PDA

View Full Version : BajaRon Sway Bar Installation for 2013 RT-S

stewartj239
07-29-2013, 08:29 PM
I installed the BajaRon sway bar on my 2013 RT-S over the weekend and I thought I’d share the experience I had for installing it. First off, I know that the pictures look scary and it seems that the Spyder is about to topple over, but in reality, it was super stable and not going anywhere. Here is what I did to get the job done:

I first backed the Spyder onto a car ramp so that the rear wheel was elevated. The parking brake was on and I had it in first gear (SM5).
I located some pressure treated boards that ran the entire length of the frame tube which really helped with the stability of raising the Spyder on the ATV lift.
Starting out with 2 boards on the ATV lift, I raised it high enough to put car ramps under the front 2 wheels.
I then added additional boards and paver bricks under the wheels in increments.

The directions do call for the Spyder to be 22”-24” off the ground, but I was able to get the old bar out and the new one in by raising it exactly 18-1/4” off the ground. This measurement was taken from the bottom of the frame to the ground.

The directions provided were excellent and the actual removal and installation of the sway bar is quite easy. The only two challenges to the entire procedure were:

Getting the Spyder raised off the ground. As stated, if you take your time, it is not that difficult. I did have car ramps and paver bricks under each wheel, but the ATV lift was always underneath it which was holding the brunt of the weight.
When you’re removing the deflector panels, there is a bolt and nut on the outside that have to be removed. The nut came off without any trouble, but the bolt would not slide out. Come to find out, it is held in place by some kind of slotted washer that prevents it from falling out. I ended up having to pry / wiggle the bolt out using a pair of vise grips.

Overall, I think the installation went great and the new sway bar seems to be a quality product. I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet due to rain, but I will report back what my impressions are.

72824 72826 72827

Huddleston
07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
I installed the BajaRon sway bar on my 2013 RT-S over the weekend and I thought I’d share the experience I had for installing it. First off, I know that the pictures look scary and it seems that the Spyder is about to topple over, but in reality, it was super stable and not going anywhere.....

Weebles Wobble but the don't fall down.:clap:

BajaRon
07-29-2013, 09:39 PM
I installed the BajaRon sway bar on my 2013 RT-S over the weekend and I thought I’d share the experience I had for installing it. First off, I know that the pictures look scary and it seems that the Spyder is about to topple over, but in reality, it was super stable and not going anywhere. Here is what I did to get the job done:

I first backed the Spyder onto a car ramp so that the rear wheel was elevated. The parking brake was on and I had it in first gear (SM5).
I located some pressure treated boards that ran the entire length of the frame tube which really helped with the stability of raising the Spyder on the ATV lift.
Starting out with 2 boards on the ATV lift, I raised it high enough to put car ramps under the front 2 wheels.
I then added additional boards and paver bricks under the wheels in increments.

The directions do call for the Spyder to be 22”-24” off the ground, but I was able to get the old bar out and the new one in by raising it exactly 18-1/4” off the ground. This measurement was taken from the bottom of the frame to the ground.

The directions provided were excellent and the actual removal and installation of the sway bar is quite easy. The only two challenges to the entire procedure were:

Getting the Spyder raised off the ground. As stated, if you take your time, it is not that difficult. I did have car ramps and paver bricks under each wheel, but the ATV lift was always underneath it which was holding the brunt of the weight.
When you’re removing the deflector panels, there is a bolt and nut on the outside that have to be removed. The nut came off without any trouble, but the bolt would not slide out. Come to find out, it is held in place by some kind of slotted washer that prevents it from falling out. I ended up having to pry / wiggle the bolt out using a pair of vise grips.

Overall, I think the installation went great and the new sway bar seems to be a quality product. I haven’t had a chance to try it out yet due to rain, but I will report back what my impressions are.

72824 72826 72827

Looks good to me! Less scary than some things I have tried in the past. Main thing is to NOT be in a hurry and to take your time. My instructions do exaggerate the lift amount a bit but I want people to be prepared and having to lift it less is better than more.

Hope you love the bar! Looking forward to hearing 'The Rest of the Story'!

stewartj239
07-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Weebles Wobble but the don't fall down.:clap:

I told you it looked scary!!! Believe it or not, I could have climbed up on it with no fear of it moving. It was solid. As stated, the key is taking your time .....

stewartj239
07-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Looks good to me! Less scary than some things I have tried in the past. Main thing is to NOT be in a hurry and to take your time. My instructions do exaggerate the lift amount a bit but I want people to be prepared and having to lift it less is better than more.

Hope you love the bar! Looking forward to hearing 'The Rest of the Story'!

Ron - I took the Spyder to work today and have gotten to know how it handles on my route. The round trip is just 60 miles, but I have to say the bar is a winner. Honestly, it is hard to believe that it makes as big of difference as everybody says it does, but I think I'm a believer. It definitely feels much more planted in the turns and on the highway - there were heavy cross winds today, so it was noticeable. I also want to say that the stability control system did not kick in as quick as it did before with the stock bar - does that make sense? My wife and I are going out tonight on it, so I'll continue evaluating.

BajaRon
07-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Ron - I took the Spyder to work today and have gotten to know how it handles on my route. The round trip is just 60 miles, but I have to say the bar is a winner. Honestly, it is hard to believe that it makes as big of difference as everybody says it does, but I think I'm a believer. It definitely feels much more planted in the turns and on the highway - there were heavy cross winds today, so it was noticeable. I also want to say that the stability control system did not kick in as quick as it did before with the stock bar - does that make sense? My wife and I are going out tonight on it, so I'll continue evaluating.

Your experience sounds typical. You will probably notice the bar even more with 2 of you riding. The passenger usually has a much better experience.

The problem is that expectations have gotten so high that it can be difficult to meet them. The way you can REALLY tell is after you get used to the bar, ride a Spyder that doesn't have one. That will really make a believer out of you.

MouthPiece
07-31-2013, 11:00 AM
Just pray that you don't have an earthquake!!!!
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72824&d=1375147731&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72824&d=1375147731) http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72826&d=1375147755&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72826&d=1375147755)
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72827&d=1375147778&thumb=1 (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72827&d=1375147778)

stewartj239
07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Just pray that you don't have an earthquake!!!!

Funny ... that thought DID cross my mind. I got it off the ground, got the bar swapped out and got it back on the ground as soon as humanly possible.

bullant12
07-31-2013, 08:52 PM
Nice lifting... Nothing that I would do but whatever works!:yikes:

dshogman
08-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Just curious, what do folks do with the OEM sway bar when it is removed? Prop up the garage door? Huh?