PDA

View Full Version : Purge Valve

PW2013STL
07-21-2013, 06:17 PM
Anyone else have a purge valve go bad?

My 2013 ST Limited went into the dealer last Tuesday after I got the orange screen of death Check Engine Light came on. It happened at the end of our first day on a trip we were taking. We were about 200 miles from our dealer and the nearest dealer was 97 miles from where we were. Since the next day was a benefit run I decided to continue driving it. Since my dealer is not open on Mondays I dropped it off after work on Tuesday.

I was told that they will have it ready Saturday. We went there Saterday and was told that the purge valve is bad and that they have to order one so we will not get it before Wednesday.:(

What's up with dealers not carrying parts?:banghead:

willey
07-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Most dealers will stock the every day parts like oil and air filters but if you think about how many different brands of bikes todays dealers carry,they would have a ton of money wraped up in inventory.Todays dealers go to the computer,check the wharehouse and if they have the part in stock.the dealer can have it for you in a day or two.most times. I don`t like to wait but its a fact of life,that is just the way most dealers work in todays world.

Bob Denman
07-30-2013, 07:35 AM
Purge valves have cropped up as a recent source of difficulties... :shocked:
At least on the 2013s; has anybody with a different model year bike had an issue with one?

rayeade
07-30-2013, 06:44 PM
What are the symptoms or codes for a bad purge valve?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sny
07-30-2013, 08:19 PM
What I wonder is if these are being damaged from the heat as well.

I'm hoping that once they finally fix the heat issues (and lean issues) that most of these other things go away.

safecracker
07-30-2013, 08:31 PM
When I had my Spyder checked last Thursaday, my number 2 cylinder had thrown the same code a number of times. The issue with mine was, after riding it for awhile and the shutting it off for 10-20 minutes and then starting it, it would run rich on the number 2 cylinder. It would idle rough and a decrease in power when taking off. Once you went a little ways it would be fine. It would never throw a code. The dealer asked me if I had ever over filled the tank with fuel. I said I had. He said the likely cause is either the evap cannister is full of fuel or bad purge valve or sensor. He cleared the faults and told me to keep him posted on this issue. When I get home from my trip, I plan on removing the evap cannnister to see if my problem goes away. If not, it will be either the purge valve or sensor. I have a 2011 RTS.

kman
08-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Anyone else have a purge valve go bad?

My 2013 ST Limited went into the dealer last Tuesday after I got the orange screen of death Check Engine Light came on. It happened at the end of our first day on a trip we were taking. We were about 200 miles from our dealer and the nearest dealer was 97 miles from where we were. Since the next day was a benefit run I decided to continue driving it. Since my dealer is not open on Mondays I dropped it off after work on Tuesday.

I was told that they will have it ready Saturday. We went there Saterday and was told that the purge valve is bad and that they have to order one so we will not get it before Wednesday.:(

What's up with dealers not carrying parts?:banghead:
I have a 2008 gs/rs and back in 2009 some of us did the" canisterectomy".Do a search on here it is an easy mod.You don't need no stinkin purge valve!;)