PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick help.

Can-Am Poogs
07-29-2013, 04:36 PM
I am out at the lake. Have rt sm5. Showing my wife how to Get going in first. She stalled it on the first go. No big deal. But the check engine light has come on and won't go off. And then it overheated. I think when she started the bike she got it going without the mode button, I think because it had been recently turned off she was able to do this. It beep as soon as it was started. We had no problem before that. Just got off the highway from an 80 km ride from the city. Any quick advice on how to clear the check engine. Also noticed the fan didn't kick in when it got hot. What the heck. Its been running great all summer. Please help. Need to head back to city in an hours.

NancysToy
07-29-2013, 05:35 PM
The overheating can certainly be caused by the fan not working. Check the relays in the fuse box to see that they are well seated (especially relay R4), and check fuse F4 to see that it isn't blown. You can call up any active failure codes on the RT by pressing MODE, SET, and the turn signal cancel simultaneously. The alphanumeric codes will be shown on the display and can be looked up in a shop manual if you have one, or interpreted here by one of us. If the cause of the check engine light has been corrected, it can be reset by turning off the key, waiting about 30 seconds, and restarting. If you received an overheating warning but the temperature gauge reads normally, it could be high ambient air temperatures.

billybovine
07-29-2013, 05:43 PM
I agree with Scotty and give his advice a try. I would like to add that your wife did nothing wrong. It is normal not to need to press the mode button after stalling the engine. In fact it is normal to turn off the ignition and remove the key and as long as you turn the ignition back on within 5 minutes you do not need to press the mode button.

Can-Am Poogs
07-29-2013, 07:40 PM
The overheating can certainly be caused by the fan not working. Check the relays in the fuse box to see that they are well seated (especially relay R4), and check fuse F4 to see that it isn't blown. You can call up any active failure codes on the RT by pressing MODE, SET, and the turn signal cancel simultaneously. The alphanumeric codes will be shown on the display and can be looked up in a shop manual if you have one, or interpreted here by one of us. If the cause of the check engine light has been corrected, it can be reset by turning off the key, waiting about 30 seconds, and restarting. If you received an overheating warning but the temperature gauge reads normally, it could be high ambient air temperatures.

I agree with Scotty and give his advice a try. I would like to add that your wife did nothing wrong. It is normal not to need to press the mode button after stalling the engine. In fact it is normal to turn off the ignition and remove the key and as long as you turn the ignition back on within 5 minutes you do not need to press the mode button.

It worked. Blown fuse. Thanks

NancysToy
07-29-2013, 08:55 PM
It worked. Blown fuse. Thanks

OK, now the question is why did it blow? A loose relay can sometimes do it. Fuses rarely fail spontaneously, but it is possible. More likely it is a fan motor problem. The fan blades could be interfered with by debris or a damaged radiator, loose mount, etc. Or the fan motor could be bad. Keep an wye on it. Check the fan and radiator for debris or interference. If it blows again, see your dealer.

Topshotta
07-29-2013, 09:08 PM

Scotty,

Did you attend the BRP University?:bowdown:

Larry rt
08-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Where do you get a spare set of relays , to carry, Justin case of a failure?