PDA

View Full Version : IS it a trike or motorcycle

oe3spyderguy
07-28-2013, 08:57 PM
In Nevada my :spyder2: is registered as a motorcycle because of the one wheel in the back As the DMV man told me when I asked whats the difference he said an trike didn't need a helmet in Nevada.

SpyderAnn01
07-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Nevada defines a motorcycle as anything driven by a single wheel. Since the drive wheel on the Spyder is the single rear wheel it meets the guidelines. Trikes with 2 rear drive wheels are therefore not motorcycles and do not require the rider to wear a helmet or have a motorcycle endorsement.

So to answer your question in Nevada the Spyder is a motorcycle not a roadster as BRP calls it.

jerpinoy
07-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Here in Washington state a 3 wheel enclosed vehicle needs no helmet but required a seat belts.

Chupaca
07-28-2013, 11:10 PM
can be a hassle. I always wear one so not for me but those that don't have to carry one if they travel around to states that demand a helmet..now what happens in the case of the license..? Again I have both motorcycle and auto but if you are in a state that requires motorcycle and you only have auto what happens..?....:dontknow:

flaggerphil
07-29-2013, 12:44 AM
In Florida, a motorcycle is a motor vehicle powered by a motor with a displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters, having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider, and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor or moped.

That includes the Spyder.

Topshotta
07-29-2013, 04:41 AM
Virginia now has a M3 endorsement for trikes, spyders.

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 05:41 AM
I just call them, "fun". The various DMVs can do whatever they want!

PrairieSpyder
07-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Nevada defines a motorcycle as anything driven by a single wheel. Since the drive wheel on the Spyder is the single rear wheel it meets the guidelines. Trikes with 2 rear drive wheels are therefore not motorcycles and do not require the rider to wear a helmet or have a motorcycle endorsement.

So to answer your question in Nevada the Spyder is a motorcycle not a roadster as BRP calls it.

Take that http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/whip-900.gif you Tri-glide and wing trike riders. We ryde real motorcycles!

(too hostile?)

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Nope; it was just about perfect! :2thumbs:

Buttsy
07-29-2013, 10:02 AM
I just call them, "fun". The various DMVs can do whatever they want!

I would have to agree..............one thing I know for sure, it ain't no motorcycle. :dontknow:

sealfloorboards
07-29-2013, 10:50 AM
I believe in California it's not considered a motorcycle because it has two wheels in front. Therefore no indorcement needed but you still nee a helmet:hun: I could care less what its called, I call in a blast:thumbup:.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

EnjoyingTheRyde
07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
I believe in California it's not considered a motorcycle because it has two wheels in front. Therefore no indorcement needed but you still nee a helmet:hun: I could care less what its called, I call in a blast:thumbup:.

Ride in comfort,
John
Seal Floorboards

Concur!

Illinois Boy
07-29-2013, 11:58 AM
can be a hassle. I always wear one so not for me but those that don't have to carry one if they travel around to states that demand a helmet..now what happens in the case of the license..? Again I have both motorcycle and auto but if you are in a state that requires motorcycle and you only have auto what happens..?....:dontknow:

That is simple. The operator's licensing must match the requirements of the state the vehicle is licensed. All 50 states are reciprocal otherwise.

Shel_TK
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Here in Washington state a 3 wheel enclosed vehicle needs no helmet but required a seat belts.

Actually, the way it works in Washington state is that a 3-wheel vehicle is a motorcycle unless it meets all three of these criteria:

1. Driver/passenger compartment enclosed.
2. Has a steering wheel.
3. Has seat belts.

If it doesn't have all three of those things, then it's a motorcycle, and requires the three-wheel motorcycle endorsement, and a helmet for the driver/passenger.

oe3spyderguy
07-29-2013, 07:48 PM

I hear they are trying to get a lane splitting law passed in nevada