PDA

View Full Version : Handlebar Riser

Rotaxrocket
06-21-2008, 08:03 PM
When I bought my Spyder I bought a riser block from Can Am. I got it and installed it. My handlebars were off by approx. 2 degrees. During my service it was checked by a service tech. The riser can only be put on one way due to the casting and the distinctive groove. The service manager called Can Am factory and was told "Oh yea we had a batch of those that were off as a matter of fact one of our company units had one installed" They are still producing them some may be ok and some may be off. Can Am's position is if the customer doesn't notice and protest then oh well. Can Am authorized an alignment on my Spyder. If anyone else has a problem with that Can Am will authorize the repair. :doorag:

Smylinacha
06-21-2008, 09:07 PM
We put the riser on ourselves - wasn't hard and it seemed to go well and not take long. Can I ask you what problem you had? If it was off by a couple degrees did it do anything to the start up? I'm asking cuz we put the risers on, started the bike up fine but today it wouldn't start right away when we were riding and taking breaks - took a while - I was wondering if it could be the risers since this didn't happen before we installed them.
Thx!

mike3069
06-22-2008, 10:30 AM
I can confirm that at least some (mine) of the risers are off a couple of degrees. Should not affect anything except your brain. ;D Makes me nuts when I think about it, but I never notice while riding.

Smylinacha
06-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I can confirm that at least some (mine) of the risers are off a couple of degrees. Should not affect anything except your brain. ;D Makes me nuts when I think about it, but I never notice while riding.

But Jeez - the ride is so much better w/ the riser on it! At least for me it is and I'm short - only 5 feet. I can't wait till Mad Matt comes out w/ his - but I gotta buy his exhaust system first. All these accessories that are so 8) cost as much as when I owned my harley!

Rotaxrocket
06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
We put the riser on ourselves - wasn't hard and it seemed to go well and not take long. Can I ask you what problem you had? If it was off by a couple degrees did it do anything to the start up? I'm asking cuz we put the risers on, started the bike up fine but today it wouldn't start right away when we were riding and taking breaks - took a while - I was wondering if it could be the risers since this didn't happen before we installed them.
Thx!

I don't think that would have any effect on the starting. It may be a vapor lock effect, which occurrs when the outside temp is really hot and the fuel vaporizes in the fuel line. That is usually a carburated engine issue. Your problem is the outside temp.

Rotaxrocket
06-22-2008, 07:55 PM

I have the same issues, but Can Am built and sold them so warranty can cover it. It's not like we didn't pay enough for them. :doorag: :agree:

Smylinacha
06-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I have the same issues, but Can Am built and sold them so warranty can cover it. It's not like we didn't pay enough for them. :doorag: :agree:

No kidding - they sure got the Kaching thing goin on! Their stuff is as much as Harley's stuff!

Rotaxrocket
06-25-2008, 05:34 AM
No kidding - they sure got the Kaching thing goin on! Their stuff is as much as Harley's stuff!

:agree: I rode Harleys before as well as Hondas and all the accessories are expensive. All those companies look at how much the market will bear. i.e. price gouging in a sense.

SpyderBiker
06-26-2008, 06:40 AM
I just checked mine...I don't seem to have that 2 degree issue...it appears to be the same temperature as all my other parts.

jeuchler
06-26-2008, 06:48 AM
I just checked mine...I don't seem to have that 2 degree issue...it appears to be the same temperature as all my other parts.

Whoa...be careful Spyderbiker:

2 degrees Fahrenheit = 1.12 degrees Celsius

Don't forget: your Spyder was made in downtown Canada! :joke:

bjt
06-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Okay. These last two posts made me go back and re-read the first post to see wht this temperature issue was. ;D