PDA

View Full Version : Bajaron Sway bar on RSS

Topshotta
07-24-2013, 02:22 PM
Have you installed the Bajaron sway bar on your RSS? I read on here the difference it makes on the RT, is it worth if for the RSS. I did very good on the twisties with other 2 wheel riders.
Did you have to remove the frunk to install the bar?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

rlynchtx
07-24-2013, 03:12 PM
I own a 2012 RS SM5 and didn't notice a big difference in handling after I installed Ron's bar. I did remove the frunk to install it (is easy to remove, so you should't worry about doing it) and found the instructions good and the install simple. Ron was great to deal with too. I just didn't see the huge improvement I was expecting. Might be due to super high expectations from reading all the positives on this mod, or it may be the 2012 RS was already a better handler than prior years/models.

In any event, it is a quality part, the price was fair and I enjoyed fiddling with the spyder so I'm OK with my purchase.

DrewNJ
07-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Hey Rick,
The difference in the swaybar swap is subtle.
However, What I found able to do with Ron's bar was to be able to lighten up the front shock preload adjusters a bit for a smoother ride on the rougher/more uneven roads and still maintain very good cornering ability.
Something I couldn't do with either the stock or RT shocks and stock swaybar. For good cornering with the stock swaybar I always had to crank down the preload on the shocks.
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange monster
07-24-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm very interested in this thread as well. I have read that his sway bar is an imporvement on the new 2013 RSS. Probably now where as near an imporvement that it makes on the new ST's and RT's since we already have better shocks and larger sway bar from the factory. Would be great to get input from an everyday Joe that has made the swap.

fjcady
07-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Have you installed the Bajaron sway bar on your RSS? I read on here the difference it makes on the RT, is it worth if for the RSS. I did very good on the twisties with other 2 wheel riders.
Did you have to remove the frunk to install the bar?

Thanks in advance for your feedback. installed Rons great product no more sway, no frunk removal unbolt plate on bottom an put wood wedges to space it away and remove and reinstall new bar :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Topshotta
07-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Hey Rick,
However, What I found able to do with Ron's bar was to be able to lighten up the front shock preload adjusters a bit for a smoother ride on the rougher/more uneven roads and still maintain very good cornering ability.
Something I couldn't do with either the stock or RT shocks and stock swaybar. For good cornering with the stock swaybar I always had to crank down the preload on the shocks.
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I will purchase it and when or if my fellow 2 wheel riders start leaving me in the dust on the twisties I will install it or just when I get bored.

Chupaca
07-24-2013, 05:08 PM
after installing the BajaRon sway bar (which made a big difference) I lowered the tension on the stock shocks and was fine with that. I resisted installing the pitbull re-locating blocks but heard good things. Elkas are to expensive so I went ahead and added the blocks. They made an impressive change as well. Now keep in mind our is an RS and the RSS was set up a bit better. I am sure it will help and you will see a difference. I am really pleased with the set up we have now....:ohyea:

Orange monster
07-24-2013, 06:54 PM
installed Rons great product no more sway, no frunk removal unbolt plate on bottom an put wood wedges to space it away and remove and reinstall new bar :yes::yes::yes::yes:

Fjcady do you have a 2013 RSS or a 2012 RSS or RS? We are looking for first hand experience with a 2013 RSS due to the changes they made on our bikes. New suspension geometry and larger factory sway bar.

fjcady
07-24-2013, 11:18 PM
I have a 2008 rs I like taking the turns fast if only I could slip the rear tire around a bit:yes::yes::yes::yes:

tobor9
07-24-2013, 11:54 PM
I put it on my 2011 RS and it made a BIG difference!,then added Elkas and now it is perfect:yes:It is easy to take off the Frunk and makes the job easy(wish it had been that easy to put on my wife's RT-s)It makes the :f_spider:corner like it's on rails and handle cross winds and trucks much better! Worth every penny.

PistonBlown
07-25-2013, 02:53 AM
Put a sway bar onto my RS2011 (New Zealand one made by Ken Grieve rather than the Bay-Ron one but does the same job).

Huge improvement at town speed cornering which surprised me. Highway speeds also noticeably improved cornering.

Like DrewNJ mentioned I also found I could drop the preload on my shocks to give myself a smoother ride. I'd originally had the suspension max'd on 5 to keep things level in the corners and was able to take that down to 4 while still having better cornering than before.

One thing I'm now considering is getting the shock mounting point re-locators that are supposed to move the shocks into a more upright position (like the RS2013). Has any one tried these?

Flanker
07-25-2013, 04:55 AM
Hey Rick,
Doug

Interesting...............................

steve635
07-26-2013, 11:41 AM
I have a 2012 RS, but added the Fox shocks so it is functionally identical to the RS-S. I found the difference with the sway bar dramatic. I go much quicker through curves (instinctively now) and feel more planted when passing other traffic and anytime at freeway speed. I added the shocks first and they made some difference, but for 3X the price of the swaybar, they made perhaps 1/3 the improvement. This is the first addition I would make to any Spyder!

Orange monster
07-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I have a 2012 RS, but added the Fox shocks so it is functionally identical to the RS-S. I found the difference with the sway bar dramatic. I go much quicker through curves (instinctively now) and feel more planted when passing other traffic and anytime at freeway speed. I added the shocks first and they made some difference, but for 3X the price of the swaybar, they made perhaps 1/3 the improvement. This is the first addition I would make to any Spyder!

Thats some interesting feed back there and sounds very positive. Have you done the shock relocation brackets as well? I believe the 2013 RSS had the geometry change by shock location changes compared to a 2012 and they increased the factory swaybar size. You could probably improve the handling a little more with the shock relocation brackets from what I have read on here.

BajaRon
07-27-2013, 06:04 PM
A little Sway Bar history....

Not sure what year (let's guess early 2009) Evoluzione came out with a sway bar for the GS/RS Spyder. I bought one and so did many others and they got rave reviews. When EVO went out of business (guessing again, but let's say sometime in 2011) and the supply of bars eventually ran out I started to get owners contacting me about making sway bars. A few knew that I had started a sway bar project early on but EVO was doing the same thing and they beat me to production and I didn't want to compete.

I re-started my RS, GS, RSS sway bar project in the spring of 2012 and ended up producing the current bar for the 2008-2012 RS, GS, RSS Spyders. It is stronger than the EVO bar and most are very happy with it. But I think perception has changed over time. Here is what I think has happened.

When developing the current 2010-2012 RT, RTS, RT Ltd. sway bar I decided to make it quite a bit stiffer than the OEM bar. After all, the RT really needed more help than the lighter, lower center of gravity RS, GS, RSS model. The difference is so dramatic for the Pre-2013 RT models that people purchasing the Pre-2013 RS, GS, RSS bar then started to expect the same HUGE difference that was being reported for the RT model bar. So, what used to be 'Impressive' became 'Subtle' to some owners.

Now that the 2013 sway bar projects and the Heim Joint Links are done, and understanding that 'Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder', I am considering an upgrade to the 2008-2012 RS, GS, RSS sway bar. I have been running a stiffer bar on my 08 GS for some time. It was a prototype that I thought might be too stiff for some riders. It really gives the 2008-2012 RS, GS, RSS a flat ride in the corners and is very impressive.

MrLooney
07-27-2013, 08:03 PM
I noticed a big difference between the stock A S Bar and Ron's A S Bar. However I did expect more than the improvement it showed me.

I am NOT displeased with it at all! It is a great MOD ADD for the money and well worth the investment for most people.

There are a few who would like to see a stiffer bar for the GS - RS - RS~S.

Ron my PM to you yesterday asking of the stiffer RT bar would fit my RS~S. Your reply was it is a different size, so I let it go at that.

In your post here it seems you are experimenting with a stiffer one for the GS - RS - RS~S and I for one would really like to try it out and give you my opinion when I get back to the states very soon.

Dan

coz
07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
I noticed a big difference between the stock A S Bar and Ron's A S Bar. However I did expect more than the improvement it showed me.

I am NOT displeased with it at all! It is a great MOD ADD for the money and well worth the investment for most people.

Ron my PM to you yesterday asking of the stiffer RT bar would fit my RS~S. Your reply was it is a different size, so I let it go at that.

In your post here it seems you are experimenting with a stiffer one for the GS - RS - RS~S and I for one would really like to try it out and give you my opinion when I get back to the states very soon.

Dan + 1

Topshotta
07-27-2013, 10:00 PM
A little Sway Bar history....

Not sure what year (let's guess early 2009) Evoluzione came out with a sway bar for the GS/RS Spyder. I bought one and so did many others and they got rave reviews. When EVO went out of business (guessing again, but let's say sometime in 2011) and the supply of bars eventually ran out I started to get owners contacting me about making sway bars. A few knew that I had started a sway bar project early on but EVO was doing the same thing and they beat me to production and I didn't want to compete.

I re-started my RS, GS, RSS sway bar project in the spring of 2012 and ended up producing the current bar for the 2008-2012 RS, GS, RSS Spyders. It is stronger than the EVO bar and most are very happy with it. But I think perception has changed over time. Here is what I think has happened.

When developing the current 2010-2012 RT, RTS, RT Ltd. sway bar I decided to make it quite a bit stiffer than the OEM bar. After all, the RT really needed more help than the lighter, lower center of gravity RS, GS, RSS model. The difference is so dramatic for the Pre-2013 RT models that people purchasing the Pre-2013 RS, GS, RSS bar then started to expect the same HUGE difference that was being reported for the RT model bar. So, what used to be 'Impressive' became 'Subtle' to some owners.

Now that the 2013 sway bar projects and the Heim Joint Links are done, and understanding that 'Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder', I am considering an upgrade to the 2008-2012 RS, GS, RSS sway bar. I have been running a stiffer bar on my 08 GS for some time. It was a prototype that I thought might be too stiff for some riders. It really gives the 2008-2012 RS, GS, RSS a flat ride in the corners and is very impressive.

Ron,
you can put me down for a stiffer sway bar for my RSS.

hchays
07-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I know that I just put the BajaRon bar and links on my 2013 RS and LOVE IT! It makes the ride so much better in the corners and much smoother/straighter on the highway and I find myself less fatigued. If the 08-12 rs/gs bar is anything like the 2013 rs bar I highly recommed it to anyone. Thanks again Ron....

BajaRon
07-28-2013, 06:58 AM
I know that I just put the BajaRon bar and links on my 2013 RS and LOVE IT! It makes the ride so much better in the corners and much smoother/straighter on the highway and I find myself less fatigued. If the 08-12 rs/gs bar is anything like the 2013 rs bar I highly recommed it to anyone. Thanks again Ron....

Learning from the pre-2013 RS, GS, RSS bar experience I decided to go a bit stiffer on the 2013 RS, RSS, ST, STS, ST Ltd. sway bar to keep it in the 'Impressive' category. I am now considering the same stiffness for the Pre-2013 RS, GS, RSS Spyder. Sounds like I probably need to do this.

Dan

You can get too much of a good thing. If your sway bar is too stiff it becomes dangerous. This is serious stuff! Having a better handling, more stable, more controllable Spyder is one thing. Having a Spyder that takes a Nascar driver to keep it between the lines is another.

Once the sway bar has done all it can, then you need to look to other suspension components if you would like more improvement. On the Spyder, this would mean shocks (on the Pre-2013's you can also install Pit Bull's Shock Relocators).

I will always make my sway bars with some safety 'Head Room'. I want everyone to come home with a smile on their face. I'm sure we are all glad that this is exactly the way it has been.