PDA

View Full Version : Water splash off rear tire and gets back wet

3wheelsrolling
07-31-2013, 02:01 PM
Do any of you notice that when it rains or if you have to go through a puddle your entire back gets wet? Not too long ago it started raining and I didn't get a chance to get rain gear on, I was more soaked than anyone else and it runs down your back to your jeans. Then on a dry day, there was a big water spot in the road that I couldn't avoid and it splashed up on my entire back.

Chupaca
07-31-2013, 02:08 PM
a bit more about your spyder...we have an RS 2012 sm5 and have not had any problems with wet backs. Maybe a pic of your roadster will help us find the problem..!! :dontknow:

joet82
07-31-2013, 02:13 PM
my guess is that he has the rear fender off. the purpose od the rear fender....to stop anything from flying up and hitting the ryders.

3wheelsrolling
07-31-2013, 02:18 PM
my guess is that he has the rear fender off. the purpose od the rear fender....to stop anything from flying up and hitting the ryders. Nope, rear fender is on. It's as when it was purchased from the dealer, no modifications. Stock fender.

3wheelsrolling
07-31-2013, 02:23 PM
a bit more about your spyder...we have an RS 2012 sm5 and have not had any problems with wet backs. Maybe a pic of your roadster will help us find the problem..!! :dontknow: Mine is a 2009 RS. I'll take a picture tonight and post.

joet82
07-31-2013, 02:25 PM
I have an 09 RS as well, and my back doesn't get wet. if you're really concerned about it. get a leather or waterproof jacket.

baldeagle55
07-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Do any of you notice that when it rains or if you have to go through a puddle your entire back gets wet? Not too long ago it started raining and I didn't get a chance to get rain gear on, I was more soaked than anyone else and it runs down your back to your jeans. Then on a dry day, there was a big water spot in the road that I couldn't avoid and it splashed up on my entire back.I get back wet from 2011 rt I put mud flap on

scott16119
07-31-2013, 02:43 PM
I've noticed this little design flaw on my 2012 rt also.

Topshotta
07-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Do any of you notice that when it rains or if you have to go through a puddle your entire back gets wet? Not too long ago it started raining and I didn't get a chance to get rain gear on, I was more soaked than anyone else and it runs down your back to your jeans. Then on a dry day, there was a big water spot in the road that I couldn't avoid and it splashed up on my entire back.

2012 RSS. Drove in the rain before and drove thru several puddles and no wet back

DrewNJ
07-31-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm running basically fenderless (ZX14 Fender) on my 2012 RS and my back doesn't get any more wet than my front when riding in the rain.....:p
If I have a passenger then my back doesn't get wet at all...:2thumbs:

Luvs2Ride
07-31-2013, 04:23 PM
I have a 2012 RTS SE5... back fender is original. Rode as a passenger last summer with our trailer and got drenched... while wearing gore-tex rain gear. My husband stayed totally dry.

Became aware of water trickling down both sides of my neck... couldn't even hold the neck of my rain jacket tight enough to stop the water... when we stopped for gas (and dry shirt for me) I was drenched to my waist (front and back).

Am now driving the :spyder2: but haven't been in rain. Was hoping that drenching wouldn't happen again since I'm farther away from the back wheel. :shocked:

NancysToy
07-31-2013, 04:29 PM
The RT gets a lot of wind backlash, which carries the crud forward onto the back of the rider and especially the passenger. The 2010's are the worst, with larger windshields and more severely angled lower deflectors. The RS can do much the same with a larger windshield. The only solution is to slow down if it is a result of backlash. Also note that some tires throw more water than others, so that can enter into the equation, especially with no rear fender on an RS.

Flanker
07-31-2013, 09:00 PM
2012 RSS. Drove in the rain before and drove thru several puddles and no wet back

Ditto!

Questions
08-01-2013, 05:15 AM
The RT gets a lot of wind backlash, which carries the crud forward onto the back of the rider and especially the passenger. The 2010's are the worst, with larger windshields and more severely angled lower deflectors. The RS can do much the same with a larger windshield. The only solution is to slow down if it is a result of backlash. Also note that some tires throw more water than others, so that can enter into the equation, especially with no rear fender on an RS.
I have a 2012 RS :spyder2: standard mudguard on rear ( fender to you guys ) and went to a rally a couple of weekends ago, it rained about 2 inchs for the trip over there and did not get a wet back , but i did have my wet weather gear on.;)

Raybo......

Bob Denman
08-01-2013, 06:27 AM
YOu're sitting outside on a moving vehicle in rainy or wet conditions; who ever told you that water wouldn't be involved? :dontknow:
Gear up; flap the bike, or ride when it's sunny... (Sorry! My coffee must not have kicked in yet!)

Topshotta
08-01-2013, 06:58 AM
YOu're sitting outside on a moving vehicle in rainy or wet conditions; who ever told you that water wouldn't be involved? :dontknow:
Gear up; flap the bike, or ride when it's sunny... (Sorry! My coffee must not have kicked in yet!)

Bob,
too funny, I simply carry ziplock bags to put my wallet and phone. Most times I skip the rain gear.

Bob Denman
08-01-2013, 07:14 AM
That's a wise choice too!
I try to keep my "eyes to the skies" when planning a ride, riding, or even thinking about riding... :D

Bob Ledford
08-01-2013, 07:26 AM
If the problem continues to worry him the easiest solution that I can come up with is "slow down when approaching big water puddles." Instead of trying to blow all the water out of them. Makes sense to me:duh:

dmdahnert
08-01-2013, 08:23 AM
We have the 2010 RT A&C SE5 and my passenger has yet to get a wet back when riding in the rain/puddles. Bike is stock as far as windshield, rear tire and deflectors although I have added the Baker air wings as well. If my passenger were getting a wet back on a regular basis I would be informed of it pretty quick and let's just say there was a lot of rain at SF this year. Must be the nature of the beast and the synergy of the driver. :)

H.L.Spyder Guy
08-01-2013, 09:43 AM
On my 2012 RSS I will get a wetter back if I leave my brp back rest on than if I just have the rear deck plate on.

Look at the bright side, you can only get so wet. Once your wet your wet!! It doesn't really bother me until the temp hits 32 degrees then it feels like your riding a Popsicle

quickster47
08-01-2013, 12:20 PM
During the last month or two my wife and I have adopted the motto that "If it ain't rainin' we don't RYDE". Just seems to follow us everywhere.

Sorry for the distraction from the original thread intent. ;)

Carl

myronmathis
08-04-2013, 02:42 PM
I dont have that problem but I still have my fender over my rear tire, i only see that happening if the fender is not there