PDA

View Full Version : Change the Battery

bluespydergal
07-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Can someone tell me how to get to the battery in my RT (2012)? I can't seem to get to it to remove it. Is there an easy way?

happyspyder2039
07-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Can someone tell me how to get to the battery in my RT (2012)? I can't seem to get to it to remove it. Is there an easy way?No ! As far as I know its under the Passenger seat on the left side as you are sitting on the :spyder2: & requires panel removal

exwinger
07-26-2013, 07:46 PM
There should be instructions in the manual , at least there is on my 2011. Without instructions telling what all has to be removed you're gonna be sort of screwed. I don't know if it was 2012 they changed the location or not. If it's still in the same place , there are panels to be removed .It's not fun but with a little patience it can be done , it's like putting 10lbs of something in a 9lb bag , really crammed . You'll need to twist and turn to get it out. Is there a reason you need to take it out already ?

Motorcycledave
07-26-2013, 07:53 PM
There is NO easy way to get to the battery.... however on the new ones 2013 I here
they have moved it to the front in the frunk.

bluespydergal
07-26-2013, 08:44 PM
There should be instructions in the manual , at least there is on my 2011. Without instructions telling what all has to be removed you're gonna be sort of screwed. I don't know if it was 2012 they changed the location or not. If it's still in the same place , there are panels to be removed .It's not fun but with a little patience it can be done , it's like putting 10lbs of something in a 9lb bag , really crammed . You'll need to twist and turn to get it out. Is there a reason you need to take it out already ?

I meant to say I have a 2011 (typo, it is not a 2012). My husband is in the middle taking the bike apart. It looks like it will not go back together and he is very frustrated. The battery is dead. It is the original battery. Thank you for your help and suggesting patience. We need it!

bluespydergal
07-26-2013, 08:46 PM
There is NO easy way to get to the battery.... however on the new ones 2013 I here
they have moved it to the front in the frunk.

At this point I may trade this one in for a 2013!

Bob Denman
07-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Lamont did a video about this...
It seems that there are only two "screws" holding that panel in place... (kind of under the left side passenger handrail...)

gypsy_100
07-27-2013, 08:25 AM
I meant to say I have a 2011 (typo, it is not a 2012). My husband is in the middle taking the bike apart. It looks like it will not go back together and he is very frustrated. The battery is dead. It is the original battery. Thank you for your help and suggesting patience. We need it!

If your husband already has it apart, I'm not sure what you are asking. A few suggestions generally -- when removing panels or anything else on the bike, keep the screws and fasteners together with the panel, in a little plastic cup or something. Check each fastener from each panel to see if they are identical. Sometimes they are slightly different lengths, etc. If not identical, mark them so you know which go where. Believe me, when you go to put it back together, you'll never remember.

For the battery, you need to remove the big side panel that runs across the side of the bike under the seat edge and ends at the hand grip and goes around the front of the side case. Then you have to get the black panel with the handgrip on it (that Bob mentioned) off. Two torx screws I recall, one of which you already removed when you removed the side panel. The rear one is buried under the seat edge. The manual says disconnect the seat strut so you can raise the seat higher and get access to the screw. I use a tiny torx insert and a lot of patience and manage to do it while leaving the seat connected and just in its normal up position. Probably easier to raise the seat as the manual says. The seat sensor wires go thru this panel and will have to be disconnected once you get the panel loose and can see what you are doing under there. Ditto for the connector under the handgrip for the grip heaters.

With that panel out, you'll see a rubber cover over the back of the battery. Jiggle it out and you'll see the negative terminal and a rubber strap that holds the battery in position. The positive terminal is accessed from in front of the side case, revealed when you removed that big side panel. It's under a big red rubber cover with a little trap door that lets you access the terminal bolt with the cover still in place. Once you have disconnected both terminals and removed the rubber strap, it's just a question of juggling the battery out or there. It's pretty heavy for a motorcycle battery and getting it out of its tray and around the bike's structure back there is a trick but eventually you'll get it. I'm writing all this from memory but I think it's basically correct. Hope it helps.

Chupaca
07-27-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=72536&d=1374887537

Roger, you are strangely silent on this subject..!! :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
07-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes; but his silence can speak volumes... :thumbup: