PDA

View Full Version : BRP factory Backrest with Brake light

ALIEN
06-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Has anyone tried to install an additional LED brake light onto the BRP Backrest?
I think the higher up the brake lights are, the easier you'll be seen by other behind you.
I would like to try this, but I'm electrically challenged any ideas?

NancysToy
06-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Has anyone tried to install an additional LED brake light onto the BRP Backrest?
I think the higher up the brake lights are, the easier you'll be seen by other behind you.
I would like to try this, but I'm electrically challenged any ideas?

I think you could do this easily with Hyper-Lites, they just stick on anywhere. You would have to rig some quick disconnects for the wiring, though, so if you removed the backrest, you could disconnect the lights and tuck the wires into the smugglers trunk. That's about all they will hold anyway. ;D
-Scotty

ALIEN
06-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Thanks Scotty, what are Hyper lights and where do you get them? Maybe I can run the wires inside the backrest frame if its hallow.

NancysToy
06-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks Scotty, what are Hyper lights and where do you get them? Maybe I can run the wires inside the backrest frame if its hallow.

Hyper-Lites are an add-on accessory LED brake, or brake/running light. Lots of the BMW crowd use them.
http://www.hyperlites.com/
I have a poor, but explanational video of them on Nancy's Spyder here.
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.
-Scotty

Derwin
06-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Scotty, I just checked-out your video. Wow! Those are really nice looking lights. I don't think you have to worry about anybody not seeing you at night! :bigthumbsup:

Derwin

NancysToy
06-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Scotty, I just checked-out your video. Wow! Those are really nice looking lights. I don't think you have to worry about anybody not seeing you at night! :bigthumbsup:

Derwin

Thanks Derwin. The lights really help in the daytime, too. The flashing brake helps get attention, too, although I may snip the wire to make them flash only a few seconds then come on solid. In California, they can't continue to flash. The visibility doesn't show as well as it could on the video, because I had to stand to the side because of glare. When I am riding behind my wife, though, they really stand out, and are brighter than the stock taillights. Still thinking of adding the Triple Play for even more visibility, although I like the amber turn signals, and am not sure I want to change them to red. Still haven't figured why BRP made that blob on the fender just a license plate light and reflector. It seems easier for it to be a red lens, and another taillight/brakelight. Just one piece of plastic then. More wiring, though. It would also have looked a lot like their "Y" logo when viewed from behind.
-Scotty

ALIEN
06-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Your right, that was a great job ,I can't wait for my Spyder

bjt
06-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Still thinking of adding the Triple Play for even more visibility, although I like the amber turn signals, and am not sure I want to change them to red.

I bet Magic Man has the Genesis puck in amber for the rear turn signals. dltang got amber LEDs from him for her running lights.

Magic Man
06-23-2008, 07:47 AM
I bet Magic Man has the Genesis puck in amber for the rear turn signals. dltang got amber LEDs from him for her running lights.

We make the High Output Genesis LED turn signals in both red and amber puck designs.

However, if you want to have them run as an additional tail light and brake light like when using the Triple Play unit, then they HAVE to be red.

Reason is, it is illegal in all 50 States to run amber brake lights or tail lights as these must be red.

However, if you just want to just upgrade your turn signals you can use the amber High Output Genesis LEDs for that application.

We make a turn signal upgrade kit just for that purpose. It is available in ether amber or red, your choice.

MM