PDA

View Full Version : Glympse vs. Spot Tracker

murphybrown
07-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Hello all my wise/wonderful fellow spyderlovers. See that Lamont used an app called Glympse on his most recent journey North....anyone know how that compares to using the Spot Tracker? I use the Spot but it would be nice to be able to use my iphone to accomplish same...my friends/family able to track my journey on Ms Spyder. Thanks so much.:bowdown:

Illinois Boy
07-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Your spot tracker allows you to have others sign-in to view your trip as well... I do it all the time on rides. You can even link it to Facebook and such, if you care to even do that (I would not use FB for this, myself. That just seems to scream, "come rob my house while I am gone".).

One advantage the spot tracker has over phones is it uses satellites rather than cell service; which is considerably better. Not to mention the SOS feature, if you should ever find yourself in trouble.

Wiredux
07-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I would hate to see the data usage from the cell phone using the app. Maybe something ill have to test one of these days.

KeithInAurora
07-21-2013, 10:36 PM
Your spot tracker allows you to have others sign-in to view your trip as well... I do it all the time on rides. You can even link it to Facebook and such, if you care to even do that (I would not use FB for this, myself. That just seems to scream, "come rob my house while I am gone".).

One advantage the spot tracker has over phones is it uses satellites rather than cell service; which is considerably better. Not to mention the SOS feature, if you should ever find yourself in trouble.

What is Spot Tracker? Is that an app for your phone? I didn't see it in iTunes, but there seems to be plenty of these navigation apps to choose from. Thx.

SpyderAnn01
07-21-2013, 11:28 PM
I personally prefer to ride in stealth mode. The fewer people that know where I am the better! :roflblack:

WackyDan
07-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Glympse can't be used perpetually. Sure, if you have the data plan and battery, but you can only set it to allow visibility to your route for four hours... then you have to create a new
Glympse.

Chupaca
07-22-2013, 01:04 AM
Follow Mee..we use it and you can give access to those you want..!! Works well thing is no one wants to follow me..:roflblack: But my wife likes to know where I am when traveling..!! :thumbup:

Illinois Boy
07-22-2013, 06:26 AM
What is Spot Tracker? Is that an app for your phone? I didn't see it in iTunes, but there seems to be plenty of these navigation apps to choose from. Thx.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=102

Lamonster
07-22-2013, 06:51 AM
Click for a Glympse of my location: http://glympse.com/SAX-9AQ

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

Lamonster
07-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Glympse can't be used perpetually. Sure, if you have the data plan and battery, but you can only set it to allow visibility to your route for four hours... then you have to create a new
Glympse.

You can modify the same one and update. We did that all day yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

greendean
07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
So Lamonster Is that an app on your phone or a separate gps ?
I guess I'm confused

shelbydave
07-22-2013, 07:05 AM
So Lamonster Is that an app on your phone or a separate gps ?
I guess I'm confused
Glympse is an app for your phone. SPOT is a device /service. I think you can get them at Best Buy.

greendean
07-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Sorry I'm slow I found the app Glimpse it will be interesting as to battery usage. I use other apps
that run gps and battery life is a consumable. I think my wife will like this she is always worried when
I'm riding to and from work. Thanks

PrairieSpyder
07-22-2013, 07:44 AM
I've never used it but Spot seems to be ideal, except for having to buy the device plus subscribing to the service.

It seems the Glimpse is a nice free alternative. I've got three 12-volt outlets on my RT, so I could keep my iPhone/iPad plugged in while I ryde.

bullant12
07-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Each one has his pros/cons. I like Glympse because it works on my iPhone, so no need to buy another gadget. I think with SPOT you need to subscribe, which with Glympse you don't. However, as Dan and Lamont have stated, you need to refresh your Glympse every 4 hours. Another issue with Glympse is that because it is constantly running Location Services on your iDevice, it eats up the battery! And for some reason, on Lamont's phone anyway, pluging it in doesn't seem to help...:dontknow:
However, Glympse is very accurate and refreshes very frequently. To bad that the satellite pictures don't let you know what is on the area, especially since this works with Google Maps...:(

Lamonster
07-22-2013, 09:01 AM
My charger auks. Harvey's is keeping up fine.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk

Saluda
07-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Main reason for purchase was snowmobiling. We never had cell service for the majority of our trips.

murphybrown
07-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Keith the Spot Tracker is a separate device for tracking my travels. I use it with a ram mount...it was one of two requests my kids had before they would "give me their blessing".before I started traveling the "world" on Ms Spyder. Do an internet search on Spot...they just came out with a new Gen 3..my Gen 2 is not waterproof but like my GPS a ziploc bag does the trick..
with the Spot my fam and friends who I give the link to can see on a google map where I am at...it "sets" a ping every 10 minutes on the map. Then IF I would take the time apparently you can add text and pictures to those pings...:yikes: I now take my Spot even when I go with friends/fam in their rigs. We lost an elderly couple who got lost on a side road and if they had had a SPOT they would have been found. In the last two years we have had lost hikers and the two that had Spots with them were found and saved...still looking for a couple others bodies...so I am a believer in the usefulness of this "snoopy" tool....:clap:

ARtraveler
07-22-2013, 01:34 PM
I personally prefer to ride in stealth mode. The fewer people that know where I am the better! :roflblack:

Likewise. :thumbup:

spydaman60
07-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Sorry I'm slow I found the app Glimpse it will be interesting as to battery usage. I use other apps
that run gps and battery life is a consumable. I think my wife will like this she is always worried when
I'm riding to and from work. Thanks ya, but if you stop at the pub on the way home, the wife is gonna know right where you are.
:roflblack::roflblack: