PDA

View Full Version : Bike will not start

rhansen309
07-26-2013, 09:44 AM
Bike will not start - 2011 RT with 8500 miles
Started bike - backed out of garage - turned it off. Hand wash, used hose gently to rinse off lower panels. Dried, used some stuff to make it shine. Took a break. Went to start it - all indications normal, parking break on, in neutral, foot on break, pressed mode button, pressed start switch - engine sounds like it rolled over once then nothing. No codes came up. Tried it three times, took key out walked away, hooked up battery tender and it shows yellow like it is charging the battery. I am going to wait about 30 minutes and then try again.
Any suggestions. Thanks.

rhansen309
07-26-2013, 09:53 AM
A few minutes on the tender and it started. It is back in the garage and on the tender. Thanks.

Bob Denman
07-26-2013, 10:22 AM
I wonder why your battery was down so much? :dontknow:
Was anything left running? (extra lights?)

napper39
07-26-2013, 10:43 AM
you should keep the battery tender on at all times not riding to asure that the battery is at full charge,now that i said that some one that thinks he knows moore than me will say you dont need to his stays charged all the time will now you know that isent on all spyders.most run dowen if not kept on a tender.:chat:

Bob Denman
07-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Okay; I'll step into it...
I only hook my RT up when it's stored for Winter...
But, I don't have any extra electrical draw coming off of it, and the bike gets run just about every day..
And my battery is the original, with 37 months under it's belt! :thumbup:

jerpinoy
07-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Good thing you did not panic and I'm glad you got it started. keeping the battery charge up always is the best thing. Double check your battery connections for corrosion and tightness. Have fun and ride safe.:yes:

Chupaca
07-26-2013, 11:01 AM
if you start and stop a lot on short run you don't give the system enough time to re-charge the battery. So then wise to have it on a tender. Storage good idea, but with regular use it is not needed. Now if yours is a christmas tree of lights, mega sound system with bells and whistles the tender is also wise. You may be consuming more and charging less...jme

MouthPiece
07-26-2013, 11:11 AM
But, I don't have any extra electrical draw coming off of it, and the bike gets run just about every day..

Ditto!!!

Chris

exwinger
07-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Another dead horse here.................if the bike charging system is operating correctly there is absolutely no reason to have to keep it on a tender all the time . Granted if it's going to sit for awhile or just taking short trips , the tender helps keep the battery charged. I had to have mine on a tender all the time unless riding everyday on trips long enough to charge it.Put it in the shop and told them not to call me until the problem was starightened out....and they did .Had a bad rectifier ( which never showed bad while testing ) and relay sticking which they found. Rectifier was replaced "just in case " per BRP and problem solved. I have not had mine on a tender since early June and has started every time where before if I let it set longer than two days the battery was dead. My batteries were actually being destroyed .

Right from the techs mouth at the owners event this year......If you have to keep the bike on a tender then there's something wrong somewhere.

rhansen309
07-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Ok I started this :bdh: so let me add more to it. I do keep it on a tender most of the time. Lately when we ride I have my wife's iPhone in a lighter connection I installed by her hand grips. I have my iPhone in a connection I installed in the speaker grill and a thing called a booster from boosteroo. That is plugged into the lighter connection in the trunk. So I don't think I am drawing too much. I looked at the charger and it was still charging. So I may need to leave it off overnight and see what happens. Thanks for all of the feedback. I am sure there is more to come!!!!!!

Tierhog
07-26-2013, 01:29 PM
Keep mine on a tender religiously. Yuasa replacement every 6 years. No gizmos attached. No issues battery wise... Ever.

Bob Denman
07-26-2013, 01:38 PM
Ok I started this :bdh: so let me add more to it.... I looked at the charger and it was still charging. So I may need to leave it off overnight and see what happens. Thanks for all of the feedback. I am sure there is more to come!!!!!!
Thanks for jumping into the mudpit with us! :D

It about sounds as if your battery is toast... Sorry! :shocked:

ARtraveler
07-26-2013, 01:52 PM

Same here. One :spyder2: gets ridden almost every day, the other sits for five days at a time, and is ridden on the weekend. No problem with starts or low battery indicators. Also on the original battery on the 2010. My sits on a tender from mid October to mid March or slightly later each year.

gypsy_100
07-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Ok I started this :bdh: so let me add more to it. ... and a thing called a booster from boosteroo. That is plugged into the lighter connection in the trunk. So I don't think I am drawing too much. ...

I don't know what your "booster" is but be aware that the lighter connection in the trunk is "hot" all the time. Unless you have a switch function on your booster, it will be on all the time. Could be why your battery is draining when the bike is not used.

bill pitman
07-26-2013, 03:48 PM
Do check your connections at the battery,
that is the one thing on my list to do....maybe this weekend,

Bill

rhansen309
07-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. We took part in our village homecoming parade today. Bike started just fine this morning and while waiting fr parade to start. We will see what is o come down the road.

rhansen309
07-31-2013, 07:02 PM
I took the panels off tonight and the positive terminal was about a turn and a half loose. The negative was tight. Put it back together and it started just fine. Thanks all.

johnwinslow
07-31-2013, 07:40 PM
A few minutes on the tender and it started. It is back in the garage and on the tender. Thanks.

it is a lot like hair sometimes when you wash it you can not do a thing with it:joke::roflblack::roflblack: