PDA

View Full Version : Cloaking device in working order

steve635
07-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Must be, I had 4 vehicles turn left in front of me in less than 10 miles. One of which turned so close in front of me she had to turn onto the left side of the street, because had she come past the median I would have definitely hit her.
Fortunately I always ride defensively and usually (at least on busy roads) right near the posted speed limits. Still there is no there is no defense for the highest levels of stupidity!

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 01:14 PM
:shocked: Maybe you should upgrade to Romulan style disruptors too! :D

ARtraveler
07-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Keep up those defensive driving tactics. You just never know when the "stupid driver alert" will activate.

Chupaca
07-30-2013, 01:54 PM
You have to drive defensively 100% of the time. Believe no one, trust no one, rely on no one. Have had too many drivers stop at an intersection look both ways and pull out like I was not bearing down the road..it's unbelievable what these drivers think bikes can do..be safe..!! :thumbup: glad you made it through the day..!!

boborgera
07-30-2013, 02:28 PM
It happens left turners turning in front of you whether you're on a Trike or in a Car/Truck, Its just when you're on a Bike or Trike it becomes more upfront and personal. :yikes: It's gonna happen can't stop them, So you just have to think every car at an intersection will turn in front and cover your brake at intersections when a car is there.

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 02:32 PM
I always try to figure that the moron coming at me:
is a blind, drunk, cellphone using, texting steroid abusing sufferer of road rage, whose wife just left him for somebody who looks just like me... :shocked:

mindman
07-30-2013, 02:38 PM
is a blind, drunk, cellphone using, texting steroid abusing sufferer of road rage, whose wife just left him for somebody who looks just like me... :shocked:

Agree! It's always best to ride like you're invisible!

jerpinoy
07-30-2013, 03:03 PM
I did'nt see anybody(bikers) this is the most answers. So we have to be very visible to help us protect from harm. It's not 100% but anything we can do will help.

bruiser
07-30-2013, 05:49 PM

Dr. House I presume.

TicketBait
07-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Didn't use to but I now always ride with my high beams on during the day.

billrob71
07-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Always drive on the defense!!! Too many younger drivers paying more attention to there phones then the road or simply just not paying attention. :lecturef_smilie:

jwulf74
07-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Same thing with my wife on her tip-over last Saturday. We were on a poker run towards the end. I was right behind her. Guy left turns in front of her. We were going about 50 in a 55... she locked the back brake, not sure about the front. She managed to swerve and miss the back of the truck but did low-side and rolled. Thankfully we do ride with full gear but no knee armor...just jeans. Her saftey course and riding gear absolutely saved her life leaving her with only banged up knees and a wrecked bike. Seeing an orthopod in 2 days to evaluate any soft tissue damage. Many experienced cyclists have died at that same intersection...

flaggerphil
07-30-2013, 10:38 PM
Same thing with my wife on her tip-over last Saturday. We were on a poker run towards the end. I was right behind her. Guy left turns in front of her. We were going about 50 in a 55... she locked the back brake, not sure about the front. She managed to swerve and miss the back of the truck but did low-side and rolled. Thankfully we do ride with full gear but no knee armor...just jeans. Her saftey course and riding gear absolutely saved her life leaving her with only banged up knees and a wrecked bike. Seeing an orthopod in 2 days to evaluate any soft tissue damage. Many experienced cyclists have died at that same intersection...

What was she riding?

jwulf74
07-30-2013, 10:50 PM
She was on a Vulcan 500. I was on our Spyder behind her.

moslopoke
07-31-2013, 05:27 AM
I have been riding for 50 yrs. I am always assuming that someone else is going to do something stupid. I am always plotting my escape route. I have taken motorcycle safety courses, I got motorman's ride like a pro dvds. In short I am trying to be safe. I find it interesting that with the spyder in the short time I have had it I have had 10 near misses in 2 weeks time, more than the last 4 yrs with my Harley. In some cases people are on the phone and are not looking my way, other times they are staring right at me. Once someone stopped looked right at me and pulled out.

I thought the spyder would be more visible than a black Harley, guess not.

So in town always assume everyone is out for you...

Bob Ledford
07-31-2013, 07:13 AM
In today's distracted society one must try to be as high visible as possible. We ride with hi vis vests etc all the time. Even that gets you cut off at times.

LeClaireRog
07-31-2013, 08:00 AM
I always ride like I am invisible. My wife and I attended an MSF training class in the spring. I'd recommend that once a year.

Fortunately we live in Iowa, in the country, and there is a lot less traffic (and intersections) than what some of you experience.

finless
07-31-2013, 08:20 AM
I have had 3 friends in my life die because someone turned left in front of them at an intersection!
But this also was before helmet laws and they were not wearing helmets. All 3 of them died due to head injuries.

When I approach an intersection that has a non-arrow controlled left turn, I flash my brights a few times and be ready to react.

Bob

steve635
07-31-2013, 12:59 PM
I have had 3 friends in my life die because someone turned left in front of them at an intersection!
But this also was before helmet laws and they were not wearing helmets. All 3 of them died due to head injuries.

When I approach an intersection that has a non-arrow controlled left turn, I flash my brights a few times and be ready to react.

Bob

I had a friend of my daughter's, kid was 19 years old and a new rider. He had taken the MSF class and his uncle was following him after he picked up the used bike he had just bought. He had on a new full faced helmet, riding jacket with armor, gloves, jeans, and riding boots. He was doing 40-45 (in a 45 zone) when a 74 year old lady who had been stopped at a stop sign, inexplicably pulled right into his path.he immediately hit her, his helmet hitting the A post and killing him immediately.
Safety gear is a good thing and in certain situations can be the difference between life and death. But safety gear does not guaranty riding is "safe" anymore than riding without guarantees injury or death. Riding a motorcycle (and personally I think riding a Spyder without ATGATT is likely "safer" than riding a 2 wheeler with.....but that's purely my speculation from 35+ years of riding) is inherently dangerous. Beyond that we can lessen the danger somewhat with good riding skills and safety gear, but I think it does little good to pretend that we're not engaging in dangerous activity, that only the guys without the helmets, or the guys who ride beyond our limits are.

willey
07-31-2013, 09:31 PM
When you put your boots on in the morning,you don`t know who will take them off that night.I have been ridding for 47+ years and have ridden in 47 of the lower 48 states.I can`t say one state is worse then another.We ride a yellow 2013RTS with 8 lights on the front,looks like an airplane coming in for a landing,and people still don`t see us.This is the first bike that I have had with a radio.I turn it off when I am in a town because it is a distraction for me and I don`t need that.Some food for thought as for flashing your lights and riding with your high beams on.Some folks interpute your flashing lights as permission to proced and the next time a bike is approaching you with his high beams on,try to determine his speed and distance.just a little tough to do.This is our first spyder We bought it the 27th of may and have 7,600 trouble free miles in the first two months.That is easy to do when you are retired. Hope to see you on the road and ride safe!!!!!!!!

Flanker
08-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Must be, I had 4 vehicles turn left in front of me in less than 10 miles. One of which turned so close in front of me she had to turn onto the left side of the street, because had she come past the median I would have definitely hit her.
Fortunately I always ride defensively and usually (at least on busy roads) right near the posted speed limits. Still there is no there is no defense for the highest levels of stupidity! :cus: ! That IS a bad streak of stupid/distracted driver syndrome! Glad you were on top of your game! Lights and such are good, as is a defensive mind set, and quick reactions and good rider skills. Obviously, what you wear is YOUR business, but I can't help note that in many rider photos on this site; many riders will mount all kinds of UFO lookin' visibility stuff on their rides, then top it off with black, gray or other dark color riding apparel including their helmet. The perfect plan for, shall I say, "blending in with" the pavement. :yikes: That's just me though................................glad you dodged the dummy!

Bob Denman
08-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Forget about riding defensively; I say that it's time to go on the offensive! :gaah:
72981 :joke:

Jharpo
08-01-2013, 01:28 PM

Bob

In many parts of the country, flashing your lights is a signal that its safe to pull out or turn!

boborgera
08-01-2013, 02:04 PM
In many parts of the country, flashing your lights is a signal that its safe to pull out or turn!

:agree: same here in NJ/NY.......

wolphspyder
08-01-2013, 02:27 PM
I agree with running with high beams on...and of course driving defensively....all these years of being law enforcement, I have found that a lot of people can't even see the flashing headlights or even the strobes on top of my work ride, let alone hear a siren.They still either hit the brakes or make a left turn in front of you..So just be super careful when riding.....too many non drivers out there.:yikes::cus:

CurtG
08-01-2013, 04:43 PM
:cus: ! That IS a bad streak of stupid/distracted driver syndrome! Glad you were on top of your game! Lights and such are good, as is a defensive mind set, and quick reactions and good rider skills. Obviously, what you wear is YOUR business, but I can't help note that in many rider photos on this site; many riders will mount all kinds of UFO lookin' visibility stuff on their rides, then top it off with black, gray or other dark color riding apparel including their helmet. The perfect plan for, shall I say, "blending in with" the pavement. :yikes: That's just me though................................glad you dodged the dummy!

Exactly why when I bought my new helemt (Bell Revolver) I got it in hivis yellow. Not the total answer but I figure every little bit helps.

Ride safe,

NancysToy
08-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Exactly why when I bought my new helemt (Bell Revolver) I got it in hivis yellow. Not the total answer but I figure every little bit helps.

Ride safe,
Good move! Hi-vis clothing is the only thing that has been statistically proven to reduce motorcycle accidents. Clothing on body parts that move frequently, i.e. jackets and helmets, are the most effective.

Bob Denman
08-01-2013, 06:12 PM
So then why is black such a popular color for helmets? :dontknow:

boborgera
08-01-2013, 06:48 PM
So then why is black such a popular color for helmets? :dontknow:

The reason Probably is' because black goes with everything....:dontknow:
​[and it's very manly]

finless
08-01-2013, 09:20 PM
Black does seem the most popular even for jackets, etc!
I went to 3 shops around my area looking for jackets. One store only sold motorcycle cloths and accessories. Every store 95% of the choices (manufacturers) that they had were black or dark grey. Very little in Hi-vis colors. A few models at least had Hi-vis strips in silver. What I had to do is find a jacket I liked and fit well then order the Hi-vis model from them from their catalog.
I did noticed most the Hi-vis cloths they did have were on the close-out rack.

So it seems black is popular right now for some reason.

Bob

steve635
08-02-2013, 06:43 AM
Black does seem the most popular even for jackets, etc!
I went to 3 shops around my area looking for jackets. One store only sold motorcycle cloths and accessories. Every store 95% of the choices (manufacturers) that they had were black or dark grey. Very little in Hi-vis colors. A few models at least had Hi-vis strips in silver. What I had to do is find a jacket I liked and fit well then order the Hi-vis model from them from their catalog.
I did noticed most the Hi-vis cloths they did have were on the close-out rack.

So it seems black is popular right now for some reason.

Bob

Popular right now? As I recall every biker in "The Wild Ones" wore black and that's from 1953. I think black has always been popular because it looks cool and hides dirt and stains. I still wear black, but with hi-vis stripes. I think the contrast between the black and the stripes may also help catch the eye.

NancysToy
08-02-2013, 06:51 AM
These arguments defending black remind me of the old "But Mom, everybody is doing it" sort of thing. Like it or not, fashion statement or not, hi-vis clothing is the only thing to have shown a reduction in the accident rate. Even Harley advertises its use now...and several states also have hi-vis aspects to their motorcycle safety campaigns. Wear what you like, just don't be surprised if you are "invisible" because you do so. :D

Bob Denman
08-02-2013, 06:55 AM
:agree: http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gifhttp://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_3_158.gif :shocked:

jwulf74
08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Popular right now? As I recall every biker in "The Wild Ones" wore black and that's from 1953. I think black has always been popular because it looks cool and hides dirt and stains. I still wear black, but with hi-vis stripes. I think the contrast between the black and the stripes may also help catch the eye.

Unless you are a zebra and then you just blend in...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: