PDA

View Full Version : Analog gas gauge

SPYDERFUZZ
07-28-2013, 08:36 PM
I have been thinking more about my gas gauge and now don't laugh at me but can the face of the gauge be turned clockwise leaving the needle to function as it does now? I know it sounds stupid and probably is. At least when the needle set on empty it would really be on empty. Nothing could be that simple. What say you?

NancysToy
07-28-2013, 09:56 PM
The needle would move clockwise, too. It won't change a thing.

Chupaca
07-29-2013, 12:45 AM
would have to see a gauge but it could probably be done. Thing is can you open the gauge and rearrange the innards and have it work any more accurate. Will there be much left, would it be worth it. Unplug it, remove it and place it next to your CD "Running on Empty". Let the digital gauge do your measuring...!!

NancysToy
07-29-2013, 07:27 AM
would have to see a gauge but it could probably be done. Thing is can you open the gauge and rearrange the innards and have it work any more accurate. Will there be much left, would it be worth it. Unplug it, remove it and place it next to your CD "Running on Empty". Let the digital gauge do your measuring...!!

Even if you could dismantle the gauge, you cannot change the relationship of the needle to the face...the mechanism is attached. You could repaint the face, but that is it. Just learn how your gauge reads (like all gauges), and respond accordingly. Analog gauges are a guideline, not the gospel for the most part. That's why most don't show any numbers. If you want perfectr accuracy, replace yours with programmable, preferably digital gauges. Personally those would drive me nuts wth their ever changing numbers, but to each his/her own. If your Spyder runs out of gas before the warning light comes on...or within about 20 miles or less after, have your dealer take a look at it.

finless
07-29-2013, 08:11 AM
I have had the gauge out and you would have to tear it apart to get inside. The chrome bezel or "ring" is machine compressed closed. This is what seals the gauge closed. You would have to pry the bottom edge of the ring all around the gauge thus basically destroying it. You could probably do it but then when you tap the edge back over it will look like hell and probably not be water tight anymore.

Bob

Bob Ledford
07-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Taking the explanation Scotty gave you a step further might clear up the fuzzy picture a bit.

your analog fuel gage gets all of its data from the fuel tank gauge or sending unit and sends it to the dash gauge in the format of volts or current which moves the needle up or down depending on the current/voltage being used. So it will never be dead on accurate due to the nonlinear construction being used. Moving the visual position of the dash unit does not change the way it reads. It just changes the way you look at it. You could convince your dealer to change the tank unit but your chances of getting a better or worse calibrated unit is 50%.

If you can not live with that going digital with an after market unit providing you can even find one under 10% guaranteed accuracy tolerance is your alternative.

To get under 10% accuracy you would have to have a computerized system that knew your gas tank levels down to the ounce. Have a flow meter to the injectors and probably an unused fuel meter back to the tank with the ability to compare the difference between the tank before and after each measurement cycle.

I do not think there is room enough under the Spyder skin for all of the flow meters and piping required either.

Simple solution just gas up every two hours on the road or 100 miles. Take a stretch break and ride on. Of course you coul stretch it out further and take a chance on walking to the next gas point too!

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Roger has been experimenting with an alternative...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55143-PROJECT-FUEL-GAUGE