PDA

View Full Version : Wanting better suspension advice

Pappazippy
07-22-2013, 04:21 PM
I have a 2010 Spyder RT with almost 20k miles. I think it is time to get replacement front shocks and springs. I have ordered a new sway bar (thanks Bajaron) but I'm afraid that the old OEM shocks and springs just won't do the new sway bar justice. I fall into the XXL size being 6'0" and ummm 290lbs. Any of the "experts" care to chime in and suggest a good set of shocks/modifications I can purchase to add stability and control? Yes I know fewer pizzas would help but changing parts is easier than turning down a few slices. :)

What is the best method of jacking the front up for replacing suspension parts?

Bob Denman
07-22-2013, 04:30 PM
I don't know about aftermarket springs... :opps:
But the Elka shocks for the RTs come pretty well set up, and are very easy to adjust for your personal taste...
Contact Trooper for more info about them.

Chupaca
07-22-2013, 05:17 PM
:agree: if it's suspension. Try the sway bar then see if you move on to the shocks. I did the bar then the re-locators and am pretty happy right there. Next would have been the shocks...elkas are highest rated..:ohyea:

SpyderAnn01
07-22-2013, 05:36 PM
Definitely get the BajaRon sway bar and if you can find someone selling their 2011 or 2012 RT shocks you can save a bunch of money and get a great ride.

captblack
07-22-2013, 06:30 PM
On my 2011 RT I got Elkas first (front and rear) and I had them set up for extra weight and an average ride (vice aggressive). Great improvement in handling and worth the cost, in my opinion. I know some folks only get the front shocks but I think you should get all three, then use your air bag to adjust the ride if you are 2 up. About 6 months ago I added the sway bar and now I am quite pleased with the ride and handling. I'm 6', 300 lbs so I think the results will be similar for you. I also run 20 lbs in the front tires and 30 in the rear and the combination gives me a great ride - if I am here on the Georgia coastal roads or if I go play in the mountains.

Pappazippy
07-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the valuable advice! Great people here for sure :thumbup: I ordered up a BajaRon sway bar and I'm going to get a full set of the Elka stage 1+R shocks. I hope it all comes with instructions. I'm a pretty good mechanic but with no experience with a Spyder I err towards caution. We shall see what happens in about a week.

Netminder
07-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Pretty sure you will love the Elka stage 1+R. :thumbup::thumbup:

wyliec
07-22-2013, 07:47 PM
BajaRon sway bar and bag the pizzas.