PDA

View Full Version : Trailer loading problems

Questions
07-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Hello, my wife bought a 2012 RS in April. However I own 2 different types of trailers from the same trailer company and I cannot load it in either due to the low ride height. Is anyone else having to add extra ramp length to load their Spyder? What trailers would you suggest?

3 wheeler
07-21-2013, 09:34 PM
This is what I bought to tilt my trailer to the proper angle so I didn't have to buy longer ramps.

http://www.tiltahitch.com/

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Tried to back up it first?

ABQAndy
07-21-2013, 11:04 PM
I have a Haulmark low profile motorcycle trailer (enclosed) with the ramp door and have no problem loading my RT.

SpyderAnn01
07-21-2013, 11:15 PM
The nose is really low on the RT and many people have had the same problem as you. If you try searching you should probably find some old posts about how others overcame the problem. You may have to wade through a few pages of irrelevant info but I know that this has been talked about in the past. Good luck, I hope you figure out an easy solution. And welcome to spyderlovers.com

bikeguy
07-21-2013, 11:33 PM
A couple of 2x6's about 24 inches long temporarily attached to the end of the loading ramp will probably give you the needed clearance. My loading ramp is expanded metal so I simply use a pin through each 2x6 and a hole in the expanded metal to attach them. If I was smart enough to post a picture, I would. Bottom line is, I bet you don't need to spend the money to buy a new trailer. Cotton

Questions
07-22-2013, 05:57 AM
Backing up on the trailers the nose hits.

captblack
07-22-2013, 06:12 AM
A couple of 2x6's about 24 inches long temporarily attached to the end of the loading ramp will probably give you the needed clearance. My loading ramp is expanded metal so I simply use a pin through each 2x6 and a hole in the expanded metal to attach them. If I was smart enough to post a picture, I would. Bottom line is, I bet you don't need to spend the money to buy a new trailer. Cotton

I do this as well - 2 x 6's are 3 ft. long and I even got some ends for them which makes the transition smooth. The bold through about 10" from one end ensures they stay in place. Caution, don't haul your bike backwards unless you remove the windshield.

Bob Denman
07-22-2013, 06:48 AM
A couple of 2x6's about 24 inches long temporarily attached to the end of the loading ramp will probably give you the needed clearance. Cotton

:agree: Sometimes the simplist solutions can get overlooked. :thumbup:

Spyder4Tess
07-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Another option is to raise the front of the trailer which will lower/level out the ramp.

NancysToy
07-22-2013, 07:53 AM
Lots of solutions...

Extended wooden or metal ramps
Back up to a hill
Prop up the ramps with a 2x6 or 2x8 (or a curb)
Jack up the tongue jack to raise the front of the trailer (still attached to the tow vehicle)
Lower the rear suspension setting to raise the front before loading
Increase the front spring preload setting (or install Elka shocks)

Although it will lower the front of the Spyder a bit more, I would also suggest installing a SpyderPops BumpSkid to protect the bodywork.

Questions
07-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I have tried that also.

schnauzermom
07-22-2013, 10:37 AM
72309This is what we use, loads right over your trailer ramp.....the middle tire tracks in between.

Chupaca
07-22-2013, 10:48 AM
Several solutions... seems the best, as to not have more loose boards to forget or disappear, is the "Tiltahitch" don't have to change or add another trailer to your barn..good luck..!! :gaah:

ARCTIC
07-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Drive at the ramp at an angle so the front tire hits first. Not too tough

Gsmoth9504
07-22-2013, 11:06 AM
If you are not in an area of high traffic, try backing your trailer wheels into an indentation of a driveway. The drain/gutter area to the street is lower than the road surface, so the ramp is not at such a high angle. Works for me...

spydaman60
07-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I do this as well - 2 x 6's are 3 ft. long and I even got some ends for them which makes the transition smooth. The bold through about 10" from one end ensures they stay in place. Caution, don't haul your bike backwards unless you remove the windshield. i did about the same thing with a couple of 40" long 2x8's and cut 22 1/2 degree angles in opposite directions on the top and bottom on both ends. works slick!!!:thumbup:

willey
07-22-2013, 12:01 PM
gosh,I thought Harley riders were the only ones that needed a trailer.lol I have been riding with Harley riders for about the last 8 years.When I need a tow I just call AAA and ask for a rollback and that has happened a few times.You just never know when or where.

3whlLefty
07-22-2013, 12:53 PM
If you are not in an area of high traffic, try backing your trailer wheels into an indentation of a driveway. The drain/gutter area to the street is lower than the road surface, so the ramp is not at such a high angle. Works for me...

I put the trailer wheels in a dip too. I also have 2 2 x 6's nailed together with a slant cut on one end, a mini ramp of sorts. I back the tow vehicle wheels up on those to give the trailer a flatter ramp angle. It helps too.

Questions
07-22-2013, 02:52 PM
I decided on an Aluma Trailer. It is very light weight, I can move it by hand even when bike is on it. To drive on and off with out problems the dealer added the two fold out panels shown on the bottom. It works great and looks good.72321

ButchD
07-22-2013, 04:46 PM
I decided on an Aluma Trailer. It is very light weight, I can move it by hand even when bike is on it. To drive on and off with out problems the dealer added the two fold out panels shown on the bottom. It works great and looks good.72321

Have a drop tail that works great. Back platform is hydrolic, easy on the old man. Check video out at www.droptail.com (http://www.droptail.com) Good luck.

Ronbo
07-22-2013, 04:48 PM
I have a Haulmark low profile motorcycle trailer (enclosed) with the ramp door and have no problem loading my RT.

Ditto. 2013 RT LTD

Stharbor99
07-22-2013, 05:18 PM
We had a new all Alum like landscape trailer made for our 2012 RTL !! When we got it home same thing, couldn't drive it on :( we did go to another trailer dealer and have them make an add on piece. But until that was made we also made two 2x4 and laid them on the end of the ramp and the bike went right up without any trouble. We also did the motorcycle ramps to get it on the trailer for a while? But you need to be exact to ride it up on that way made me to nervous!

YIRYDE
07-22-2013, 05:38 PM

Greenrider

Can you let me know which model Aluma trailer you have and the dealer that you purchased it from. I don't know if you remember me but we met on the Skyline drive ride last year.

cjackg
07-22-2013, 05:52 PM

That is a very nice mod to the Aluma... I have the Aluma 6810 and usually have no problem but do carry a couple of short pcs of 2x6 to use if needed.

ARCTIC
07-22-2013, 08:06 PM
That is a very nice mod to the Aluma... I have the Aluma 6810 and usually have no problem but do carry a couple of short pcs of 2x6 to use if needed.
X2!!! I have an Aluma also and that's a nice setup

kawakii
07-22-2013, 11:52 PM
We have an ultimate trailer that lowers I self to ground level so you can drive up, the raises to normal height to tow with.

Questions
07-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Both of my trailers are aluminum. I think I need to get a lower deck height trailer after looking at this.

Questions
07-23-2013, 06:23 AM
Thank you for all the information, I'm still up in the air with what to do. I may just build a longer ramp for my open trailer. For my enclosed I will build some extensions.

NancysToy
07-23-2013, 07:32 AM
Both of my trailers are aluminum. I think I need to get a lower deck height trailer after looking at this.

Thank you for all the information, I'm still up in the air with what to do. I may just build a longer ramp for my open trailer. For my enclosed I will build some extensions.

To load a low vehicle without extra ramps or ramp extensions, either the trailer needs to be lower, the ramps longer, or the front of the trailer lifted. Permanent ramp extensions are certainly one answer. So are temporary ramp additions or folding ramp sections. With the dragster, we used to have the same problems. We fabricated tongue jack extensions to allow us to raise the front higher (about four feet). You also need rear stabilizers if the front is unhitched when loading. For a Spyder, a few cranks while still attached to the tow vehicle is generally sufficient. Sometimes just a slightly taller hitch will do the job. There are a variety of offset hitches available if you have a receiver hitch. When buying an enclosed trailer, I'd recommend the tall version. The lowboys almost always have loading problems with Spyders. You can replace the hinged "gap flap" with a longer one, though, and lower the door onto a 2x4 or some blocks to ease the loading angle.

Bike-O-Din
07-23-2013, 08:00 AM
I know you do not want to buy another trailer, but.... This is what I got for my Spyder RT. Made by Baxley Trailers. This thing is so stable that you can put the bike on and off WITHOUT BEING HOOKED TO THE TOW VEHICLE. It is truly amazing. If the thing would fit in my garage, I would just park the bike on it and leave it there as the manufacturer suggested. I have used it for several trips, and it just trails like a dream, and I can have the bike either on or off it in under 10 minutes.

bzbaeren
07-23-2013, 08:14 AM
I do the same thing and it works great

DrewNJ
07-23-2013, 08:25 AM
All we did was cut off about 6"-8" from the center ramp to make it a bit shorter/steeper. Nose clears fine on our RS...;)

TOPDOGJIM
07-23-2013, 09:36 AM
After looking at many toy haulers for the Spyder, I finally found one that would fit. A little tight on both sides but it fit. My first attempt at loading it on, it hit bottom. I jacked up the front jacks and lowered the back (electronic) and have had no problems since. We do through a commercial grade carpet where the door meets the entrance and I do a little lifting of my weight to be safe.

boomboom1
07-23-2013, 01:36 PM
Check this out for easy loading and unloading....... www.the-ultimate-trailers.com (http://www.the-ultimate-trailers.com) Have used mine twice on long trips and getting ready for a 4,500 mile trip to Montana and back. I get 21 MPG in my Lexus towing this trailer.:rolleyes:

Questions
07-24-2013, 06:14 PM
Greenrider

Can you let me know which model Aluma trailer you have and the dealer that you purchased it from. I don't know if you remember me but we met on the Skyline drive ride last year.

It is a 6410 BT with a folding Gate. We got it ar Trailer Town in Ruckersvill VA, just around the corner from Ruckersville Motor Sports. RMS is sponsoring a ride this week end with a free lunch after the ride.

r1100rider
07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Hello, my wife bought a 2012 RS in April. However I own 2 different types of trailers from the same trailer company and I cannot load it in either due to the low ride height. Is anyone else having to add extra ramp length to load their Spyder? What trailers would you suggest?
Cut some ramp blocks and back up the tow vehicle on them I used some atv ramps for lifted trucks about 9 ft long they fold spyders won't back up hardly anything no traction if you load backwards I have gotten way with a bungee pulled hard over my windshield at top for support

Cavman
07-24-2013, 10:36 PM
I have the Alumna TK-1 trailer. It was OK to load until I added the Bumpskid on the Spyder. I have two thin boards that I put on the sides and bottom of the ramp to get the Bumpskid to clear the cross beam on the ramp going on and off the trailer.

Gsmoth9504
08-05-2013, 08:03 PM
I love my Aluma 6810. I pulled it from Indiana to Arizona w/my new 2013 RT Limited. I have added wheel chocks and I use a 2x12 for an added ramp entry. The 6810 allows great viewing of the trailer behind the vehicle.

Barry55
08-05-2021, 02:50 PM

I just read your post about the fold out panels on your Aluma trailer. If you still own the trailer can you tell me what size it is? Thanks

Mikey
08-05-2021, 04:25 PM
I just read your post about the fold out panels on your Aluma trailer. If you still own the trailer can you tell me what size it is? Thanks

You may want to pm him!!!! The post was posted in 2013!!!

Owatonnaspyder
08-05-2021, 07:50 PM
Try to drive onto the trailer from an angle. That is what I do in my toy hauler. If you get one tire on the ramp then the nose has more clearance. There is no way I would be able tto load mine without doing it this way without hitting. Do the reverse when unloading, turn the handle bars and have one front tire go off the ramp before the other. Works great for me!