PDA

View Full Version : Bad Saleman

Jedye
07-27-2013, 06:35 PM
I really wish my first service experience with the Spyder would have been better. About a month ago, I bought a secondhand 2010 Spyder RT-S from Hattisburg cycles. Before purchasing, I inquired about this units service schedule. I was assured from Justin (the salesman) that the bike had all its regularly scheduled service appointments met and the unit was in perfect condition. I specifically asked about the rear tire, because it looked a little worn and again was assured that it was in good condition. I back ti Hattiesburg Cycles today (only a month after i've purchased this bike) because this bike had just turned 14,000 miles and I wanted it serviced. Imagine my surprise when the service man said that I needed a new rear tire, new brakes and a new drive belt ($1300.00) The service department at Hattiesburg Cycles is great and I hold nothing against them but Justin the salesman is a liar. When I confronted Justin on the showroom floor about it he said he did not remember the tire being that worn. He also dodged any explanation for the bad brakes and the bad belt. Of course, a manger got involved and he too dodged every question, only stating that when you buy a used bike, its "as-is"... I already know that...that's not the point. The Salesman lied about the condition of the unit. It's a shame too because I really did like Hattiesburg Cycles but I will be taking my business elsewhere in the future.

And I know, when you buy second hand, you buy someone else's problems. That's not the point. The Saleman out-right lied about its prior services. There's also the safety concern about putting someone on the road with a bike in that condition (bad tire/ brakes).

So I'll be looking for a new shop to service my Spyder. If anyone can recommend one between Biloxi, MS and New Orleans, LA, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

That being said...the repairs were made and I still love the bike...just got a bad taste in my mouth from my salesman. I'll go for a ryde, it'll be better in a while. :)

Casey (Jedye)

cyclelover63
07-27-2013, 06:52 PM
That is a sad situation..I have also had a sales person lie to me...Seems to be quite common...What is wrong with the belt?...I heard they should go at least 50,000 miles

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2013, 07:19 PM
I really wish my first service experience with the Spyder would have been better. About a month ago, I bought a secondhand 2010 Spyder RT-S from Hattisburg cycles. Before purchasing, I inquired about this units service schedule. I was assured from Justin (the salesman) that the bike had all its regularly scheduled service appointments met and the unit was in perfect condition. I specifically asked about the rear tire, because it looked a little worn and again was assured that it was in good condition. I back ti Hattiesburg Cycles today (only a month after i've purchased this bike) because this bike had just turned 14,000 miles and I wanted it serviced. Imagine my surprise when the service man said that I needed a new rear tire, new brakes and a new drive belt ($1300.00) The service department at Hattiesburg Cycles is great and I hold nothing against them but Justin the salesman is a liar. When I confronted Justin on the showroom floor about it he said he did not remember the tire being that worn. He also dodged any explanation for the bad brakes and the bad belt. Of course, a manger got involved and he too dodged every question, only stating that when you buy a used bike, its "as-is"... I already know that...that's not the point. The Salesman lied about the condition of the unit. It's a shame too because I really did like Hattiesburg Cycles but I will be taking my business elsewhere in the future.

And I know, when you buy second hand, you buy someone else's problems. That's not the point. The Saleman out-right lied about its prior services. There's also the safety concern about putting someone on the road with a bike in that condition (bad tire/ brakes).

So I'll be looking for a new shop to service my Spyder. If anyone can recommend one between Biloxi, MS and New Orleans, LA, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

That being said...the repairs were made and I still love the bike...just got a bad taste in my mouth from my salesman. I'll go for a ryde, it'll be better in a while. :)

Casey (Jedye) Sorry to hear about this.....But welcome to the " DEALER FROM HELL CLUB ".....I am a charter member and have nominated "LAND AIR " in Essex Jct. numerous times on this forum.......Unfortunately for them no one ever explained one of the most important facts of life ..namely, BE VERY VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU SCREW WITH..........:gaah:..:roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack:, Mike

SpyderAnn01
07-27-2013, 07:22 PM
That's too bad that you got burned. I guess it would have paid to have their service dept go over the bike with you pre-purchase. Brake pads and a rear tire at 14000 is about right but the belt does seem early for replacement.

Jedye
07-27-2013, 07:24 PM
What is wrong with the belt?...I heard they should go at least 50,000 miles

The service department said it was "slacked" and allowed a rock (or some other debris) to puncture a hole in it. I actually noticed the hole last week and that was another reason I wanted to bring it in.

spydercatjohn
07-27-2013, 07:49 PM
Salesmen who will lie to make a sale are all too common in the auto and mc business.

Bob Denman
07-27-2013, 07:56 PM
"Caveat emptor"; my friend...:gaah:

ARtraveler
07-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Sorry to hear about your experience with the purchase of a used :spyder2:. I would definately take the :ani29: elsewhere for service, and not purchase any more units from them. The need for a new rear tire at 14,000 is about right. I got 13,500 out of my last two. Belt no, but it sounds like a rock messed yours up. Welcome to the club. Also had that happen to me.

Sales persons who are liars, and managers who defend them, red flag the dealership for me. IMO.

Netminder
07-27-2013, 09:13 PM
A car/motorcycle salesman who lies! I don't believe it!!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Showie
07-27-2013, 09:17 PM
It is to bad that you are going to take your service business from the dealer. :( I sold cars and I'm sure bykes are the same in that they have profit centers. New, used, parts, service and sometimes finance. I read all the time on this site that the service departments for :spyder2: is lacking. So I would think about staying there for service. Besides that it will make the sales department go crazy. I was a car salesman for 4 years (new and used) and a manager for a short time b 4 I changed lines of work by my choice ( how stupid was I? I got into the bar business). A salesman and manager like that will run out of customers in a short period of time and move on :yes:and in that time you can find a better salesperson. :pray:

boborgera
07-27-2013, 09:30 PM
New to buying used, ? I know it hurts, But a salesperson who believes what their saying [And most do], Doesn't consider it a lie, The same as if you bought it off someones driveway... Don't take anyones word for it...Have your guy check it out first....Or better yet' ''Get it in writing''

Jedye
07-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Showie, I hear what you're saying. Again, the service department was great. They even backed up my story about the tire, since it was only a month ago and he remembers seeing it. But the manager still wouldn't budge. I them know that I have more money than time...I'm the guy who will buy a $400.00 helmet on a whim...because i like the color (i have 1 bike...and 4 helmets...lol). I let them know that I was planning on the CB install, the chrome package kit and anything else I wanted, would have come through Hattiesburg Cycles. But not anymore.
Hopefully I can find a good tech elsewhere. Otherwise, I'll buy my stuff off eBay or Sponsors here and have their service department do the installs.

Chupaca
07-27-2013, 10:32 PM
this happens too often..many just overlook it which doesn't help. I find the salespeople change rather quickly and surprised you even found him there. Glad you got the roadster fixed up and hope you find a good dealer along the way with a good service dept...!! :thumbup:

Jedye
07-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks Guys!
This dealership just won some sort of "Best in Class Cam-Am Dealership" award. I think I may write an email to BRP....lol.

Incidentally, I copied the first post here and put it on Hattiesburg Cycles Facebook page. In 5 minutes, it got 5 "likes" and then was removed.

I ain't even mad. lol

Spyder601
07-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I agree with you about the way that the sale was handled, but as mentioned it is difficult to find a good place for service work on these machines. I have never and will never let the dealership here in Jackson touch my bike for that reason I take the 90 mile ride to Hattiesburg to let those guys service my bike. That service department has treated me quite well. If it helps the salesmanager nor the salesman make any money on the service work which I'm sure you know. Well that's just my 2 cents. Glad the bike is doing well now though.

willey
07-28-2013, 12:27 AM
When the Red Head bought her new 2013 RTS the salesman told her she would get about 40mpg after break in.At 7500 miles it must not be broke in yet or 28 to 32 is about 40.lol

Bob Denman
07-28-2013, 06:50 AM
New to buying used, ? I know it hurts, But a salesperson who believes what their saying [And most do], Doesn't consider it a lie, The same as if you bought it off someones driveway... Don't take anyones word for it...Have your guy check it out first....Or better yet' ''Get it in writing''

:agree: There's an old saying that I live by:
"Trust; but verify!" :thumbup:

boborgera
07-28-2013, 08:11 AM
:agree: There's an old saying that I live by:
"Trust; but verify!" :thumbup:

Ronnie, My hero...:thumbup:
[ Besides a meat ball parm]....:roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-28-2013, 08:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6y5eI01XE

Flanker
07-28-2013, 09:11 AM
"Caveat emptor"; my friend...:gaah:

Bit late for the OP, but all too true none the less. ALWAYS perform your own basic mechanical condition inspections on used vehicles, or have someone you trust do it for you! Sorry you got burned!

Bob Ledford
07-28-2013, 09:33 AM
It is almost sinful the way some dealers treat their customer base. I guess they just do not know that a happy customer is the best advertising you can. Whereas an unhappy customer is the worst type of customer to have.

SpyderRx
07-28-2013, 01:44 PM
I agree with spyder601 on this dealership. I haven't bought a bike from them but I have had service done with them. I wouldn't take mine to Jackson and I've also heard bad reports on competition motorsports in Gulfport. I stopped by the dealership in New Orleans once but haven't heard anything about their service. Just remember the service department is usually a totally seperate from the sales department so if your pleased with the service you may want to stick with them. I know that the owner, Larry, is a big spyder rider himself. I hate to hear this bad report on the dealership. I hope you figure out what's best for you and find a dealer your happy with. Just keep ryding and it will be all good!!

Knarfoh
07-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Brake pads and a rear tire at 14,000 is about right but the belt does seem early for replacement.
From what you are saying, and from supporting comments on this thread, there seems to be some agreement about the 14,000 miles being in the ball park for a new rear tire.

However, I noticed a couple of people who agreed with that, did not comment on your statement about new brakes at that mileage.

So what is the common agreement on when brakes might be needed? Mileage wise? Reason I ask, is last time I had my Spyder RT-S in the service department, they told me I had used about 10% of the brake pad with around 3,000 miles. Saying 14k is not out of line as to when new brakes are needed doesn't compute based on my brake pad wear at my last check-up.

So what is the consensus on brakes?

CruiseRT
07-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Try this dealer located in Gulfport, Competition Sports of Ms. http://www.competitionsportsms.com/
The owner Gina is one of the nicest people I know and has always treated me honestly in the past.

Jedye
07-28-2013, 02:37 PM
I agree with spyder601 on this dealership. I haven't bought a bike from them but I have had service done with them. I wouldn't take mine to Jackson and I've also heard bad reports on competition motorsports in Gulfport. I stopped by the dealership in New Orleans once but haven't heard anything about their service. Just remember the service department is usually a totally seperate from the sales department so if your pleased with the service you may want to stick with them. I know that the owner, Larry, is a big spyder rider himself. I hate to hear this bad report on the dealership. I hope you figure out what's best for you and find a dealer your happy with. Just keep ryding and it will be all good!!

I spoke with Mr. Larry at length while I was there (for almost 7 hours). He went to SpyderFest last year. He has that white Spyder RT Limited out front....beautiful ryde. When I was arguing with the manager and Justin, he actually walked back up and said "I don't know about this incident...but Justin's been telling people there's a 200 point inspection in that Victory [points to a bike on the showroom] and that's a lie.". Then he walked away. I almost stopped being mad for a second and laughed. He was like Batman... In and out real quick. lol. But when I told the manager "So we've established Justin is a liar...what can you do about this?", he just went on about the "used bike vs as-is" BS.
Mr. Larry strikes me as the type if owner that lets the bees bee, the flies fly and Managers manage. I can respect that, being a General Manager and having an owner myself.

After many recommendations from you guys, I think I stick with Hattiesburg Cycle for their Service Department...but I'll buy all my stuff from on-line and bring it to them for install. In other words, the service depo is as far as I'll go...no more trips to the showroom or the store. Shame too...'cause they've got good stuff.

Thanks everyone!!!

Casey (Jedye)

ARtraveler
07-28-2013, 03:23 PM
RE: Brakes. I am past 33,000 and the dealer said my brakes are still fine as of last Friday.

pellcitypete
07-28-2013, 04:50 PM

Casey (Jedye) Sorry to hear about your troubles BUT IF IT'S NOT IN WRITING THEY (the salesman can say anything) AND IT DON'T MATTER I LEARNED THE HARD WAY TOO. SO I ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING OR GO ELSE WHERE. J/S

Bob Denman
07-28-2013, 05:06 PM
RE: Brakes. I am past 33,000 and the dealer said my brakes are still fine as of last Friday.
Still good at 33,000 miles? :thumbup:
How's the front bumper holding up; SOMETHING must be stoppping you! :roflblack:

Desert Spyder
07-28-2013, 05:14 PM
You were had! Tire I can see. Belt? You saw the damage before. Brakes? MAYBE the rear but not the front. I'd like to hear the breakdown on the charges if you don't mind. There are many unwary owners on this site. You may be doing them a favor. BTW, check your front tire wear. I didn't hear anything about rotation of tires.

Jedye
07-28-2013, 07:14 PM
You were had! Tire I can see. Belt? You saw the damage before. Brakes? MAYBE the rear but not the front. I'd like to hear the breakdown on the charges if you don't mind. There are many unwary owners on this site. You may be doing them a favor. BTW, check your front tire wear. I didn't hear anything about rotation of tires.

Desert Spyder,
The belt was damaged, I noticed it shortly after I purchased the Spyder while I was washing it.

The front brake had over 50% life so it wasn't replaced...just the rear brakes.

As far as posting the break-down of the charges...I'll do you one better. Below is the actual invoice...hope this helps.

Or Phitobucket, if you prefer:
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/callais74/image_zps03d9a296.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/callais74/image_zps881bff69.jpg

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 06:23 AM
It's starting to sound as if Justin is actually a pretty GOOD salesman; he just might be running a bit shy in the "Ethics" Department! :gaah:

Jedye
07-29-2013, 07:03 AM
I've got some new information about this bike. My sources can't be reveled but I trust what I'm hearing.

Let's back up a little: Other than the invoice, the ONLY problem I've had with this byke is that it turns off on my sometimes (4 times now). The first two times, I thought maybe I inadvertently hit the kill switch. The last two times, I KNOW I didn't hit it... in fact, when the latest one happened, I had the cruise control on and my throttle hand was at my side.

Turns out... this unit has been at Hattiesburg Cycles for those exact reasons and the service depo was unable to resolve the issue (again, a reliable source). So here's my question: I understand I bought the byke "as-is"... but shouldn't they have disclosed the fact that there was an issue with this unit. I even asked Justin (the Salesliar) if the byke had any known issue outside of the typical services, of course, he replied "no".

So, I'm looking for guidance from you guys. What should I do? Do I have any options? In my head, I'm thinking about taking it back and asking that the purchased amount (and the $1300.00 bill for the services) be applied to a new Spyder. One on their showroom floor (so they can still reduce thier inventory) and I'll pay the listed price on the unit (with a little haggling on the side, of course). Is this completely unreasonable ... am I way out of line to ask the dealer for this? Or am I stuck with a $24K toy that has known defects? Keep in mind, I've only this for a month and a half.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi...You're my only hope! (Ooops... wrong forum! :joke: )

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 07:29 AM
I'd go to the owner. You're going to have to tell him what you've learned about the bike; but try to protect your source!
Justin sounds like a piece of work. :gaah:
And I thought that Insurance salesman had bad reputations; he's almost making me look honest! :ohyea:

Jedye
07-29-2013, 07:40 AM
I'd go to the owner. You're going to have to tell him what you've learned about the bike; but try to protect your source!

No worries on that front. For all they know, it could have been one of the service guys in the back that let it "slip".

I looked up "lemon laws" with MS has... but it doesn't look like it covers motorcycles.

bullant12
07-29-2013, 07:52 AM
No worries on that front. For all they know, it could have been one of the service guys in the back that let it "slip".

I looked up "lemon laws" with MS has... but it doesn't look like it covers motorcycles.

This is a 2010 pre-owned unit... You bought it "as is" so I don't think that lemon laws would apply to you... previous owner yes (if there were lemon laws in the state).
I would do some more homework... Find and get a dealer that seems to be reasonable with you, and see if they would file the issue with BRP, even if the bike is out of warranty. If they do file with BRP, grab the file number, and contact BRP letting them know EVERYTHING from the start, including the "salesliar" since where you bought it is a :spyder2: dealer.

It might be a long route, but unfortunatly these things are that way. Good luck!

Jedye
07-29-2013, 08:01 AM
This is a 2010 pre-owned unit... You bought it "as is" so I don't think that lemon laws would apply to you... previous owner yes (if there were lemon laws in the state).
I would do some more homework... Find and get a dealer that seems to be reasonable with you, and see if they would file the issue with BRP, even if the bike is out of warranty. If they do file with BRP, grab the file number, and contact BRP letting them know EVERYTHING from the start, including the "salesliar" since where you bought it is a :spyder2: dealer.

It might be a long route, but unfortunatly these things are that way. Good luck!

Thanks for the recommendation.... I thought Lemon Laws were specifically for used vehicles? :shocked:

If I can't return it...I'll have them service the crap out of it. I purchased the warranty... covers everything expect normal wear and tear.

bullant12
07-29-2013, 08:27 AM
I thought Lemon Laws were specifically for used vehicles? :shocked:

Although it varies by state, they necessarily do not apply to used or leased vehicles. Only new vehicles in which they have recurring issues that, although covered by warranty, will not be fixed by any means.

If I can't return it...I'll have them service the crap out of it. I purchased the warranty... covers everything expect normal wear and tear.

Good deal! And good luck!

spydercatjohn
07-29-2013, 08:31 AM
Try your approach of trading for a new Spyder. They took the bike back from somebody who owned it before you with the known defect. There is always small claims court and NHTS for safety defects. Also notify BRP.

Knarfoh
07-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Other than the invoice, the ONLY problem I've had with this byke is that it turns off on my sometimes (4 times now). The first two times, I thought maybe I inadvertently hit the kill switch. The last two times, I KNOW I didn't hit it... in fact, when the latest one happened, I had the cruise control on and my throttle hand was at my side.

Turns out... this unit has been at Hattiesburg Cycles for those exact reasons and the service depo was unable to resolve the issue (again, a reliable source). So here's my question: I understand I bought the byke "as-is"... but shouldn't they have disclosed the fact that there was an issue with this unit. I even asked Justin (the Salesliar) if the byke had any known issue outside of the typical services, of course, he replied "no".
Lemon laws usually apply to the purchase of a new vehicle and the first owner. However (and laws vary by state) in Ohio, if a vehicle is a "buyback" to resolve a consumer complaint about a new vehicle, there are protections in place for subsequent purchasers.

"If a new motor vehicle was returned under the provisions of any state’s lemon law because of a nonconformity likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven, the motor vehicle may not be sold, leased, or operated in Ohio. " Suddenly cutting off would seem to fit that description to me.

If that is not the case, the vehicle can be resold but there must be conditions in place:

The manufacturer provides to the consumer, either directly or through its agent or its authorized dealer, and prior to obtaining the signature of the consumer on any document, a written statement on a separate piece of paper, in ten-point type, all capital letters, in substantially the following form listing each defect or condition on a separate line:

WARNING: THIS VEHICLE PREVIOUSLY WAS SOLD AS NEW. IT WAS RETURNED TO THE
MANUFACTURER OR ITS AGENT IN EXCHANGE FOR A REPLACEMENT VEHICLE OR REFUND
AS A RESULT OF THE FOLLOWING DEFECT(S) OR CONDITION(S):

1. .................................................. ....................
2. .................................................. ....................
3. .................................................. ....................
4. .................................................. ....................
5. .................................................. ....................
.................... .........................................
DATE BUYER’S SIGNATURE

You need to know (probably from the previous owner) under what conditions the vehicle was repurchased by the dealer.

You need to make sure you understand what your particular state's laws are in this case. Model language was used by most states to write their lemon laws. Obviously, there will be differences from state to state, but often those are minimal.

I did look up a summary of Missouri's law from the BBB: http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/MO-LLsummary.pdf

This is what the summary of Ohio's law looks like: http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/OH-LLaddinfo.pdf

Interestingly, the Missouri law summary does not talk about disclosure requirements for subsequent buyers (at least in the BBB summary) which I find odd. Subsequent purchasers should be protected since these vehicle are repurchased because they cannot be fixed within a reasonable time period or fixed at all. Does it make sense they can resell these vehicles without some disclosure requirements?

This Missouri attorney website talks about the lemon law in that state: http://www.kahnandassociates.com/missouri_lemon_law_faqs.php#what_products

There is a section in their summary called: WHAT IF I BOUGHT MY VEHICLE USED?

Usually, you can consult an attorney about your case BEFORE you are under an obligation to use them. Also, your State Attorney General's office may have a CONSUMER PROTECTION DIVISION that can give advice.

I am not an attorney and I am not recommending any specific attorney to you. I did a Google search to find this information. I did previously work with a state agency in Ohio that dealt with LEMON LAW issues, so I do have some knowledge of the process in Ohio.

MAJOR CAUTION: If you start talking suing or consulting an attorney with the dealer and/or manufacturer they will probably STOP all efforts to assist you in the meantime. DO NOT USE THIS AS AN IDLE THREAT. I have seen people throw this line out and EVERYTHING stops: no future discussions; they ban you from the business even if your visit is not related to your problem: you cannot get routine service performed on this or anything else you own; etc.

Besides LEMON LAWS, there are other laws (state and federal) which might protect you. For example, some states do not permit someone to void IMPLIED WARRANTIES. For example, if you buy an apple peeler and it won't peel apples, then you have a legitimate complaint.

In your instance, if the radio doesn't work, I do not believe you have a claim. However, you bought a motor vehicle. It is reasonable for you to expect (even if the dealer didn't tell you so) that you can start and operate the vehicle without it shutting down unexpectedly.

Google your own state laws and hopefully there is help for you out there.

Eventually, you will probably need to disclose source of your information about this being a previous problem. So if that means another salesman told you the REAL history or some sympathetic mechanic took you aside and told you the TRUE story, if this gets litigated, that will probably come out.

When I bought my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5, I asked the salesman if there was a toolkit. He told me no and suggested I get a minimal collection of tools to go along with my Spyder. On my first service visit (break-in service), I casually mentioned to the mechanic about the lack of a toolkit. He laughed and showed me the tool kit that was velcroed to the bottom of the seat. He also told me his opinion of the salesman that sold me my unit (IDIOT, HE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT, ETC.) No one is going to get into trouble here, but in your instance, if inside information, someone could.

GOOD LUCK!

Jedye
07-29-2013, 09:46 AM
Knarfoh, WOW! Thanks a lot for the insight and the research. I live in Mississippi (MS) so I'll google to see if we have that clause in our Lemon Laws.

I wasn't going to threaten with a lawyer... I've been on the other end of that conversation and have been instructed by our legal team that when a customer throws out any threat of lawsuit, lawyer, general counsel... end all conversations immediately with "Thank you. We have not been given ample time to remedy this issue but legal recourse is certainly your right. That being said, I can no longer continue this conversation. Our corporate number is XXXXXXX. Thank you." and hang up.

Thanks again for your help!

EDIT: MS': http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Documents/BBBAutoLine/MS-LLaddinfo.pdf

Doesn't look like I can use the Lemon Law case. Doesn't cover motorcycle and there's no disclosure to subsequent buyer. That sucks.

Guess I'll have to rely on the GM's sense of ethics. (so in other words, I'm screwed.)

ARCTIC
07-29-2013, 10:33 AM
absolute bare minimum, they should eat the labor. Also, I would inspect the pulleys for damage caused by the rock. I thought brp recommended pulley replacement but common sense inspection should probably be utilized

Knarfoh
07-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Doesn't look like I can use the Lemon Law case. Doesn't cover motorcycle and there's no disclosure to subsequent buyer. That sucks.
When state's began passing LEMON LAWS, many people were under the mistaken belief that this was the ONLY law that might apply to their situation.

Even if there are no specific remedies mentioned, it might be worthwhile for you consult an attorney in your own state or your state attorney general's CONSUMER PROTECTION DIVISION. There are numerous laws that protect people OUTSIDE of the lemon law. Also, we are reading summaries from the Better Business Bureau. These summaries might not be complete.

For example, if the dealer knows the brakes are not working and he sells you a vehicle without working brakes, I can assure you that your signature on an AS IS/NO WARRANTY document won't protect the dealer.

DON'T GIVE UP ON A LEGAL REMEDY EVEN IF YOU BELIEVE IT IS NOT COVERED UNDER YOUR STATE'S LEMON LAW. ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY TO SEE IF YOU HAVE A CASE WITHOUT HAVING TO PAY A FEE UP FRONT.

In my experience, states like Missouri and Mississippi, that DO NOT have BUY BACK disclosures for subsequent purchasers is because your local dealers (there are new and used car dealer associations in every state) were influential enough to keep those protections from being written into the the lemon law.

State legislatures have no problem allowing remedies when you are dealing with big companies like General Motors, Ford, Toyota, Chrysler, etc. with deep pockets. But many dealer associations, and their members, provide vehicles and political support to their state representatives and state senators, so those legislative bodies don't want to "kill the goose that laid the golden egg." Next time you go to a local parade and you see a politician in the parade, often the vehicles they are being driven around in are from the local dealership. Plus dealer associations have political PACs that provide campaign funds to legislators they support. It was not by accident, the laws of Missouri and Mississippi left out BUY BACK disclosures by dealers (if in fact, that is the case).

Knarfoh
07-29-2013, 11:12 AM

Still good at 33,000 miles? How's the front bumper holding up; SOMETHING must be stoppping you!
I asked before and no one answered. What is reasonable mileage before needing break repairs? Front and back?

14k seems too low. If disc breaks on a car last 40k to 50k why is 33k unreasonable? Hell, the tires on my Spyder and the disc pards and brakes look as large or larger then what I see on some cars.

ARtraveler
07-29-2013, 12:50 PM
Purchasing a vehicle as-is is a chancey game to play--certainly with a vehicle that cost $24,000. It's too late in your situation to change what has happened--other than seeing if the dealer will undo the deal and let you purchase a different machine. You also mentioned you had an extended warranty--maybe that is the way to go and get the machine fixed either at your original dealer or a different one.

I am not understanding why they can't /won't fix it if you have the extended warranty you mention above. Also wondering about the comments of purchased as-is, if there is a warranty involved. As-is usually means no warranty.

My suggestions when purchasing a Spyder used, is to take it to a mechanic and have them give it a thourough going over and a clean bill of health--in writing.

Have them run it on Buds and get a complete service history.

Talk with the previous owner if possible--most of the time you will get a good picture of the condition of the Spyder, and also good information about the dealer.

Check on SL if the owner was/is a member. People post good and bad about their Spyders here.

I stopped trusting salesman a long time ago, and treat every thing they say as puffing, or less than truth. They usually don't like me during the process--but it has been a long time since I was knowingly given the shaft.

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 01:20 PM
So what's going on with your brakes?? (Besides them NOT wearing out much! :D)
My second set on the rear have over 10,000 miles on them; they're halfway shot...

Jedye
07-29-2013, 01:59 PM
So what's going on with your brakes?? (Besides them NOT wearing out much! :D)
My second set on the rear have over 10,000 miles on them; they're halfway shot...

Nothing... the unit had 13K miles on it when I bought it... I'm guessing the previous owner rode his brakes.

wyliec
07-29-2013, 03:08 PM
I spoke with Mr. Larry at length while I was there (for almost 7 hours). He went to SpyderFest last year. He has that white Spyder RT Limited out front....beautiful ryde. When I was arguing with the manager and Justin, he actually walked back up and said "I don't know about this incident...but Justin's been telling people there's a 200 point inspection in that Victory [points to a bike on the showroom] and that's a lie.". Then he walked away. I almost stopped being mad for a second and laughed. He was like Batman... In and out real quick. lol. But when I told the manager "So we've established Justin is a liar...what can you do about this?", he just went on about the "used bike vs as-is" BS.
Mr. Larry strikes me as the type if owner that lets the bees bee, the flies fly and Managers manage. I can respect that, being a General Manager and having an owner myself.

You can respect anyone you want. But, in this case when he (the owner) realized there was a problem he should have stepped in, especially since he basically said that Justin stretches the truth.

Oldmanzues
07-29-2013, 03:56 PM
I can not add or subtract from main problem on here, but I replaced the back tire at a little over 20K. the service tech, said, your brakes are close to being worn out. Very little additional labor charge, just the cost of the pads, so I did.
Good luck with original problem. I can not understand the owner at all.
Oldmanzues

Jedye
07-29-2013, 04:05 PM
Well, I'm bringing it in tomorrow and will ask them to trade it in for a new one, give me the trade in value of what I paid for it plus the $1300.00 for the last repairs put towards the new bike (basically erasing this purchase and starting over).

I've been going over in my head about how that conversation will go and I think I'm making a good case...and affording them the opportunity to make it right and win back my loyalty WITHOUT having to threatening them with legal recourse.

Wish me luck...and y'all have any pointers about what else I should say, let me know.

You guys have been great. I hate being the noobie with all the problems but either way, you guys have an awesome community here and I appreciate the help and support.

Casey (Jedye)

Bob Denman
07-29-2013, 04:43 PM
The Best of Luck to you! :2thumbs:
Please let us know what happens!
As far as problems go; I guess we're all kind of glad to tackle one that involves a salesman rather than a bike! ;)

MidLifeCrisis
07-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Just a point for the dealer... Defective kill switches did plague some 2010s, but the problem was with the console as well and it too needs to be replaced. The switch alone dies nothing, when the console drops the connection. There are no associated codes, since the computer registers the event as a normal kill switch operation. They could have fixed it right the first time and saved the original owner and you a ton of head aches.

Not sure their service department can be trusted much either at this point. Just thought I'd throw that out there as ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

WaltH
07-29-2013, 06:44 PM
That is a sad situation..I have also had a sales person lie to me...Seems to be quite common...What is wrong with the belt?...I heard they should go at least 50,000 miles

The drive belt is good for at least 100,000 miles. I had 116,000 on one of my Spyders when I sold it and the drive belt was still in very good condition. The belt is much the same as the one Harley uses (different length) and they expect at least 100,000 miles.

Jedye
07-30-2013, 11:26 AM
RESOLUTION!!!!

We're just finishing up the paperwork. I had a whole speech planned about what to tell the GM and salesman. As I was walking in to Hattiesburg Cycles, the owner (Mr. Larry) saw me and asked if there was a problem. I told him yes, I specifically asked about preexisting issues with this Bike as was led to believe is was in good condition which it isn't.
To my surprise, Mr. Larry said "Yup... Look around the showroom. I'll be right back."

Never got a chance to recite my speech. 8/. It was beautiful too...like it was written by William Shakespeare and recited by Morgan Freeman.

About 15 minutes later he came out as asked if I found something I like. A little bewildered, I asked him wants the plan? He said "we're takin your 2011 RT-s and puttin you in a 2013 Rt-S and I can reduce the price so your only paying $1000.00 more". (so in other words, I got a brand new 2013 RT-S for $25K).

I wanted to make sure he knew my intention wasn't to get something for nothing but he told me the '14's would be out soon and he's just giving me an advance on a good deal that will ultimately happen next year anyway.

Larry's honesty and ethics are impeccable!

Justin (the original Salesman) is still a buttnugget though. Mr. Larry said he had a few words with him and it "wasn't right what he did you".

Apology accepted and I feel like I got a great deal.

Just waiting for them to put my seat on the bike (I'm funny like that... I liked my seat... It has my buns of steel already imprinted on it and has a Utopia back rest) and then I'm heading home.

Again, thanks to all of you for the suggestions, tips and support!

ARCTIC
07-30-2013, 11:32 AM
RESOLUTION!!!!

We're just finishing up the paperwork. I had a whole speech planned about what to tell the GM and salesman. As I was walking in to Hattiesburg Cycles, the owner (Mr. Larry) saw me and asked if there was a problem. I told him yes, I specifically asked about preexisting issues with this Bike as was led to believe is was in good condition which it isn't.
To my surprise, Mr. Larry said "Yup... Look around the showroom. I'll be right back."

Never got a chance to recite my speech. 8/. It was beautiful too...like it was written by William Shakespeare and recited by Morgan Freeman.

About 15 minutes later he came out as asked if I found something I like. A little bewildered, I asked him wants the plan? He said "we're takin your 2011 RT-s and puttin you in a 2013 Rt-S and I can reduce the price so your only paying $1000.00 more". (so in other words, I got a brand new 2013 RT-S for $25K).

I wanted to make sure he knew my intention wasn't to get something for nothing but he told me the '14's would be out soon and he's just giving me an advance on a good deal that will ultimately happen next year anyway.

Justin (the original Salesman) is still a buttnugget though. Mr. Larry said he had a few words with him and it "wasn't right what he did you".

Just waiting for them to put my seat on the bike (I'm funny like that... I liked my seat... It has my buns of steel already imprinted on it and has a Utopia back rest) and then I'm heading home.

If your happy, we're happy:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Fan-Dang-Tastic! :2thumbs: :yes::ohyea::yes: :2thumbs:
Once you navigate around Justin; this dealership sounds as if it's got some real potential! :thumbup:

bullant12
07-30-2013, 12:02 PM
RESOLUTION!!!!

It's always GREAT to hear when a dealer steps up to the plate and makes wrong's right!:clap:
I just hope they do something with the previous unit you have before another unsuspected customer wants to buy it...
:congrats: on your BRAND NEW rYde... now we need is pics!:thumbup:

ARtraveler
07-30-2013, 12:07 PM
So glad to here that you got your issues solved with the dealer and ended up with another :spyder2:. We are hoping this one works out satisfactory for you. :thumbup:

Knarfoh
07-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Awesome. Good deal all around to solve a problem that shouldn't have been.

KUDOS to the dealership for deciding on an amicable way to resolve the problem. We need to give credit when it is due. Helps when everyone doesn't dig their heels in to the point meaningful discussion stops.

A lot to learn from this experience. I bought a used boat earlier this year. While the couple I purchased it from seem nice and honest - I took it to the local marine dealer for a complete check (in February in Ohio). I could have held my breath and hoped things were like they represented but I had the dealer check it out and then winterize it again since it was still very cold here.

For $200, I had PEACE OF MIND.

Jedye
07-30-2013, 02:32 PM

She's getting a little wet but that's fine.

There's a HUGE difference in the way this one handles vs the 2011s. Loving it... Will post more later.

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 02:33 PM
She may be wet; but she's yours, and she's beautiful! :2thumbs:

ARCTIC
07-30-2013, 02:55 PM

There's a HUGE difference in the way this one handles vs the 2011s. Loving it... Will post more later.

Oh no!!!! Apparently Larry didn't inform you about the issues that the yellow spyders have?

:roflblack::roflblack::joke:

Kratos
07-30-2013, 02:56 PM
What an awesome ending to a great story. Wow, many of us south Mississippians have lost faith in Hattiesburg Cycles and refuse to go there, but reading this story about the owner and what he did helps restore faith to me about the dealership. Now I know that I need to separate the employees from one another and try to see where the good lies in the dealership. And it's good you gave a name so that we know who to talk to if someone at Hattiesburg Cycles pulls a fast one...

On another note, the yellow RTS's look waaaaaaaaay better in person. I saw one for the first time 2 days ago and was blown away. Best RT I've ever seen....

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=ARCTIC;664653]Oh no!!!! Apparently Larry didn't inform you about the issues that the yellow spyders have?
Oh :shocked:; don't do that to him! :D

ARCTIC
07-30-2013, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=ARCTIC;664653]Oh no!!!! Apparently Larry didn't inform you about the issues that the yellow spyders have?
Oh :shocked:; don't do that to him! :D

:roflblack::roflblack: haha. Gotta have fun with it:ohyea:

Jedye
07-30-2013, 04:36 PM
LOL @ ARCTIC!

Larry was great. David was a salesman that would helped me too. And there service team is excellent.

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Soooo... Did you let the air out of Justin's tires while you we're there? :D :roflblack:

Pennyrick
07-30-2013, 05:15 PM

Congratulations.

For the record... here is a picture of the salesman to watch out for. But then again, maybe the talking to worked and he may have learned a lesson.

Jedye
07-30-2013, 05:17 PM
LoL

Yep... That's Justin.

Spyder601
07-30-2013, 06:19 PM
That's great news. I have talked to Larry several times and he has always seemed interested in feed back from his customers. He may be the type of owner to listen and absorb then react. Which may be why it took him a few days to get his plan in place for you. As I have stated before I have had nothing but good things to say about this dealership and once again there service department is spot on in my opinion. The new Ryde looks great congrats!! :clap::yes:

Jedye
07-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Spyder601, I completely agree. Every dealership will have problems. How they recover and react to those problems separate a bad dealer from a good dealer. Mr. Larry and Hattiesburg Cycles has done right by me and more than made up for the bad experience with ONE salesman.

I will continue to give them my business. I'll be back in a weeks to let them install my Bluetooth set up.

BBBANDIT
07-30-2013, 08:54 PM
I bought my new RT-S (yellow) from Hattiesburg Cycles 2 months ago and had a very good experience. I met Mr Larry and he seemed very genioun to me. The service dept. Is definitely a good bunch to work with. They are much better than my locale dealer. Glad they could get you satisfied. You will not regret getting the yellow, I have gotten nothing but compliments on mine.:cheers:

SpyderRx
07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I had a fealing Larry would come through for you. He has a big business there which means he has done something right through the years. I think it speaks a lot of him to still be there every day sitting up front as the greater when you walk through the door. You would never know he was the owner. Anybody can hire a bad employ or 2. I'm glad you came out on top. I will probably let them change the rear tire I just ordered in the next few weeks. I think their service department is good. Most of all I trust the service department which seems surprisingly seems like a difficult thing to accomplish with spyder dealers. Now lets put some miles and farkles on that thing!

OJ UK
07-31-2013, 08:34 AM
It's good to know that the owner, Mr. Larry, has still got his finger on the pulse.
So many successful businesses get bad press because the owner is relying too heavily
on his management team.
Now you have got your 'foot in the door' so to speak and the owner is aware of you as
a customer with whom he has had to deal with personally I think you'll be well looked after.
Put him on your Xmas card list!
Had it been my company, Justin would have got a serious reminder about sales ethics in
a company that I built from scratch.....and perhaps Justin did get a warning, let's hope so.
I wish you the best of luck with your 'new' lovely yellow Spyder.

SPYD3R
07-31-2013, 08:55 AM
being a used car/bike salesman, is a precurser to becoming a politician.... :yikes:
Screw me once, shame on you, Screw me twice shame on me....

Kratos
07-31-2013, 09:00 AM
Hattiesburg Cycles is the closest dealer to me, and would be HIGHLY convenient for me buying my spyder from there (if I were to buy a 14). So this thread is really making me happy right now, because I thought I would never be able to go there again. Knowing the name of the owner and his character helps ALOT for me. When I had bad experiences there, I had no clue who the owner was or that I could even talk to him.

stillriding
08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Considering that your intended plan of attack was discussed on this forum, it appears the owner also reads spyderlovers.com and was "ready" for you in a GOOD way.

ARCTIC
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Considering that your intended plan of attack was discussed on this forum, it appears the owner also reads spyderlovers.com and was "ready" for you in a GOOD way.

I thought the same thing. Awful strange that the dealer suggested exactly what you were planning to propose

Kratos
08-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I thought the same too. At first I thought it was a conclusion that they both came up with because it made sense to the situation. But now, I'm thinking what you two are thinking.

Jedye
08-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Actually, he gave me better than what I was proposing.

But you may be right. I guess if I owned a business, I'd want to know what my customers think, so it's probable that he reads the forums.

And in retrospect, I've gone to Hattiesburg Cycles a few times. This was the only time the owner actually approached me. (I chalked it up to he had just seen me the business day before and thought it was odd I was back so soon). AND...I didn't have to explain much to him. Just that Justin hasn't sold me what he said he sold me.

So if you're reading this Mr. Larry...thanks! Loving the new ryde!