PDA

View Full Version : My rockstardom bubble was shattered today.

DR Buck
07-21-2013, 08:01 PM
This morning the wife and I stopped at this little out of the way restaurant in western Maryland for breakfast. When we walked in I picked a place to sit so I could see the Spyder out of the window. After all we were in a strange place and didn't know what might happen to an un-attended Spyder. nojoke

By the time I had sat down I could see there was a small crowd gathered around the Spyder. There wasn't any touching, just a lot of looking and pointing and walking all around it. They were all 'mature' adults, so I wasn't real concerned. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/wheelchair.gif When the crowd dispersed and came into the restaurant I noticed the 6 people sitting at the table across the room were all staring out the window at the Spyder. :dontknow:

When the waitress came over with our coffee and menus the first words out of her mouth were "is that your motorcycle thing out front? It's really nice looking." http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/food3.gif After she walked away I glanced up and there were a couple more outside checking out the Spyder! :yikes:

During the course of ordering and eating breakfast I had 3 people come over and ask about the Spyder. Things like, where did you buy it?, Is there any dealers around here? How does it handle? Is it fun? Yada.... yada.... yada...... http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/sketti.gif

Then it hit me hard. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/dizzy2.gif I'm not a rock star when I'm on the Spyder. I'm just the driver and maintainer. The Spyder is the Rock Star and it doesn't need me. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/spidereekA.gif

Oldmanzues
07-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Tis True, Tis is. Me too
Oldmanzues

wolphspyder
07-21-2013, 09:04 PM
yes, the Spyders do seem to draw a crowd...everytime my wife and I go for a ride, there are some curious people who gather around. They like both my wife's RT and my STS and always ask a lot of questions and ask if they are fun to ride, so yes they are the rock stars:clap::clap::thumbup:

CurtG
07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Try ridding in the company of a Ural. Wife's ride usually attracts most of the attention at stops.

Ride safe,

Bob Denman
07-22-2013, 04:42 PM
:shocked: That's not true :shocked:...
You ARE needed!
Who else is gonna buy it the fuel that it needs, and then take it to where all of it's fans are? :D
You're actually the driver of the bus!

Chupaca
07-22-2013, 05:00 PM
You are a rock star by association...you own the rock star and it goes home with you..!! :roflblack:

beanoil
07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
You are the rock star, your Spyder is the instrument you play. Stevie Wonder had his Moog, Ace Frehley had his Les Paul Smoker, Ty Tabor has his Yamaha RGX-TT. Frankly, I'm happy when people stare, and especially when they ask questions. I was at the local grocery last week when an elderly lady noticed me pull in on the Spyder as she was leaving the store. "That's a really nice machine young man.." (I'm 53 to put things in perspective.) Thank you Maam, How about you and I take a ride?" She looked at me, at the Spyder, and back at me... "Oh no I don't think so, but 20 years ago, maybe..." Yep, it's an attention getter for sure.

reverendg
07-22-2013, 06:29 PM
All you'll ever be's a rock star's road hand.

Oldmanzues
07-22-2013, 06:37 PM
Try ridding in the company of a Ural. Wife's ride usually attracts most of the attention at stops.

Ride safe,
Respect for Senior Ctizens ???????????????

the Ural, not your Wife.
"Crusing the Berg" bike party in Miamiabugs, Ohio the other day. I saw 5 Urals and 5 Spyders and a "million" HD. This littl buch drew lots of attention. I was parked next to a pair of purple and white HD's. Same paint, but contrasting locations i. e. white tank side on one, purple tank side on the other. Kind of non stop questions for the three of us. I left when the loud pipes contest began. Loudest one wins.
Oldmanzues

piedmontrider
07-22-2013, 08:25 PM
DR-

I realized the same thing when I entered my RT Limited in the Car & Bike Show on July 4 here in my little town. (First Place in my class, BTW)
Everyone came by and checked out the Spyder, asking every possible question. And then it hit me, I'm just the driver, I'm just the guy that gets to ride this beast!

Doug

Topshotta
07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I find myself having to wave back at people driving through neighborhoods, I know if I was just walking by, no :ani29: then I would have been invisible

billrob71
07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
It is funny, I've had alot of people ask about it, take pictures of it, where did you get it the same line of questions and one Harley guy at my work that tries to belittle it every chance he can but has called some of his Harley friends to come and see it. I think he has Spyder envy :roflblack:.:D

Its all good while your stopped but stopped at the red lights is a little more of a pita, conversation is always half to be cut short.

JJW SpyderRider
07-22-2013, 08:58 PM
When people want to take a photo of the Spyder they ask to step aside :dontknow:. I know the real Rock Star is the :f_spider:.

bruiser
07-22-2013, 09:09 PM
Just came back from Hanover PA. this evening. Where in Western Maryland were you??? Saw three Spyders over the weekend. Saw a Lava Bronze RTL Friday on I95 near Rocky Mount, NC. Saw another RT Friday on US 15 just north of Frederick Md. and this evening saw a white RT northbound on I95 near Emporia Va.

ARCTIC
07-22-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm from a small town and not only have I had to explain to the general population all the intricate details about the spyder but now I get notified anytime anyone sees one anywhere. :roflblack:

DR Buck
07-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Just came back from Hanover PA. this evening. Where in Western Maryland were you??? Saw three Spyders over the weekend. Saw a Lava Bronze RTL Friday on I95 near Rocky Mount, NC. Saw another RT Friday on US 15 just north of Frederick Md. and this evening saw a white RT northbound on I95 near Emporia Va.

We were way west, in that part that is really West Virgina but they won't admit it. :roflblack: I saw your other post. You will NEVER see me on 95 or 495 around DC. I live in Northern VA and what you described is routine traffic.

Spyder ri
12-01-2013, 09:06 AM
I went for a ride with my buddy a couple of weeks ago, pulled into a Dunkin Donuts and there were about 6 Harley's in the parking lot. We went in, had a coffee and as we were pulling out, I looked inside and it was like a bunch of mice peering out the window at us. It was too funny!

Bob Denman
12-01-2013, 09:42 AM
:2thumbs:

Bob Ledford
12-01-2013, 01:50 PM
This morning the wife and I stopped at this little out of the way restaurant in western Maryland for breakfast. When we walked in I picked a place to sit so I could see the Spyder out of the window. After all we were in a strange place and didn't know what might happen to an un-attended Spyder. nojoke

By the time I had sat down I could see there was a small crowd gathered around the Spyder. There wasn't any touching, just a lot of looking and pointing and walking all around it. They were all 'mature' adults, so I wasn't real concerned. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/wheelchair.gif When the crowd dispersed and came into the restaurant I noticed the 6 people sitting at the table across the room were all staring out the window at the Spyder. :dontknow:

When the waitress came over with our coffee and menus the first words out of her mouth were "is that your motorcycle thing out front? It's really nice looking." http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/food3.gif After she walked away I glanced up and there were a couple more outside checking out the Spyder! :yikes:

During the course of ordering and eating breakfast I had 3 people come over and ask about the Spyder. Things like, where did you buy it?, Is there any dealers around here? How does it handle? Is it fun? Yada.... yada.... yada...... http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/sketti.gif

Then it hit me hard. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/dizzy2.gif I'm not a rock star when I'm on the Spyder. I'm just the driver and maintainer. The Spyder is the Rock Star and it doesn't need me. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/spidereekA.gif

It is putty ruff on the ole ego to be the owner of a good looking Spyder isn't Dave?

We suffer the same thing whenever we go any place. The other day I was out riding and I had a vehicle following me right into a parking lot. As I was taking the gear off he approached and said, "Excuse me, but I have to ask you a couple of questions, what is it, how do you like it and where did you get it?" I answered his questions and told him just park your car and go through that door over there and ask for Jim Mitchell. I was in the parking lot of Daytona Fun Machines.

He apparently had followed me three miles intent on getting his answers. Then I discovered that I was not paying attention to what I was doing and had laid my ignition key in the frunk top lip and you guessed right slammed it shut. Thank goodness my significant other was at home and came to my rescue shortly there after or I would have been stuck eating doughnuts and drinking coffee all morning.

i am not sure yet but I think he did buy a Spyder RTL off the floor as Jim told me one of the leads I directed his way had bite the bullet.

Bob Ledford
12-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Get the same thing anywhere I give even to the extent of people following me into the place I bought it from. I answer their questions. Then I had them my favorite salesman's business card and one of those neat card brochures from BRP in the new owners welcome package.

spydaman60
12-01-2013, 02:27 PM
miley cyrus and paris hilton sitting in the same restaurant (both having just driven in on their spyder) now who's the rock star? do you think anyone would ask either of them how it rides? I think not!!!:roflblack::roflblack: