PDA

View Full Version : DPS Check

sjcpanther
07-28-2013, 08:42 AM
Just had my first DPS limp mode fault to come on. Stopped the bike, turned it off, waited a few minutes, and it started right back up. Continued about 12 miles with no problems.

The only thing I can imagine it may be was running 63 MPH in 4th gear, with the cruise control on. Going around a few curves and hills. When I turned the cruise off, a couple miles later the DPS came on.

I believe the light that came on was referring to the power steering. Could this have caused the DPS limp mode fault to come on?

Going to continue ryding, as I'm about 2 hours from home. Fingers crossed........

Flanker
07-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Happened to me twice fairly soon after I bought my RSS. Hasn't happened since. In both my instances limp mode seemed to be brought on by blasting over rough (patches on patches on patches) pavement; causing a fair bit of suspension bounce and a little bit of pump up, as well as a little high freq handle bar shake. Next thing I know; limp mode is engaged. Pulled over both times, sat a few; then started it back up..............LM was reset both times. I slow down a LOT more for rough pavement now.

Bob Ledford
07-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Nanny probably got upset with your driving technique and figured her life was in danger so she screamed foul play aka limp mode. Grumpy old lady that she can be! :banghead:

NancysToy
07-28-2013, 12:43 PM
There are a variety of possible causes. Those include false alarms cause by long sweeping curves or side winds in a long curve, or real difficulties cause by steering sensor miscalibration, low battery or bad/dirty battery connections, very high or very low ambient temperatures, or an overheated or bad DPS unit. Your dealer can look for past fault codes and possibly get an idea of the cause. It would be wise to visit him and report it.

sjcpanther
07-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback. So far, 200+ miles since the fault, and no additional problems. Hopefully it was just a fluke.

I'm due in a couple weeks to have it in the shop for its 4600 mile service. I'll mention it to the tech.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Calm down, take some deep breaths...............there don't you feel better now........and I have an 08 GS that pretty much lights up like it's CHRISTMAS everytime I ride it.........I gave up caring about it years ago ( yes , years ago ). IMHO the computers on the Spyders are far to overdone / finicky / sensitive / re-dundant etc.....take your pick or choose all of them......The 08 only went into real LIMP MODE once and I just re-booted it and it was fine......Mike :thumbup:

sjcpanther
07-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Calm down, take some deep breaths...............there don't you feel better now........and I have an 08 GS that pretty much lights up like it's CHRISTMAS everytime I ride it.........I gave up caring about it years ago ( yes , years ago ). IMHO the computers on the Spyders are far to overdone / finicky / sensitive / re-dundant etc.....take your pick or choose all of them......The 08 only went into real LIMP MODE once and I just re-booted it and it was fine......Mike :thumbup:

Just curious -- What is considered REAL LIMP MODE? And how did you re-boot it?

I wonder how that was different than what happened to me? I just let the RT sit for 2-3 minutes, started it back up, and I was off again.

Yazz
07-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Just curious -- What is considered REAL LIMP MODE? And how did you re-boot it?

I wonder how that was different than what happened to me? I just let the RT sit for 2-3 minutes, started it back up, and I was off again.

A real limp mode is when the engine chugs down and won't let you go over 35-35 mph. Sounds like the Spyder is on her last leg.

Think you have the right idea about re-booting. Take the key out, walk away for a bit, re-insert key, away you go.

sjcpanther
07-28-2013, 05:56 PM
A real limp mode is when the engine chugs down and won't let you go over 35-35 mph. Sounds like the Spyder is on her last leg.

Think you have the right idea about re-booting. Take the key out, walk away for a bit, re-insert key, away you go.

Got it. Thanks. Hope I never have to experience that one. :sour:

I'm very thankful for SpyderLovers. I would have probably panicked when it happened. But I was prepared. I knew what to do, and it worked. :2thumbs:

bruiser
07-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Another satisfied customer. :clap:

Chupaca
07-29-2013, 01:17 AM
:agree: Isn't it just lovely..!! ;)