PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to get rid of a clutch?

COSpyder
06-22-2008, 10:12 AM
I asked this question last night here at home. I don't know if it was because I asked during the Ultimate Fighter finale or if the question is just so dumb all I deserved was an eye roll! He's usually pretty good at answering my questions so I decided not to push it. After a 1200 mile ride a couple of weeks ago, my left hand began to kill me. Turns out I have carpal tunnel syndrome and have probably had it for some time. The bike is aggravating it. I know the new handlebar set up will help as I am short and am leaning into the bars when I ride. I am in good shape and have a very strong grip which I work on keeping, so a weak hand is not the problem. I got gel padded gloves yesterday which also help a bit. I am hoping that the new handlebar set up will be the only solution I need. But I am still wondering if there is a way to not have to pull in the clutch lever at stops, other than obvioulsy putting the bike in neutral.

mike3069
06-22-2008, 10:24 AM
It MAY be possible. The SE-5 has a centfrifical clutch on it. I know that you can do this with a Harly also. Try talking to Gail at this link.

Web: http://www.disabledmotorcyclerider.com

Email: disabledmotorcycleriders@msn.com

COSpyder
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
That might just be my answer! Thanks for the site.

retread
06-22-2008, 11:49 AM
While I was mucking about a couple of weeks ago, I found a website that had automatic clutches available; cost was HIGH, but they were available for Aprilias. I'll see if I can find it again and get it posted.

J-Dub70
06-22-2008, 12:10 PM
Does anyone out there know if any parts companies make a "mechanical advantage" clutch lever? Something with a mechanism similar to the jaws on a pair of bolt cutters? It seems to me that something like this could help a whole lot of people. If not - maybe one of you guys that manufacture parts (Mad Matt?) could take this idea and run with it. It seems like it could be a much less expensive (and easier to install) alternative to a sequential transmission or centrifugal clutch.

Danimal
06-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I know of someone that created a clutch assist unit... but there wasn't enough interest for them to make them in qty.

There is information elsewhere you can find out about it, but I'm not allowed to say where... ;D

Smylinacha
06-22-2008, 05:21 PM
I wonder if you can put an ez clutch on it?

92lt
06-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Try these companies:
www.efmautoclutch.com/
www.rekluse.com
www.rev-loc.com

My hands are partially disabled and rekluse was great in helping me with my Ninja. Also, like Smylinacha said, they sell an EZ-clutch that are used on dirtbikes. It goes in between the cable and lever and adds leverage so the pull is easier.

This is the reason I opted for the SE5.

dltang
06-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Can someone elaborate more on this EZ Clutch. I am intrigued and interested. In heavy traffic my hand gets sore too from holding in the clutch so much.

COSpyder
06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
Please revisit this! I wear an xsmall glove and my hand is 6" long from the base of the hand to the tip of my middle finger. My hands are very strong for a woman as I carry a gun and keep them strong, but this new carpal tunnel issue is killing me. I do think the extra rise from the new handlebar kit coming out will help as I won't lean on the handlebars anymore but a better clutch pull, or better yet, no clutch, would be great. I have it adjusted to the closest point but I pretty much start pulling it with the tips of my fingers. I am gonna ask the question at home again since anything I get will be a project for him, but I will just pick a better time!

COSpyder
06-22-2008, 07:42 PM
[quote=evoluzione ]
we designed a lower effort clutch slave cylinder months ago (we build them for bmw, ducati, aprilia, ktm, etc.) but there wasn't much interest. i have seen a lot of talk recently about the need for a lower effort clutch so we may need to revisit this. here is a shot of the prototype:

http://evoluzione.net/web%20info/spider%20slave%20b.jpg

[quote]
I just read this again. What will a "lower effort" clutch do? For me, pulling it in is not necessarily the issue, but I am sure less effort would mean less strain on that median nerve and less issues overall with my hand. I have been able to overcome most "small hand" issues in my life but this one is kicking my butt!

NancysToy
06-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Please revisit this! I wear an xsmall glove and my hand is 6" long from the base of the hand to the tip of my middle finger. My hands are very strong for a woman as I carry a gun and keep them strong, but this new carpal tunnel issue is killing me. I do think the extra rise from the new handlebar kit coming out will help as I won't lean on the handlebars anymore but a better clutch pull, or better yet, no clutch, would be great. I have it adjusted to the closest point but I pretty much start pulling it with the tips of my fingers. I am gonna ask the question at home again since anything I get will be a project for him, but I will just pick a better time!

I have carpel tunnel, moderate to severe, both wrists. I also had a wrist injury to my left arm in a fall last year. Couldn't open a jar anymore, hold anything without numbness, weakness,, and pain, and couldn't even think of holding in a clutch. Doctor decided to try physical therapy before surgery. Eight weeks of PT, and continued exercises, worked wonders. Wrist is the best it has been in years. If I don't do the exercises, stretches, and muscle relaxing techniques, the wrist complains, but as long as I keep it in shape, it does very well. Part of the problems were caused by the wrist, but actually were not in the wrist itself anymore. If your doctor thinks you are a candidate for PT, you might try it. They worked wonders for me.
-Scotty

COSpyder
06-22-2008, 09:01 PM
I am going back to the doc on Thursday and am going to ask for PT. He wants surgery but I can't be out all summer with that issue and I don't want to wait until after summer and just deal with this pain without any relief. I am wearing a brace at night and that helps. The weirdest part of this is that I am right handed!

Smylinacha
06-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Maybe ez clutches like these? Not sure if they would work on the :spyder: though.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/___W0QQ_nkwZezQ20clutchQQ_newuZ1QQ_sopZ1

SpyderMark
06-24-2008, 07:22 AM
But I am still wondering if there is a way to not have to pull in the clutch lever at stops, other than obvioulsy putting the bike in neutral.

Do you use the clutch for shifting? This engine/transmission combination lends itself VERY well to clutchless shifting. If you can perfect your technique you might reduce aggravating the injury to the point using the clutch for stopping/starting only is endurable.

Regards,

Mark

COSpyder
06-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I don't always use it for shifting. I am pretty sure the issue is with my palm as I use my middle finger and ring finger only to shift. I read your post and then hopped on the bike to check it out! I have not ridden much for over a week and my hand feels much better. The bike is in the shop for the 3rd time for a brake issue so I won't be riding again for at least a day. When it was in last time, a watercraft "rolled into it" and gouged the trunk lid so that is also being replaced. I am so glad we do our own service. I worry a bit about the techs at this place! Thanks for the help.