PDA

View Full Version : RS parking brake adjustment

DriftersWay
07-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Does anyone else have an issue with the parking brake not holding adjustment? I have adjusted the parking brake several times and within a few days it will not hold the Spyder from rolling with the brake set. I have adjusted it several different ways with no success. The factory calls for the back wheel jacked off the ground, adjustment made with the 12mm wrench on the adjusting and locking nuts. Factory base setting in tighten the adjuster until the wheel will not turn, then back it off 4 full turns. I have tried that with no luck, I have adjusted it until the brake pedal only drops 4 to 5 clicks, still won't stay in adjustment. I even removed the adjustment lever on the rear shaft and moved it one spline and adjusted the nuts again. All the adjustments last about one week. Is this a common occurance?http://pennsylvaniaspyderryders.org/forum/Smileys/default/huh.gif I have ordered a new brake cable, thinking the old cable has stretched. Does anyone have an idea??

NancysToy
07-22-2013, 07:23 PM
The brake should set with 2-3 clicks of the pedal. No need to jack up the Spyder, etc., just adjust until it grabs where you want it to. The parking brake does change adjustment quite rapidly, but yours is way beyond normal. It also should hold the Spyder if set, even at 4-5 clicks. As long as it can be set tightly without activating the release mechanism, it should hold reasonably well. The problem could be with worn brake pads, a caliper problem, dirt/debris build-up, failure to release fully, etc. If you can't get it adjusted, it doesn't hold well, or it changes adjustment rapidly (providing it is releasing properly), I'd recommend having a dealer look at it. Given what you have said, I'd also inspect the rear brake pads for wear. At 1 mm (slightly less than the thickness of a dime, they should be replaced. If the parking brake does not release fully, they can wear fast and the brake adjustment will change rapidly.

Flanker
07-23-2013, 10:19 PM
No problems so far!

Chupaca
07-23-2013, 11:09 PM
have to agree with Scotty that its not normal the fact it won't hold the adjustment. If you followed all the right procedures it should hold and hold for some time. Even if the pads are worn it should hold. Seems there might be something else going on. Do check the pads and run it by the dealer and have them have a look. Good luck..!! :thumbup:

groundeffect
08-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Never had an issue with the parking brake holding position/setting. I use it a good bit, a few hills here in St. John's, and only ever have to adjust when pads wear down or when a new cable is installed and stretches slightly.

Check assemblies at each cable end to ensure security.

Silvervette05
09-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Go to the DIY or How to step by step forum, it has a film to show you how to do the brake adj, the film works because I used it with no issues

Kmort44
09-27-2013, 08:22 PM
I'm only going to throw this out there because it happened to my 2009 GS. The locking nut that holds the cable clamp to the back hub assembly came off and my parking brake would not set, I ended up getting a new nut with some lock-tite and problem solved.

MikeinGA
09-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Does anyone else have an issue with the parking brake not holding adjustment? I have adjusted the parking brake several times and within a few days it will not hold the Spyder from rolling with the brake set. I have adjusted it several different ways with no success. The factory calls for the back wheel jacked off the ground, adjustment made with the 12mm wrench on the adjusting and locking nuts. Factory base setting in tighten the adjuster until the wheel will not turn, then back it off 4 full turns. I have tried that with no luck, I have adjusted it until the brake pedal only drops 4 to 5 clicks, still won't stay in adjustment. I even removed the adjustment lever on the rear shaft and moved it one spline and adjusted the nuts again. All the adjustments last about one week. Is this a common occurance?http://pennsylvaniaspyderryders.org/forum/Smileys/default/huh.gif I have ordered a new brake cable, thinking the old cable has stretched. Does anyone have an idea??It can be a few things that can cause this. The can be the cable is dry, get a cable lube kit and lube the cable or the rear brake needs a major adjustment as shown in the repair & maintenance manual or the brake caliper piston and pads or sticking or the major brake adjustment was done wrong or the brake adjustment spline is worn and slipping or the pads are worn or the adjustments nuts are not locked tight or the brake piston shaft needs to be cleaned and lubed with bake grease I always clean lube the brake and lube the cable when I do my yearly maintenance. That's IMHO.Mike

Silvervette05
10-05-2013, 04:41 PM
I did an adj about 4 mths ago, and it's need again (it does not hold at all) MY Fault I ran it about a mile with parking brake on 3 weeks ago. :banghead:

ARtraveler
10-05-2013, 06:40 PM
The parking brake pedal was one of my least favorite things on the GS and RS models. I had the manual clutch on my 2008 so never used it--just left it in gear when parking.

The 2009 RS was a different situation. When it was working well, it was adjusted to go 2 or 3 clicks. The problem we ran into was that the spouse would overstep the 3 clicks, stretch the cable, and then it would need adjustment again. It also got messed up when she tried to drive it without releasing the parking brake. After a couple times at the dealer ($50) or so to fix it--I became good at adjusting the brake.

The suggestion to look up the video is a good one.

MikeinGA
10-05-2013, 07:11 PM
I did an adj about 4 mths ago, and it's need again (it does not hold at all) MY Fault I ran it about a mile with parking brake on 3 weeks ago. :banghead:

The parking brake pedal was one of my least favorite things on the GS and RS models. I had the manual clutch on my 2008 so never used it--just left it in gear when parking.

The 2009 RS was a different situation. When it was working well, it was adjusted to go 2 or 3 clicks. The problem we ran into was that the spouse would overstep the 3 clicks, stretch the cable, and then it would need adjustment again. It also got messed up when she tried to drive it without releasing the parking brake. After a couple times at the dealer ($50) or so to fix it--I became good at adjusting the brake.

The suggestion to look up the video is a good one.

I did that and trained myself to look at gauges and make the parking brake light is not flashing before I put it in gear. In bright light it sometimes hard to see.

Mike

lawson001
11-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Click out YouTube, there are several videos that go through step be step much clearer than the owner's manual. I adjusted mine once last year and haven't had to touch it since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

bobnaquin
11-19-2013, 10:08 AM
Go to the DIY or How to step by step forum, it has a film to show you how to do the brake adj, the film works because I used it with no issues

Ditto on this. I adjusted mine often and wrong until I read the DIY section on this. When done correctly it will hold up for months if not years. This has been a bother on the RS since its inception.