to Springfield is pretty fun. PM me if you want to take me up on the offer, Joe. Got a bed waiting! I'll even get my girls to move their toys off the guest bed! :thumbup:

joet82
08-01-2013, 05:01 PM
If you want a good home-cooked meal and a gorgeous view off the pack porch before you get to Springfield, just swing south a bit and stop by my house. It's not exactly on your way, but the ride from my house to Springfield is pretty fun. PM me if you want to take me up on the offer, Joe. Got a bed waiting! I'll even get my girls to move their toys off the guest bed! :thumbup:

awesome, thanks. though, it's not much of a ryde when I'll be driving my truck and towing my rv....that's if I stop by before arriving in Springfield. lol I will PM you though and we can figure something out.

spydermyke990
08-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Good luck on that new job!! I've heard plenty of horror stories about what Werner does to their drivers lol

bullant12
08-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Got a bed waiting! I'll even get my girls to move their toys off the guest bed! :thumbup:

You told us last time they were bump massagers hidden in the sheets!;)
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

joet82
08-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Good luck on that new job!! I've heard plenty of horror stories about what Werner does to their drivers lol

I actually had no major issues with Werner. my only 2, were that my first truck had a crooked seat, just from being old and the padding compressed, and the other was that the weekend dispatchers had a combined IQ of about 10.

joet82
08-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Step 2 complete. picked up my RV Friday night. packed half my things today. will pack the rest Monday and head south to Hollister, with stops at Pro Caliber in Longview, WA, and maybe a stop at a friends place in Eugene, OR. Hoping to be in Hollister on Wednesday and hang out with a couple friends while I work with Corbin to get my custom made seat. :D

joet82
08-06-2013, 06:33 PM
Step 1 of 5 complete. Safely made it to Hollister. seat apt is on Thursday. then it's back on the road, heading for Denver.

joet82
08-09-2013, 08:06 AM
and now Step 2 of 5 if finished...well, in a few hours when I check out and get on the road.

This is the new Corbin seat....it still looks weird having a backrest on my Spyder. lol

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151765919399723&set=pcb.10151765921969723&type=1&theater

don't want to just load the pics, cause the originals are too large and I don't want to hassle with making them smaller, so this is the link to one of the photos on fb. hope it works. lol wasn't my original idea for a design (too much of a hassle for custom stitching), but ir turned out AWESOME!

Next step is the 1200 miles to Denver. arriving there on or about Monday to visit friends. :)

*YAY! the link works!* there are 4 pics (click next 3 times to see all 4)

FaranH
08-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Seat looks great, Joe! See you soon (kinda)!

pitbull
08-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Needing some more good help here Joe,looking forward to another good spyder guy on staff. Its fun to know that I can trust you with our spyder family...because your one of us! This is huge step forward in the industry for us.

joet82
08-10-2013, 01:04 AM
Needing some more good help here Joe,looking forward to another good spyder guy on staff. Its fun to know that I can trust you with our spyder family...because your one of us! This is huge step forward in the industry for us.

only issue I forsee in the near future....I need to 'test drive' the new DS's, the Renegade, Outlander, Maverick, Commander, and the SeaDoo. need to know what they can and can't do so that I will be able to sell them better. :yes:

joet82
08-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Step 3 has been competed. chillin in Denver, CO. will be ryding a little tomorrow around town to knock out a couple errands and visit friends, then back on the road Tuesday unless I decide to change my schedule a little and hang out a day or 2 more. :D

joet82
08-15-2013, 02:22 AM
Step 4 - Complete - Stopped in Denver, CO, to visit a couple friends, and also pick up a surprise I had designed for Len and his family (and hopefully the rest of the shop) - (will post pics of the shirts later). I had a few extra hours so I decided to check out Mt Evans. The highest paved road in the world. I took a ryde up there, and at 14,200 feet, the Spyder never skipped a beat. :D I walked the 120 feet in Elevation to the tip top, and it was an amazing view. I also did it for another HAM (High Altitude Member Patch (CCRiders.org/ham), having had the patch for competing the 10 passes over 10K feet challenge on the return trip from SF 2012. :D after that, made my way back down the Mt, and ran into a T-storm which included 1/8" hail....I know know, this is the only thing I'm willing to stop for lol (when I'm not wearing the appropriate gear having brought only summer ryding and rain gear with me, hail still hurts). waited the cloud out and had lunch while warming up, and then proceeded back to the hotel.

Step 5 - Complete - Left Denver Tuesday, and made it to Salina, KS, and followed on the next day to Springfield, MO, and the final destination. :) pulled into PitBull, and introduced my 4 legged daughter to the crew, and gave Len his surprise, and he definitely likes them. :D Coltin was wearing his the rest of the day, though, it's like a cape on him right now, but he'll grow into it. can't wait to start pushing Spyders and the rest of the toys out the door. and ESPECIALLY THE DOWN & DIRTY FEST coming up Sept 21-23. :D Rush Springs Ranch in Pineville, MO, will be the generous host. :D Come out and get dirty with PITBULL!

GloryRyders
08-15-2013, 05:20 AM
.:congrats: on making it safely to Springfield!:yes:

flamingobabe
08-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Good to hear you made it to your new home.....I'll see you some time soon....

bruiser
08-15-2013, 09:02 AM
Happy to hear you made it. Waiting for the pics of the shirts. Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Desert Spyder
08-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Jolly good Joe! Maybe we will see you at the Fest.

joet82
08-17-2013, 02:02 PM
Jolly good Joe! Maybe we will see you at the Fest.

The only way you won't is if you don't stop by the dealership. lol