PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Spyder Rt ltd

AZCowboy
07-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Hey just wanted to put the word out on your oil changes. In the past year I have put on over 12,000 miles on my bike in 9 months. It sat in the shop for a month to replace the water pump (leaking oil through it). Not to go through all the other problems but I had my oil changed 3 times at two different locations. This time I wanted to get into the servicing of my bike as much as I could like I have down through the years with all my other bikes. I have to take off 9 parts before I can since I have a SE5 which has 2 oil filters. Got nice and hot then tried to drain the oil out from the engine drain plug. It was in so tight I stripped the head with the T40. I drained the oil out of the oil tank with no problem then replaced both oil filters again no problem. I thought I got all the oil out at the main filter going in with rags. I had to use a large vice grip on the lip of the oil drain plug then with a LOT of force broke it loose. I am happy that the treads in the engine were fine. When it came out I had enough oil still in the engine to cover the bottom of my oil pan. Now I don't know if this was over tighten at the factory or one of the shops. Now if this was done at the factory and as how tight it was I would say it was done at the factory why didn't either shop break it loose? Now enough oil was in there so that means there must of been a bit of dirt as well and the post that catches metal couldn't of been cleaned either. Now I am waiting a week and a half for the part and the shops wouldn't cover it. I have never had this much problems with a MC company ever. So if you don't do your own oil change better check that plug out. :spyder2: RJ

Trickie Dick
07-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Like Roger said, it is an allen M6 engine and resevior and an M5 for the filters. You might want to consider the gold plugs to replace the ones you stripped. http://www.goldplug.com/ .

AZCowboy
07-24-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey thanks for the help with the drain plug on my spyder. The oil tank plug came our easy and after talking to you I checked the plug and you were right it wasn't a T40. I tried the correct tool but didn't fit. The plug was messed up like someone didn't put the tool all the way in. Well I am glad you told me of the Gold Plug I order one for the engine and another for the oil tank with spare washers. Those plugs will make it much easier. Thanks again. :spyder2: RJ

Trickie Dick
07-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Hey thanks for the help with the drain plug on my spyder. The oil tank plug came our easy and after talking to you I checked the plug and you were right it wasn't a T40. I tried the correct tool but didn't fit. The plug was messed up like someone didn't put the tool all the way in. Well I am glad you told me of the Gold Plug I order one for the engine and another for the oil tank with spare washers. Those plugs will make it much easier. Thanks again. :spyder2: RJ

When this happened to me, I lightly tapped the correct allen into the socket and seated it. It then came out. May not work but you can't mess it up any more than is it.

Jim&Teresa
07-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Please look at this link: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55627-First-Oil-Change-RT-Limited&referrerid=12858

jwmcclellan
07-28-2013, 06:51 AM
Gold plugs are mentioned here. I went to their website trying to find the plugs for my 2012 RT Limited. The website has RT and RTS listed, with a 990cc engine. Is there a difference between my 998cc and the 990cc plugs? Which ones would I get, the ones for the RT, or RTS? Thanks.

Trickie Dick
07-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Gold plugs are mentioned here. I went to their website trying to find the plugs for my 2012 RT Limited. The website has RT and RTS listed, with a 990cc engine. Is there a difference between my 998cc and the 990cc plugs? Which ones would I get, the ones for the RT, or RTS? Thanks.

They are the same. Just a different size for the engine and for the oil tank. The 990 is same a 998cc.