PDA

View Full Version : RUNNING HOT!!

SPYMAN
06-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Now I know in the past this topic has been discussed but I am hoping that as time has passed maybe some one has got new ideas. I live in Las Vegas, NV so as you know we get serious HEAT, The other day I got caught in traffic on the I-15 because of an accident it was 108 degrees the :spyder: almost immediately went up to 6 bars & stayed there at one point 7 bars. Even under regular driving conditions with these temp.s I am running at 5 bars.

My question is, is there a larger Fan, an adjustment on stock fan to kick on sooner?,ETC.

I am looking for all input and idea's. I get nervous with it always running on the high side of temp gauge.
Oh ya the shop said every thing is OK with my cooling system. But my plan is to make it run as cool as possible in this God forsaken Desert.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

:bigthumbsup: SPYMAN

Danimal
06-22-2008, 01:04 PM
There is a fan modification in the works that has been discussed elsewhere that will allow you to make the fan come on sooner. I'm not allowed to post where you can find this information, but these units should be available in the near future. ;D

SPYMAN
06-22-2008, 01:06 PM
There is a fan modification in the works that has been discussed elsewhere that will allow you to make the fan come on sooner. I'm not allowed to post where you can find this information, but these units should be available in the near future. ;D

THANKS for the info. sounds like what just what I need.

:bigthumbsup: SPYMAN

AMTJIM
06-22-2008, 01:53 PM
I've noticed several desert riders and some street machines running those portable misting bottles routing the lines infront of the radiator, don't know how that would work on the Spyder? I do know those bottles last quite a while on 1 fill.

Smylinacha
06-22-2008, 05:18 PM
Hubby said maybe this might work? I was reading him your post and he's into all the tech stuff and they talk about it on HD forums:

http://www.3mbike.com/LeNale.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&category=35557&sspagename=WDVW&viewitem=&item=150251549371&rd=1

Maybe that will help?

Smylinacha
06-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Hubby said go look at this:

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?subCategoryID=4

pphantom538
06-22-2008, 10:14 PM
anyone use redline water wetter yet?

spyryder
06-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Hubby said maybe this might work? I was reading him your post and he's into all the tech stuff and they talk about it on HD forums:

http://www.3mbike.com/LeNale.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&category=35557&sspagename=WDVW&viewitem=&item=150251549371&rd=1

Maybe that will help?

Those fans are for air cooled engines....probably wouldn't be a lot of help on a Spyder.

AMTJIM
06-22-2008, 10:52 PM
I use Water Wetter...thought I had Engine Ice in my SV...heats up about the same, but dumps the heat quicker once you start moving again. Not much you can do about heat while sitting, it's a closed system. Be careful about extra fans, they can strain the battery.

pphantom538
06-22-2008, 11:08 PM
I use Water Wetter...thought I had Engine Ice in my SV...heats up about the same, but dumps the heat quicker once you start moving again.

Thanks

Lamonster
06-23-2008, 06:14 AM
On my blower bikes I would have the same issue with heat. It's a pretty simple mod to run a switch from the thermostat to ground and then you can switch it on and off as needed. I would switch it on as soon as I came into town and back off at highway speeds when I had good ram air. :doorag:

SPYMAN
06-24-2008, 09:41 PM
I use Water Wetter...thought I had Engine Ice in my SV...heats up about the same, but dumps the heat quicker once you start moving again. Not much you can do about heat while sitting, it's a closed system. Be careful about extra fans, they can strain the battery.

Are you saying your using water wetter in your :spyder: ??

Thanks, SPYMAN

AMTJIM
06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, Water Wetter...I was looking for Engine Ice, but everyone was out so I went with Water Wetter. Also, the factory coolant is often a coolant/preservative in case of long term storage before sale. Even switching it out to regular coolant may make a difference if you choose not to go with Engine Ice or Water Wetter.

SPYMAN
06-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes, Water Wetter...I was looking for Engine Ice, but everyone was out so I went with Water Wetter. Also, the factory coolant is often a coolant/preservative in case of long term storage before sale. Even switching it out to regular coolant may make a difference if you choose not to go with Engine Ice or Water Wetter.

THANKS MUCH, SPYMAN

Napalmseth
06-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Isn't wetter Water an additive? To be added to anti-freeze or water...

SPYMAN
06-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Isn't wetter Water an additive? To be added to anti-freeze or water...

Yes it is, it comes in a 12 OZ bottle,
SPYMAN

Napalmseth
06-25-2008, 03:06 PM
cool ,thats what i though. Thank you :)