PDA

View Full Version : Having to reset saved audio/radio settings over & over

Spyder Tony
07-29-2013, 11:28 AM
I am not posting this in the ST forum because I am not entirely sure this is relegated to that particular model only. I have noticed over the past few weeks that I have to keep entering and saving my audio settings...specifically the automatic audio volume increase and the option to display the radio station on the main Mode screen. I have not disconnected the battery, nor has it drained, yet the settings need to be reset about every 3-4 days as they keep defaulting to "Disable" when they were previously "Enable". I am the sole rider of the bike, so there is nobody else messing with my settings. Also, other settings (such as the radio preset stations) retain without the need to be reset. In the big scheme of things, this is a minor inconvenience at best, but I am really wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same issue. Am I slowly going out of my Spyder Mynd?!?!?:yikes:

NancysToy
07-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Contact your dealer.

rpatsh
07-29-2013, 01:55 PM
I am not posting this in the ST forum because I am not entirely sure this is relegated to that particular model only. I have noticed over the past few weeks that I have to keep entering and saving my audio settings...specifically the automatic audio volume increase and the option to display the radio station on the main Mode screen. I have not disconnected the battery, nor has it drained, yet the settings need to be reset about every 3-4 days as they keep defaulting to "Disable" when they were previously "Enable". I am the sole rider of the bike, so there is nobody else messing with my settings. Also, other settings (such as the radio preset stations) retain without the need to be reset. In the big scheme of things, this is a minor inconvenience at best, but I am really wondering if anyone else out there has experienced the same issue. Am I slowly going out of my Spyder Mynd?!?!?:yikes:

I have had the same issue on my 2012 RT, so far i have just ignored it and reset it. If it keeps up I'll be talking to the dealer about it.

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Contact your dealer.
:agree: Something is definitely going on under there that needs to be investigated...

Spyder Tony
07-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I had a bit of overheating issue and the bike has been in the shop for a replacement sensor, and is going back into the shop again for a replacement cooling fan per BRP recommendation. I think i'll have them take a look into this as well. Again, like rpatsh said, it's not a big deal to reset the settings but it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Good news is, the bike hasn't overheated since the sensor replacement...although BRP still wants to swap the cooling fan out too.

Thanks for the feedback all :clap:

Shel_TK
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I have had the same issue on my 2012 RT, so far i have just ignored it and reset it. If it keeps up I'll be talking to the dealer about it.

I don't use the radio (I always hook my iPod up), so I don't know if there's anything going on with that, but I also (2012 RT-S) have to turn the automatic volume control back on once a week or so.

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Good Luck! :thumbup:
Please let us know what they find...

CaptainSFC
07-29-2013, 09:43 PM
They updated my computer when they installed the fuel gauge to replace the "jumpy" one. I had to reset the audio settings and attributed it to the upgrade. However I had to reset them again a few days later. Something isn't right. I will talk to dealer about this.

Spyder Tony
08-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Good Luck! :thumbup:
Please let us know what they find...

Worked with the service manager & tried several things (which included several B.U.D.S. updates) but it still occurs. I've just learned to live with it as it only takes 1/2 a minute to reset everything. Not gonna lose any sleep over it :ohyea:

Magdave
08-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Had part of it occur to me today. I lost the station display on the LCD but kept the auto vol :dontknow:

RTVIPER
08-20-2013, 07:19 PM
I too have learned to live with it. Like it was said before, only takes a few minutes to set. If that's all the problems I have, I'm grateful :yes::yes::clap::clap:

Papa's Spyder
08-27-2013, 10:58 AM
I just left my dealer. The service manager called BRP and they have no idea why it happens (seems to be their standard answer lately). They had no idea it was a problem so they tried it and sure enough the same problem happened to them on a new Spyder at the factory. Sometimes it hold 2 or 3 days, other times it won't even hold for an hour. I am very disappoint with the electronics on a machine that cost almost $30,000. Maybe BRP should out source it to a company in China.

finless
08-27-2013, 11:16 AM
My 2 cents.....

The older radios do not do this. Mine never has (2011-RTS).
I think there is a problem with this on newer radio firmware (the radios that do not have a box in the middle of the iPod cable).

I don't think BRP can fix it as the radio is made by a company called Radio Sound.
BRP needs to report this bug to them but will they? BUT maybe you guys can be proactive and tell Radio Sound about it to get the ball rolling!

I have emailed these people a couple of times and they do respond.

http://www.radiosound.com/

Bob

Spyder Tony
08-27-2013, 12:42 PM
My 2 cents.....

The older radios do not do this. Mine never has (2011-RTS).
I think there is a problem with this on newer radio firmware (the radios that do not have a box in the middle of the iPod cable).

I don't think BRP can fix it as the radio is made by a company called Radio Sound.
BRP needs to report this bug to them but will they? BUT maybe you guys can be proactive and tell Radio Sound about it to get the ball rolling!

I have emailed these people a couple of times and they do respond.

http://www.radiosound.com/

Bob

Thanks for the information regarding Radio Sound. I will be contacting them as well. Not sure if it'll do any good, but it sure can't do any harm.

Spyder Tony
08-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Okay...I sent the following e-mail to RadioSound. Let's see what the response will be:

Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:50 AM
To: 'info@radiosound.com'
Cc: 'customerservice@radiosound.com'
Subject: 2013 Can Am Spyder ST-Limited

Hello;
I purchased a brand new 2013 Can Am Spyder ST-Limited (From Elk Grove Powersports) in June, and seem to be having a problem with my audio settings not being retained ...specifically the automatic audio volume increase and the option to display the radio station on the main Mode screen. I have not disconnected the battery, nor has it drained, yet the settings need to be reset about every 3-4 days as they keep defaulting to "Disable" when they were previously "Enable". I am the sole rider of the bike, so there is nobody else messing with my settings. Also, other settings (such as the radio preset stations) retain without the need to be reset. I have had the dealership look at it and they see nothing wrong. It was brought to my attention that Radio Sound is the manufacturer of the radio installed on the 2013 ST’s so I’m hoping that you are aware of the issue and can help. Please feel free to respond to this e-mail address as anything you have to say would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.
The issue seems to be larger than my particular unit, as this thread would indicate:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55930-Having-to-reset-saved-audio-radio-settings-over-amp-over&p=679162&posted=1#post679162

Thanks;
Tony

TONY YOUNGER
Business Analyst III
HP Enterprise Services
Telephone +1 916.XXX.XXXX
Mobile +1 916.XXX.XXXX
Email:
Email:

Chupaca
08-27-2013, 02:49 PM
recently read a post somewhere else asking about dealer re-setting mileage. I told them you can not set or re-set the odometer. Later they told me they replaced the cluster due to the radio preset problem. This may be the problem...:dontknow:

Spyder Tony
08-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I sent the e-mail this morning and, although I didn't get a cause for the problem, I did get a response indicating a rep is checking with the engineers regarding the problem. Stay tuned...

From: Arlene Henry [mailto:arleneh@radiosound.com (arleneh@radiosound.com)]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 1:49 PM
To: Younger, Tony
Cc: Customer Service
Subject: RE: 2013 Can Am Spyder ST-Limited

Hello tony,

I am checking with some of our engineers about this. As soon as I have some information I’ll get back to you.

I’m sorry for the delay.

Thank you,
Arlene

Phone (800) 367-4506
Fax (502) 267-6794
E-mail arleneh@radiosound.com

rpatsh
08-27-2013, 05:05 PM
I sent the e-mail this morning and, although I didn't get a cause for the problem, I did get a response indicating a rep is checking with the engineers regarding the problem. Stay tuned...

Hello tony,

I am checking with some of our engineers about this. As soon as I have some information I’ll get back to you.

I’m sorry for the delay.

Thank you,
Arlene

Phone (800) 367-4506
Fax (502) 267-6794

Thanks for doing the leg work Tony,
can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Later,
Bob

beanoil
08-27-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm glad to read this... Mine has been in the shop for a week for the radio losing auto volume adjust and presets. Mine also has static very similar to listening to an old LP, pops and crackles. I'm very interested in the reply.

cuznjohn
08-28-2013, 01:02 PM
to the blend on Chanel 16 on the sat radio and that's it when riding, i don't even know how to set stations on it. but in my car it is news all the time. so guess i am boring

beanoil
08-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm glad to read this... Mine has been in the shop for a week for the radio losing auto volume adjust and presets. Mine also has static very similar to listening to an old LP, pops and crackles. I'm very interested in the reply. Update: BRP has authorized the replacement of the radio module on my ST-S. It's on order, the dealer will call me when it's in so they can replace it....

bluestratos
08-28-2013, 04:09 PM
I have complained about this for 2 years to my dealer and they say BRP is not aware of a cure. lol....Now my warranty is over so guess BRP wins...There is no rhyme or reason as to why it resets but mine does it regularly now. It resets all of the audio settings each time.

bluestratos
08-28-2013, 04:20 PM
I have complained about this for 2 years to my dealer and they say BRP is not aware of a cure. lol....Now my warranty is over so guess BRP wins...There is no rhyme or reason as to why it resets but mine does it regularly now. It resets all of the audio settings each time.

Well Hell
08-28-2013, 04:25 PM
I guess I got screwed cause mine won't even set the stations:banghead:

finless
08-28-2013, 07:58 PM
I guess I got screwed cause mine won't even set the stations:banghead:

That's a different problem! Radio Sound or BRP has a code problem here.
If the radio station is providing digital music titles, artist, etc then what happens when you try to set a station to a number that is already occupied then it JUMPS to the first unoccupied station number the MINUTE the radio station changes the digital information. Some station do this fast "station title, Song, Aritist, etc" over and over very fast! This bug is VERY ANNOYING! There is no way to reset all the station numbers to un-programed either so you can start over!

What I did was set the stations that provide digital titles, etc to the first lower channel numbers and put the stations that did not (or the update of title and artist was SLOWER) to the upper numbers. The slower the station sends this digital info change the more time you have to scroll to a higher number and set it.

I myself have reported this to Radio Sound but they told me this was an implementation issue with BRP integration of their radio.

Bob

Spyder_Cowgirl
08-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Per sig, I have a 2012 RT Limited and also the optional CB. So, when my audio settings get "reset" it also dumps the CB settings -- BRP replaced the CB once thinking that was part of the problem -- NOT (darn)! :yikes: What spydercowboy and I did was follow a rigorous set of test steps in shutting the spyder down in various ways. As it seemed to happen most often when I forgot to set the parking brake, thus having to turn the spyder back on and set it immediately, we concentrated on sequences where this "miss-step" was included. Here is what we found:

If the RT is shut off with the key and the PB is not set .... If the key is turned back on before the computer is completely shut down such that the MODE button is not required .... then all the audio presets were toast.

We were able to repeat this reliably over 10 separate runs and each time the presets were gone ... 100% failure rate. nojoke

So, I made myself a little acronym for shutdown (and this was reinforced in the MSF Trike class) -- Engine (cutoff), Park, Key (EPK). Since using this procedure to shutdown, I have not had a single loss of audio presets (or CB settings) and it has been several months. :yes:

I realize this is an RT ... so things may be slightly different -- but, following such a simple process has retained my settings for months. If this sequence doesn't apply to the ST ... perhaps there is one similar for other models. I think it boils down to turning the key back on at just the wrong / right time in the computer shutdown sequence. Worth a try!

Best Regards .... Ann

finless
08-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Ann, you might have just found how to reproduce the issue! :clap::clap:

That makes sense to me and I bet lots of people turn off the key and say "oh crap parking brake" and before it turns off, they turn the key back on. I could see the code not handling this and possibly causing the reset. It is the most logical scenario I have heard to date!

Great work! :clap:

Thanks for sharing!

Now if I could get my older model radio to do this I would love it so I could start from scratch with my channel programming!
Alas again the older model radios (the one with the BOX in the iPod cable) wont reset :(

Bob

WingmanRT
08-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I have a 2011 RT and have had the same problem from day one. Dealers can't figure it out if it isn't in BUDS. Mine intermittently loses Bass, Treble, Fade, auto-sound level.

finless
08-28-2013, 10:07 PM
I have a 2011 RT and have had the same problem from day one. Dealers can't figure it out if it isn't in BUDS. Mine intermittently loses Bass, Treble, Fade, auto-sound level.

2011 RT doesn't matter.... Do you have the black box in your iPod/MP3 connector cable? If not you have the newer radio!

Based on this complaint and my research here, NO ONE with the "black box in the cable" radios ever reported this problem. ONLY the people with newer radios "without the black box in the cable" have reported this. And then it was a year later from the new radio without the black box cable, that I started to see complaints of this issue. So it is the new radios, and it is sometime after the new radios came out, that I think a code change caused this.

Again... this is only based on my research of this here on SL and other web sites about the spyder.

Bob

Spyder Tony
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Heard back from RadioSound with their conclusion after analyzing the problem. Looks like it will be up to BRP to address according to the correspondence I received (see below):

Hello Tony,

Yes sir. That is what the engineers are saying. The radio doesn’t save the display settings/options. The radio stores the radio settings in static memory which will not disappear over time. The gauge is what sends the display settings to the radio. If the gauge has changed the settings, those are the settings the radio receives.

When you have to reset the radio is there a specific time frame that has passed or is it intermittent? You’ve said a couple days, is that when it is setting without being ridden or are you riding during this time?

Thank you,
Arlene

Phone (800) 367-4506
Fax (502) 267-6794

From: Younger, Tony [mailto:Tony.Younger@CALWIN.ORG (Tony.Younger@CALWIN.ORG)]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:12 PM
To: Arlene Henry

Thank you Arlene. Are you saying that my problem is, in fact, related to the gauge (or instrument cluster) on my Spyder? If I am understanding you correctly, the instrument cluster (or a memory chip inside the cluster) is in need of some sort of repair…and this would be a Can Am (BRP) type of repair rather than a RadioSound repair?

Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:52 AM

Hello Tony,

Our engineers believe the problem may be with the gauge. When the radio settings are changed, the gauge sends the new settings to the radio, and the radio will save the settings on the next ignition cycle. The radio stores the settings in static memory which will not disappear over time. Also the radio doesn’t save the display settings/options. If the gauge inadvertently changes a setting, the gauge sends the new setting to the radio which will update the stored settings.

If the settings are disappearing over time, it may be the way the gauge stores the settings. It could be in a memory chip which requires constant power, and that circuit is defective, so the gauge settings are lost after a period of time.

Also one of the entries on the forum from 7-29-2013 stated that they updated the computer and had to reset the audio settings. Replacing the computer should not affect the audio settings saved in the radio, unless the computer told the radio to use new settings.

Thank you,
Arlene

Phone (800) 367-4506
Fax (502) 267-6794

Hello tony,

I’m sorry for the delay.

Thank you,
Arlene

Phone (800) 367-4506
Fax (502) 267-6794

Spyder Tony
08-29-2013, 10:28 AM
What spydercowboy and I did was follow a rigorous set of test steps in shutting the spyder down in various ways. As it seemed to happen most often when I forgot to set the parking brake, thus having to turn the spyder back on and set it immediately, we concentrated on sequences where this "miss-step" was included. Here is what we found:

If the RT is shut off with the key and the PB is not set .... If the key is turned back on before the computer is completely shut down such that the MODE button is not required .... then all the audio presets were toast. .... Ann

Well, I have to say, i'm definitely guilty of doing EXACTLY what you describe. Every so often, I hear the loud "BEEP" from turning off the engine without engaging the parking brake...I found that I could quickly turn the key back on & set the brake WITHOUT waiting for the full system boot and the mode screen to display...so I continued to do just that. Your hard work & persistence have made it easy for me to test to see if this is my problem. If so, i'll be using your EPK acronym to shut down the Spyder from here on out:ohyea: