PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping the exhaust pipes?

bjt
06-21-2008, 08:14 AM
I also wrapped my exhaust pipe along the left side from the header to the crossover with fiberglass wrap. Simple job, and cut the left side heat down by 80%.

Will take pictures when I remove the covers again.

After reading comments like this, I have a question or two for all you guys who have wrapped portions of your exhaust on the Spyder or on any other vehicle. I have read at least one comment that says it is harmful to the engine to wrap the pipes as it doesn't allow heat to get away from the engine. Do any of you have a concern about the fiberglass tape causing engine damage? Is it okay to wrap just certain sections of the pipes but not the entire thing? On the few days that it has gotten up in the 90s where I live, I have noticed a slightly uncomfortable heat on my left leg that I believe would be removed if I wrapped that portion of the exhaust. However, it isn't so bad that I would risk putting undue wear and tear on the engine.

Ray R
06-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Where did you read the comment that exhaust tape could harm the engine?

bjt
06-23-2008, 05:23 AM
I can't recall where I read that. Maybe it was just one persons opinion as to why they wouldn't wrap the pipe. But I don't remember that they got any replies telling them they were wrong. I was hoping for one of the motorcycle veterans to say that they have wrapped exhausts on various bikes for many, many years and have never had a problem with it.

Magic Man
06-23-2008, 07:33 AM
I know Lamonster's exhaust is wrapped, and he has over 11,000 miles now still running strong with no problems.

MM

Sopher
06-23-2008, 04:31 PM
For what its worth, I wrapped my entire pipe from Engine to the Y split for the exhaust.
The bike will "Season" the tape for the first few rides, but after that it does emit less heat.

Lamonster
06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Do a google search

Exhaust Insulating Tape Wrap: Thermo Tec makes an insulating wrap for exhaust headers that is claimed to increase horsepower while reducing the external temperature by up to 70%. Wrapping headers with Header Wrap maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures. Withstands continuous heat up to 2000° F, and contains no asbestos"

bjt
06-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Do a google search

Exhaust Insulating Tape Wrap: Thermo Tec makes an insulating wrap for exhaust headers that is claimed to increase horsepower while reducing the external temperature by up to 70%. Wrapping headers with Header Wrap maintains hotter exhaust gases that exit the system faster through decreased density. Increased exhaust scavenging is produced, along with lower intake temperatures. Withstands continuous heat up to 2000° F, and contains no asbestos"

That's the kind of stuff I want to hear!

Twodog185
06-24-2008, 04:44 AM
I wrapped the left side pipe from the header to the crossover under the seat. And also the 90 at the mircon (protect from accidental burns on legs by people standing too close). I then extended the scoop down in the radiator chamber so that no heat escapes out of the bottom of the cowl towards my right foot. Heat is not an issue anymore.

SpyderMark
06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
I have read at least one comment that says it is harmful to the engine to wrap the pipes as it doesn't allow heat to get away from the engine. Do any of you have a concern about the fiberglass tape causing engine damage?

You may have confused getting heat "away from the engine" with getting heat away from the pipes. It's unlikely wrapping the pipes will make the ENGINE run hotter, but there is little doubt the PIPES themselves will run hotter.

There is a great deal of anecdotal evidence that wrapping the pipes can result in premature wear on the pipes themselves. Since the wrap keeps exhaust heat away from the rider and other parts of the machine, it stands to reason the heat is remaining in the pipes. Exactly how much of a problem this is for the pipes is a matter of debate, but many people have reported premature wear (holes, cracking, etc.) with wrapped pipes (in applications other than the Spyder).

Another issue is corrosion. Certain types of wraps will hold moisture close the pipes which some speculate leads to corrosion (see http://www.rx7club.com/showpost.php?p=6858247&postcount=13).

Many advocates of pipe wrapping say, "So be it, I'll accept the premature pipe wear and enjoy all the other benefits."

My personal opinion is if you are hot rodding enough to generate the kind of heat necessary to cause premature wear in a wrapped pipe then you have already demonstrated a willingness to accept premature wear -- of your much more expensive engine components. ;D

Regards,

Mark

Lamonster
06-24-2008, 08:05 AM
:agree: to a point but we do have stainless steel pipes so it is much les likely to be a problem. :doorag:

Rokonman
06-24-2008, 02:44 PM
After returning from Valcourt in 95 degree heat for 10 hours, I wrapped my left side pipe as far as I could reach inside the panels and the result was impressive and immediate. I did get a short period of "smoke" as the wrap seasoned itself. Now, the heat rising out of the top left body panel is only "warm" certainly not hot.

Napalmseth
06-24-2008, 02:51 PM
I take it this stuff is pretty self explanatory and easy to wrap? With the heat and humidity in florida, anything to make sitting at a light a little cooler is welcome. What width tape did you guys use or suggest using? Should I be wearing gloves?(fiberglass, correct?)

bjt
06-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Exhaust wrap, Question #2

Lamonster, Twodog185, Rokonman and any others who wrapped their exhaust, what product did you guys use? I read a little about the Thermo Tec product that Lamonster referenced and it sounds good. It's not fiberglass so there shouldn't be any itchy hand issues and the technology in it sounds impressive.

Twodog185
06-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Thermo-tech sounds right. I got the wrap from Advance Auto 2" X 50' ($40). They sell a "special clamp" with it. Drop that, I used regular pipe clamp. The wrap looks raw...like an old school motorcycle. The clamps do not take away from the affect. Issue...you can see the wrap on the left hand side. If you choose, you can buy black high temp sealant/paint for that application. I still may do that. Not sure I like being able to see the wrap behind the plastic. As far as the wrap at the 90, who cares...keeps little kids from burning themselves.

ld271
06-24-2008, 06:18 PM
I wraped mine and a friends a few months ago i used the wrap the special clamps it made the job go that much faster and made the job look great i don't think using hose clamps is the way to go i find that to be half a :edit: :edit: job and i used the spray heat paint a little smoke after but no problems a lot less heat on the left side

SPYMAN
06-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Thermo-tech sounds right. I got the wrap from Advance Auto 2" X 50' ($40). They sell a "special clamp" with it. Drop that, I used regular pipe clamp. The wrap looks raw...like an old school motorcycle. The clamps do not take away from the affect. Issue...you can see the wrap on the left hand side. If you choose, you can buy black high temp sealant/paint for that application. I still may do that. Not sure I like being able to see the wrap behind the plastic. As far as the wrap at the 90, who cares...keeps little kids from burning themselves.

I just got done wrapping mine on the left side tonight, It sounds like you wrapped all the way out, Did you pull it all out to wrap the pipe underneath??

SPYMAN

Sopher
06-24-2008, 10:23 PM
I used DEI heat wrap. http://www.designengineering.com/products.asp?m=sp&pid=9 I got the 2" x50' roll. About $50 And I got the 8" ties. About $15.
Word of advise: Its better to have as long of a wrap as possible. But with 50' wet (you dip in water to geta tight wrap) it gets unwieldy. So... If you do cut a large length, be sure that the ends are no where near the movable parts like the drive belt, shifters, etc. It's actually easier to start at the exhaust Y Split and wrap back towards the headers. IMHO.
Be sure to use those steel ties; especially where the wrap has to cover the spring, and other protruding items. Use Ties at both ends of a wrap length. In between and anywhere that remotely looks like it could loosen. Err on the side of caution.
I started with gloves, but they do get in the way. Since the wrap was dipped in water, it use bare hands. Just wash them good afterwards; my hands were tinted with graphite like crap. not itchy, just dirty. Take you time and plan on about an hour and half to wrap it all. I have about 8-10' left over when done. I'll use the remainder when I get my 90deg and Micron.

yelloud
07-08-2008, 10:43 AM
like i said in another thread, i just recently bought an actual motorcycle pipe wrap kit online. it saved me a lot of guess work and shop around.

http://www.deicycle.com/catalog/1/motorcycle_exhaust_pipe_wrap_kits

the kit comes with everything you need, short of water, and its held up super well. the install was really nothing too complicated.