PDA

View Full Version : Mods For Heat Correction!

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 02:44 PM
Let's list em all here! Since this is a popular topic!

lookerjdc
07-21-2013, 04:22 PM
start with: http://www.spyderpops.com/

Orange monster
07-21-2013, 04:27 PM
The only real heat I feel on my 2013 RSS is on my left leg, the right seems to stay at a comfortable temp. The left is not so hot that it burns or anything like that but if it were a little cooler it would be more comfortable on 100 degree days. I bought some exhaust wrap and water wetter and will wrap the left exhaust in the next couple of weeks.

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Here is what I am testing out now. Rode a little today and was surprised on how much heat I don't feel. Fan kicked on and could barley even feel any heat at all. This opens up for the heat to escape in a large area instead of just out the side. I even sat in the garage while the bike was running and the fan on and still didn't feel much heat blowing on me. Instead of completely taking off the splash pan underneath I drilled 6 holes (1 1/8in).

Let me know what you think :clap:

JKMSPYDER
07-21-2013, 05:15 PM
​I can't tell by the pictures where you drilled the holes. Can you be more specific?

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 05:34 PM

Here are the guards. If you look under your spyder on both sides you will see these. Coz, helped me by stating that I should remove them but, I didn't like what it exposed so today I decided to drill holes. I will take some more pictures or you can PM me with your e mail and I will send some or maybe a video.:yes:

coz
07-21-2013, 05:48 PM
did you remove something near the radiator? it looks different. can't put my finger on it.:popcorn:

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 06:12 PM
did you remove something near the radiator? it looks different. can't put my finger on it.:popcorn:

I did. The plastic piece that is supposed to redirect it out the side, I took it out and I am surprised at this point. Haven't tested in really hot weather yet so the question is still out on how it works. It was in the mid-high 80's today low humidity.

coz
07-21-2013, 06:41 PM
i don't recall anyone ever doing that before. let us know what happens when it's in the ninety's again. it would be great in colder weather.:thumbup:

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 06:48 PM
i don't recall anyone ever doing that before. let us know what happens when it's in the ninety's again. it would be great in colder weather.:thumbup:

Sure thing. Well, i went into limp mode the other day when it was hot before this mod and was doing 60 MPH. Changed the fuse in the fan slot and it never done it again. Who knows. Guess we will see.. Will keep everybody updated.

poordom
07-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Sure thing. Well, i went into limp mode the other day when it was hot before this mod and was doing 60 MPH. Changed the fuse in the fan slot and it never done it again. Who knows. Guess we will see.. Will keep everybody updated.

Its would be a good idea to send more pics., a video would be greatly appreciated, I am sure.

I guess increasing the flow path, does help, keep us posted.

You may be on to something.

Dom

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 07:20 PM
If you'd like to be a part of an experiment shoot me a PM.

billrob71
07-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I wrapped the left exhaust header pipe and its helping a lot , the left side was very hot to the touch and came up through the crack between the plastic and oil cooler cover now it gets on the hotter side of warm but can touch the plastic with no problems , I wrapped it about 4 time and it does help. Started at the first bend and went back to the last bend by the belt.

Brogers57
07-21-2013, 09:47 PM
I wrapped the left exhaust header pipe and its helping a lot , the left side was very hot to the touch and came up through the crack between the plastic and oil cooler cover now it gets on the hotter side of warm but can touch the plastic with no problems , I wrapped it about 4 time and it does help. Started at the first bend and went back to the last bend by the belt.

Well I am lucky as my plastic is not that hot. Warm to touch but not burning. I am hoping that the removal and hole drilling I done could resolve problems. I may go to the other side and drill 6 more holes after some more testing.

Brogers57
07-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Just a quick update, today I will be shooting a video of what I removed to show you some of the differences. I still need somebody to test something for me if possible! Require no mods just wanted to see about air flow compared to mine. PM me!

lookerjdc
07-22-2013, 06:30 PM
this is a mod I made for my RTS using the lower block off plate from Spyderpops and then a curved exhaust pipe and fitting fro Autozone:

Brogers57
07-22-2013, 06:41 PM
this is a mod I made for my RTS using the lower block off plate from Spyderpops and then a curved exhaust pipe and fitting fro Autozone:

Awesome.. Thanks for the share! I am uploading my video now and then will post soon to show a little more in detail to what I have accomplished. I am about to go out for a small ride, then to further my investigation!

Dan McNally
07-22-2013, 08:58 PM

That looks great . . . How does it work on a hot day?

Brogers57
07-22-2013, 09:02 PM
http://www.filedropper.com/img1878 - Me talking about the mod and showing by video what I done.

http://www.filedropper.com/img1879 - Me talking about my recent ride plus paper streamers while fan is blow

Keep in mind that the bike is sitting still and imagine the air flow that is happening while the bike is moving, I do feel more heat is being pushed out and also out the left side as well.

lookerjdc
07-22-2013, 09:37 PM
That looks great . . . How does it work on a hot day?

works fine

I also used thermal wrap on the inside of the top block off plate and that has pretty much removed all hot air escaping (I also cut a large hole in the lower pan and covered it with grate to prevent anything getting kicked up under the bike

SPYDERFUZZ
07-22-2013, 09:45 PM
I hear a lot about heat on the right side. I have 2012 RT LTD and the right side is fine the left side gets a little warm. I also don't hear anyone say they are wearing boots over the ankle. I would like to hear about that:hun:. I have not been wearing boots and I think if I did I would not feel any heat. Might be uncomfortable in Texas it was 100 yesterday. :yikes:

jwulf74
07-22-2013, 10:08 PM
We have a 2011 RT and DO wear over the ankle motorcycle boots... the heat on the right side when sitting is downright hot... I may experiment tomorrow (have a week off, yay) and will post my method if it works out...

Brogers57
07-22-2013, 10:21 PM
We have a 2011 RT and DO wear over the ankle motorcycle boots... the heat on the right side when sitting is downright hot... I may experiment tomorrow (have a week off, yay) and will post my method if it works out...

Best of luck, I am going to drill 6 holes on my left splash pan to see how it works out, more heat being pushed out is better :D.

Dudley
07-22-2013, 10:24 PM
Good riding boots and jeans. I have ridden in 115 degree weather and neither my feet nor my legs got uncomfortably hot.

MrLooney
07-23-2013, 12:03 AM
Here is what I am testing out now. Rode a little today and was surprised on how much heat I don't feel. Fan kicked on and could barley even feel any heat at all. This opens up for the heat to escape in a large area instead of just out the side. I even sat in the garage while the bike was running and the fan on and still didn't feel much heat blowing on me. Instead of completely taking off the splash pan underneath I drilled 6 holes (1 1/8in).

Let me know what you think :clap:

I see and understand where you have drilled the 6 holes under your :spyder2:. My question is = How do you know if the hot air is flowing out and under your Roadster or is the cool air flowing into your Roadster?

I do not have my Roadster at hand to see and understand this very well now.

Where is the positive air entering the Roadster to cause the hot air to escape out of these holes?

These questions come from my experience in heat / cold and return air ducting in houses. One often thinks that a hole in the pressurized duct blowing air into your house will blow air out of that hole... when in fact it can be sucking in the air from outside the duct. The pressurized air flowing over that hole creates a suction through that hole.

MarkLawson
07-23-2013, 07:09 AM
http://www.filedropper.com/img1878 - Me talking about the mod and showing by video what I done.

http://www.filedropper.com/img1879 - Me talking about my recent ride plus paper streamers while fan is blow

Keep in mind that the bike is sitting still and imagine the air flow that is happening while the bike is moving, I do feel more heat is being pushed out and also out the left side as well.

I'm sure your videos are interesting & I'd love to see them, but it appears you have put them in a site that requires me to sign up or log in. Any chance you can post them somewhere where people can easily view them?

Brogers57
07-23-2013, 07:15 AM
You should have to sign up. You will have to wait maybe 15 seconds or so before you can download them.

Brogers57
07-23-2013, 07:17 AM
I see and understand where you have drilled the 6 holes under your :spyder2:. My question is = How do you know if the hot air is flowing out and under your Roadster or is the cool air flowing into your Roadster?

I do not have my Roadster at hand to see and understand this very well now.

Where is the positive air entering the Roadster to cause the hot air to escape out of these holes?

These questions come from my experience in heat / cold and return air ducting in houses. One often thinks that a hole in the pressurized duct blowing air into your house will blow air out of that hole... when in fact it can be sucking in the air from outside the duct. The pressurized air flowing over that hole creates a suction through that hole.

I am not 100% sure that I haven't created a pressured system through the holes. My idea was just to drill the 6 holes instead of removing it completely. Further testing is still out as the weather is not hot here. If there is somebody that just wants to remove the redirect or and see how it does, I would hope they would report back! Also, would you happen to know a way to validate a suction or not? I'm open ears

flamingobabe
07-23-2013, 07:28 AM
my bottom piece is off.....pipes wrapped, gas tank covered with ceramic reflective material, extended heat shield, wetter water in radiator, PitBull did a flash on ECM, bike running cooler...no heat problems after 1900 or so miles

kepople
07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
So if you remove the bottem panel or drill holes, are you running a risk of water splashing up into the electronics?

lookerjdc
07-23-2013, 09:06 AM
So if you remove the bottem panel or drill holes, are you running a risk of water splashing up into the electronics?

no

kepople
07-23-2013, 09:08 AM
you sure ? :D

Brogers57
07-23-2013, 09:48 AM
you sure ? :D

The only concern I had was rocks or sticks being thrown up but just by riding a little less than 2k miles there were zero marks of damage. I felt better just drilling holes.

Larry rt
07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Rode 5000 miles , this past month out wast, Wyoming ,Montana , Dakota's and Minnesota . Only hot spot was seat , foot and leg area warm , but not unbearable . Added a cushion on seat , gel filled , helped . Was unseasonably hot this year .

stevedfive
07-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Brogers57
07-23-2013, 12:06 PM

very interesting. You surpassed my 6 lol

Bob Ledford
07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
The photos that everyone posted has gotten me totally confused and disoriented. The one set of six holes I ake it to be the black panel on the underside front of the front suspension am I right?

The one with the aluminum perforated screen is covering a hole cut in the black panel front or back m of the radiators.

The one with the piece of metal with 6 verical holes in it to the left. Where is that one at?

The one with the fan showing is one on the left looking forward or is it backwards?

jerpinoy
07-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Maybe we can use a big electric fan in front of the:spyder2: and use streamers to find out where the air comes in and out. This will be a low tech wind tunnel but will work for the project. Good luck and please post the result.

kepople
07-23-2013, 02:32 PM
Rode 5000 miles , this past month out wast, Wyoming ,Montana , Dakota's and Minnesota . Only hot spot was seat , foot and leg area warm , but not unbearable . Added a cushion on seat , gel filled , helped . Was unseasonably hot this year .

my issues are when you slow down and then it gets hot. but the heat seems to be eminating from the panel under my butt and leg rather than from the radiator. i think mine is the headers.

stil the question is: thermostat running too hot?
since some dont have problems its suspect.

kirby

Sny
07-23-2013, 02:38 PM
my bottom piece is off.....pipes wrapped, gas tank covered with ceramic reflective material, extended heat shield, wetter water in radiator, PitBull did a flash on ECM, bike running cooler...no heat problems after 1900 or so miles
That's good news. Maybe I'll ride down to see Len to solve my heat issues.

I wish BRP would say something... to anyone. My dealer hasn't been given nearly as much info as we have here.

poordom
07-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Any other file format, in order to watch video, I do not have access to file.

Thanks

Dom

not2brite
07-28-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm wondering about all the heat issues. I'm in one of the most humid parts of Georgia; when it's 90 degrees in the summer, it's 90 percent humidity here. We can't even spell evaporative cooling down here:(. FYI, I always wear mesh MC pants. My left side of the 2013 ST (almost 4000 miles now) gets warm, but not extremely so. To keep these heat mods forum posts useful to other readers, it would be helpful to know what other mods you have installed. Three specific types come to mind: 1) any plastic faring or front-opening mods on the front/bottom of the machine? 2). any fuel system/air filter mods of any kind? (has your bike ECU been touched at some time?) 3). any exhaust system mods of any kind? Seems to me that any or all of these type farkle mods could affect the originally-designed airflow system, resulting in more/less heat under the cowling. It's really hard to know what is happening on a particular bike when multiple things are modified. Thanks for the info. Great forum.

kepople
07-28-2013, 08:11 PM
I am sure heat is relative to the rider. My spyder RTS gets hot in traffic, hot enough for me to be concerned and my foot to be very uncomfortable.
Todays ride was fairly cool because it was cool and humid out. But when it heated up the temp needle started moving and I felt heat in the cockpit.

So, I wonder if there is some possibility of flaky thermostats in various bikes?

NancysToy
07-28-2013, 09:32 PM
It seems that people are looking at the heat as one problem and even one source. In truth, it is several. An owner can experience any one...or all of them together.

Engine overheating, as seen on the gauge or by frequent fan operation, is a function and result of the cooling system. In reality the engine temperature is fairly constant, despite the gauge readings. Actual overheating will cause limp mode, but seldom happens if the fan is working and the coolant level is correct. Don't worry about how many bars are showing on the gauge unless it is not what you normally see, you have a limp mode, or your gauge is near the red.

Heat on the right foot comes from the radiator. In hot climates, the already hot air is heated as it cools the engine, and it becomes even hotter...sometimes blistering hot. The hot air stream exits on the right side and can be carried onto the rider's foot or leg. The ambient temperature, the model you ride, any mods affecting the air flow, whether the fan is running, the speed traveled, the direction of the wind, how you position your legs and feet, and whether or not you have highway pegs or footboards (that move your foot/leg closer to the heat source) all affect how much heat you will feel on the right side.

Heat on the left foot, other than with the 2008-2012 GS/RS, generally comes from the catalytic converter, which is mounted low on that side. The passenger may feel the worst of this. Other than at low speed operation, the CAT should not affect temperatures higher up, and certainly not farther forward. Heat on the left thigh of an RS/GS can be due to deteriorating Y-gaskets.

Heat around the seat and thighs is mostly a result of radiated engine and exhaust heat, which is trapped in the body and can't escape readily. The heat travels naturally upward, and will escape through any vent or opening it finds. What doesn't escape radiates heat to its surroundings...the body panels, gas tank, and seat. Each model shows differing heat characteristics in this area, partly due to differences in bodywork, venting, subpanels, insulation, and even way the rider is seated. Different windshields, windshield position, deflectors, and even carrying a passenger affect the air flow in this area and can change how much heat is felt. How the rider holds his/her legs and the rider's size and seating position also affect the amount felt.

A rider's apparel is a big factor in why some riders complain about the heat and some don't. Flip-flops are gonna fry your feet way more than boots. Mesh or insulated overpants will offer more protection than jeans...and especially more than shorts, etc. Tight clothing will pass more heat than looser apparel. It is hard to compare notes when we all wear different things to ride in. We all ride in different climates, too.

Hopefully this little synopsis will let those with problems concentrate on the area(s) most likely to be affecting them. A broad brush attack will just cost you money and waste your time. Look at where your problems are, look at what you wear, what you ride, and any mods you have made, and try to work out solutions for the things that are most likely to be affecingt you...cat converter shields if your left foot is hot, different apparel, insulation under the panels of an RS or ST, and so on. If you find a good solution, report it here, along with the specifics of where your problem was and what you ride. If you try something and it doesn't work, report that, too, so others don't have to reinvent the wheel. Too many folks talking about heat in general, and too few about specifics here to be of much use. Concentrate on each area separately and report the results in enough detail to decipher.

JMHO

Motorcycledave
07-28-2013, 10:04 PM
I would love to have seen the video but all I get is a page saying File Dropper
and nothing to click on to open a file or video.... bummer
What am I doing wrong ?

Desert Spyder
07-29-2013, 07:00 AM
I have not experienced big heat related issues but I may be the exception, dunno. I generally wear levis and low top shoes when riding because my boots are uncomfortable to walk in. I'm thinking of getting a high top sneaker like riding boot.

The Spyder is my first bike. I owned a RS and now a RT. Heat hasn't been a big issue for me and I live in the desert. The only mod I've ever done was the air dam around the radiator on my RS. It would bring the temp down a bar or two while traveling but it would go back up at the traffic light. So that prompts a question to those who are experiencing heat issues. Is it happening while you are traveling the open highway or in the city?

What other bikes have heat disorders? Is this a Rotax thing?

poordom
08-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Good evening All,

Well I have made some mods to my Spyder in order to take care of the heat issues.

These mods have improved the temp issues, or have they, since the modifications, the weather has changed with the temperature dropping considerably.

There is one question I would appreciate an answer to :

Can the thermostat be changed to a lower temperature range, in order to get the fan to start earlier thus reducing the operating temperature.

​Dom

Brogers57
08-04-2013, 08:43 PM
If anybody is wanting the videos please let me know I uploaded them on Skydrive, just leave me your e mail.

NancysToy
08-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Good evening All,

Well I have made some mods to my Spyder in order to take care of the heat issues.

These mods have improved the temp issues, or have they, since the modifications, the weather has changed with the temperature dropping considerably.

There is one question I would appreciate an answer to :

Can the thermostat be changed to a lower temperature range, in order to get the fan to start earlier thus reducing the operating temperature.

​Dom
The thermostat does not control the fan operation. The coolant temperature sensor, in combination with the programming in the Spyder does the job. An additional switch would be needed to do what you wish, but it would have little effect on the temperatures, IMO. It might slow the rise down a bit, but in the end the water temperature is pretty constant except in stop-n-go traffic or extreme ambient temperatures.

bud2061
08-04-2013, 09:33 PM
has anyone installed fan-can to rid the heat ? does it help relieve the high temp ?

kepople
08-04-2013, 09:36 PM
If anybody is wanting the videos please let me know I uploaded them on Skydrive, just leave me your e mail.

kepople@mac dot com

I would like to see the videos...

kepople
08-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I have not experienced big heat related issues but I may be the exception, dunno. I generally wear levis and low top shoes when riding because my boots are uncomfortable to walk in. I'm thinking of getting a high top sneaker like riding boot.

The Spyder is my first bike. I owned a RS and now a RT. Heat hasn't been a big issue for me and I live in the desert. The only mod I've ever done was the air dam around the radiator on my RS. It would bring the temp down a bar or two while traveling but it would go back up at the traffic light. So that prompts a question to those who are experiencing heat issues. Is it happening while you are traveling the open highway or in the city?

What other bikes have heat disorders? Is this a Rotax thing?

I was talking to the service manager at Louis powersports about the heat.
He told me there was a Kawasaki that had a similar issue. They solved the issue by installing a second fan on the bottem to pull the heat down so it would exit in a different location.

other than that, he stated, Rotax being a higher reving engine will generate more heat of course. There are a couple BMW bikes that use the Rotax that also run hot.

They also told me that they had a heat shield for earlier models, but it caused the bike to run hotter.
He also stated that wrapping the pipes, may not reduce the heat all that much, if at all. He said he would take my money if I wanted, but that I ought to see what results others are seeing before spending the $$.

FYI they will charge about $275 to do it, pulling the headers, and replacing the gaskets if I supply the tape.

Soooo, no idea what to do here, but I will start with Spyder pops catalytic converter shield, and probably the upper block off, so I can use highway pegs.

Sure is a shame to have this preoccupying my riding thoughts, instead of just dreaming of where to ryde. Come on BRP, come up with a plan here.

JacqueTanis
08-04-2013, 11:01 PM
My husband works at the High Speed Test Track at Holloman AFB. They use Cork to shield from the heat of the Rocket motors. 1/4" thick. I've ordered some and am going to install it on my panels and as a temporary shield for the Cat Converter while I wait for Spyderpops to come up with the Shield for the ST. Also following another lead and putting ceramic heat shield on the gas tank and we're trying to figure out how to add a couple fans to draw the hot air out of the panels. Wrapped the exhaust pipe and siliconed it!

Brogers57
08-05-2013, 09:03 PM
kepople@mac dot com

I would like to see the videos...

Sent.. Sorry for the delay

OldDog
08-06-2013, 01:07 PM
My husband works at the High Speed Test Track at Holloman AFB. They use Cork to shield from the heat of the Rocket motors. 1/4" thick. I've ordered some and am going to install it on my panels and as a temporary shield for the Cat Converter while I wait for Spyderpops to come up with the Shield for the ST. Also following another lead and putting ceramic heat shield on the gas tank and we're trying to figure out how to add a couple fans to draw the hot air out of the panels. Wrapped the exhaust pipe and siliconed it!

Let us know how the fans work out. I am quite intrigued by the forced air ventilation solution . (along with the heat wraps, shields etc.)

Three elements to the heat issue: radiant heat, convective, and conductive...

Benggolf
10-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Has anyone tried the Catalytic Converter Shield Set by Spyderpops?
How effective are they in reducing the heat from the underside during low speed operation?

kepople
10-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Has anyone tried the Catalytic Converter Shield Set by Spyderpops?
How effective are they in reducing the heat from the underside during low speed operation?

A trivial difference. Its more the conditions than anything. if its hot outside, wear a heat resistant boot. Now that its cooled off, the heat even sitting in traffic is negligable.