PDA

View Full Version : tire pressure on non OEM front tires

ICE
07-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza for the RT. What PSI is everyone running who have non OEM tires? I would like to get a good starting point. Thx

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza for the RT. What PSI is everyone running who have non OEM tires? I would like to get a good starting point. Thx

Well it depends on how many plies your new tires have....Generally speaking the more sidewall plies the stiffer the tire.....Also car tires usually have more tread plies which also helps them run flatter.....The OEM's ( fronts)with ONE ply side walls states 15 to 17 lbs.....I think a car tire would be fine at that pressure also...Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
07-23-2013, 10:46 PM
you can start at the oem pressure and then find yours. The tires have some ref's but you don't have the weight. Tire tread should be flat across, if arched up it is over inflated and center of the tire will wear faster, if sunken to low and the sides will wear faster. But some fine folks will come along and give you the pressure they are using..I still have oem tires..good luck..!! :thumbup:

SpyRyd
07-24-2013, 05:09 AM
I'm running my General Altimax 185/60R14 front tires at 20PSI. Before the General's I was running the OEM front tires at 18PSI.

Bob Denman
07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
You might want ot PM Firefly; he's been running Potenzas for a while now, and should have some good info for you! :thumbup:

chisel_maker
07-24-2013, 04:33 PM

I've been running these tires for about 2000 miles now. Set them to 20 PSI based on recomendations found here. So far I've felt no need to change. Love the tires so far.

SPYD3R
07-24-2013, 05:23 PM
1st thing you need to do once your tires have been mounted, is check to see what the pressure is at... doesn't really matter @ this time... then take a piece of regular black-board caulk and run a line across each tire... now roll your SPYD3R forward, and keep rolling until the caulk marks are again visible... look where the caulk has been removed... if you have plenty of caulk on the edges, you have too much pressure... if the the caulk remains on the middle, your psi is too low...

note, that the best way to do this, is to load your SPYD3R the way you will ride it... if the majority of your riding is with 2 on-board, with lots of luggage, that's the way you want to do the caulk test....
72422 :trike::trike::trike::trike:

Flanker
07-24-2013, 05:47 PM
you can start at the oem pressure and then find yours. The tires have some ref's but you don't have the weight. Tire tread should be flat across, if arched up it is over inflated and center of the tire will wear faster, if sunken to low and the sides will wear faster. But some fine folks will come along and give you the pressure they are using..I still have oem tires..good luck..!! :thumbup:

Excellent advice!

Cavman
07-24-2013, 10:20 PM
I have mine set at 20 psi. Really nice tires so far.

r1100rider
07-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Seems that 20 to 21 psi with auto tires is about right I've been running that for 13,000 mi now and my tires look like new I'm sure they will go 40,000 or more

NancysToy
07-25-2013, 06:21 AM
1st thing you need to do once your tires have been mounted, is check to see what the pressure is at... doesn't really matter @ this time... then take a piece of regular black-board caulk and run a line across each tire... now roll your SPYD3R forward, and keep rolling until the caulk marks are again visible... look where the caulk has been removed... if you have plenty of caulk on the edges, you have too much pressure... if the the caulk remains on the middle, your psi is too low...

note, that the best way to do this, is to load your SPYD3R the way you will ride it... if the majority of your riding is with 2 on-board, with lots of luggage, that's the way you want to do the caulk test....
72422 :trike::trike::trike::trike:
I suggest you use chalk, not caulk. Caulk, which is a sticky substance used to seal openings in buildings, would make a huge mess! Chalk, which is used to draw on blackboards (and sidewalks) is a powder. That is what you want. :D

SPYD3R
07-25-2013, 06:58 AM
I suggest you use chalk, not caulk. Caulk, which is a sticky substance used to seal openings in buildings, would make a huge mess! Chalk, which is used to draw on blackboards (and sidewalks) is a powder. That is what you want. :D

u'r right Nan.... i must have been asleep when i wrote that... duh

NancysToy
07-25-2013, 07:10 PM
u'r right Nan.... i must have been asleep when i wrote that... duh

:roflblack: Sure would have made a mess!