PDA

View Full Version : 08 GS Running tail lights out!

OnVentures
07-24-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi all, I went out for a ride yesterday an got less than 1 mile when my bike went into limp mode. I turned the bike off then restarted and was able to ride home. The next day I restarted the spyder and had no codes but also no tail or running lights. Checked all fuses and they were all good. Can anyone help. OnVentures

Yazz
07-24-2013, 05:53 PM
Have you checked to make sure the tail lights aren't burned out?

Nanny doesn't like it when the bulbs aren't working.

NancysToy
07-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Also check the wire running to the license plate light. If it comes loose and contacts the tire it can short out and cause problems. I'd also check fuse F7 again, just to be sure. Beyond that it is likely bulbs if it started OK.

bill pitman
07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi all, I went out for a ride yesterday an got less than 1 mile when my bike went into limp mode. I turned the bike off then restarted and was able to ride home. The next day I restarted the spyder and had no codes but also no tail or running lights. Checked all fuses and they were all good. Can anyone help. OnVentures

Do you have a wiring diagram?
Fuse #7 is OK you said.
I would start by checking for voltage- at the fuse(1-FB1-B7)red/yel wire,
at the "input" side of the ignition switch(can't read connector info)red/yel wire,
at the "output" side of the ignition switch, orange wire(switch must be on) this wire goes to JT(junction terminal?) which feeds - marker lights, tail lights, license plate light,brake light, an input into the VCM.
i'm thinking it's got to be something common to all components not working.
Loose connection, wire....
Get your ground connection, for your meter, from under the seat.

I don't think it's a ground problem, as each component has it's own ground connection. Unless they all meet in one spot on the frame(I don't know where that is! I'm hoping Scotty will enlighten me!)
Please let us know what the problem turns out to be,

Bill

OnVentures
07-24-2013, 08:16 PM
I had checked fuse f7 with my multi meter and it checked out ok. Then I replaced it with a new one and now I have brake and tail lights! Thank guys you are the best! OnVentures.

NancysToy
07-24-2013, 08:21 PM
They all tie back to a single junction terminal...probably the rear frame ground negative jumper under the seat). I'd check the bulbs if the fuse is OK. A surge could take them all out. You could also check for voltage at the sockets if you protect the probe so it doesn't short on the socket side. Something had to cause the surge if there was one, though, like a dead short in the license light wiring. If nothing is obvious it is trace from beginning to end. At that point a shop manual and wiring diagram is invaluable.

groundeffect
08-09-2013, 03:54 PM
If you'll be checking and changing our your rear tail blubs, this may be of interest to you.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?21869-Brake-light-OK-No-running-tail-light&p=237004&viewfull=1#post237004
Cheers

bobnaquin
08-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Change your rear bulbs out every three years and avoid the hassle of your bike going into limp mode. I do not understand the logic of having a bike stop when the stop lights go out. It seems like they are taking a bad situation and making it worse.

KX5062
08-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Change your rear bulbs out every three years and avoid the hassle of your bike going into limp mode. I do not understand the logic of having a bike stop when the stop lights go out. It seems like they are taking a bad situation and making it worse.

I agree 100% :thumbup: