PDA

View Full Version : First Oil Change - RT Limited

Jim&Teresa
07-22-2013, 08:08 AM
Hello spyderlover friends,

I completed my first oil change and thanks to many of you on this forum, it made it much easier. For newbee's, here's a few things that made it easier for me:

1. I used the standard drainplugs on the unit. Be sure to get an allen socket wrench to totally engage these plugs -- I had no problem. Also when re-installing, use your Torque Wrench - very important!
2. When changing the oil, I had a small mortar/concrete mixing tub (18" x 24" New and cleaned up easily) that I placed under the bike (bike was on wheel ramps). That covers the whole area you need to worry about oil coming out. It worked great as I could use it for both drain plugs and filters.
3. I took the advice from this forum as I used a 1" clear plastic hose on the oil tank plug. The hose was about 2" long, just enough to get it through the bottom plate so the oil did not get on it. Worked fantastic.....recomment this to others. Allen socket and extension fit through tube and pulled drain plug and let the oil drain. Quickly pull your allen wrench socket with drain plug out -- I had to wipe off the plug, socket, and extension, but it made a clean job of it. You can get the hose at your local ACE hardware by the foot vs. buying 20' of it at the big box stores. Here's where I got the idea for the hose: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?32576-Oil-change-spills&referrerid=12858
4. I did place (tuck in)paper towels in the back filter's fin area. It helped not to get oil in the fins when changing this filter.
5. By the way, I had bought on-line (ebay) the BRP oil change kit that comes with 5 quarts of oil, filters, o rings, and the two crush washers. I think is was around $66 total with free shipping.

I know there maybe other tricks to the oil change, but this worked well for me and hope it helps the first timers with their changes -- you can save a ton of money by doing it yourself. I took my time and it worked out well. Don't be in a hurry when doing this as it takes time to remove the tupperware and replace it when done.

SpyRyd
07-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Another trick or tip is to mark the tranny filter and bolts with a permanent marker. These bolts are a different length then the motor oil filter bolts and mixing them up could be a big problem.

Chupaca
07-22-2013, 09:50 AM
great re-cap on oil change and I'm sure this will help those thinking about doing it themselves. Thanks..!! :thumbup:

Jim&Teresa
07-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Another trick or tip is to mark the tranny filter and bolts with a permanent marker. These bolts are a different length then the motor oil filter bolts and mixing them up could be a big problem.

Great Idea!! I did one filter at a time so I would not mix them up...however, I like your idea better !!

Thanks! :2thumbs:

Highwayman2013
07-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Just did my second oil change and got the longer trans filter and cap in the BRP kit. It's a lot easier with some experience.

AbNormy
07-22-2013, 01:41 PM
:thumbup::thumbup:

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!

Spyder4Tess
07-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Did my first change yesterday.Really would have been a PITA if it was not for the panel removal videos here!

No problem mixing up the cover bolts up if done one at a time.