PDA

View Full Version : Oil Usage

myronmathis
07-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I have a 2011 RSS and it seems to me that it uses a lot of oil and it doesn't get the MPG (35-42MPG) that I was sold on. Does anyone have these issues?

wyliec
07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
I have a 2011 RSS and it seems to me that it uses a lot of oil and it doesn't get the MPG (35-42MPG) that I was sold on. Does anyone have these issues?

I have a 2008 GS SM5 and get around 31 mpg. The mpg I get is around average and will vary on your driving habits.

What is a lot of oil? I was down about a quart from my last oil change, which was 3500 miles ago.

kinggeek
07-21-2013, 11:01 AM
I have been told and I personally believe ALL Spyders use oil. How much depends on how aggressively you ride. If someone tells you their Spyder does not use oil either they do not ride it or they do not check it. IMHO.

Blue Star
07-21-2013, 11:27 AM

It would be rare to get 35 MPG on any Spyder, but not impossible. Dang near impossible to get 42 MPG, and I would say who ever told you this lied. My guess was the salesman that said it.

KX5062
07-21-2013, 11:31 AM
My Spyder has never gotten over 35 mpg, but averages around 31-33 mpg driven conservatively on the highway. It also burns some oil. Still within specs, but it definately uses oil.

boborgera
07-21-2013, 11:51 AM

35 Is doable, If you don't ride over 55 on the highway, 42 Is done with fuzzy math... As far as using a lot of oil, How much does yours use.??:popcorn:

BikerDoc
07-21-2013, 12:03 PM
I have been told and I personally believe ALL Spyders use oil. How much depends on how aggressively you ride. If someone tells you their Spyder does not use oil either they do not ride it or they do not check it. IMHO.
Sorry but I don't buy this.. I have 65000 Spyder miles including 32000 on my 2012 Rt LTD.. I ride like hell is chasing me and need the elka shocks that allow me to take 30 mile per hours curves at 60. I have never had to add oil between changes on either of my bikes.

wyliec
07-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Sorry but I don't buy this.. I have 65000 Spyder miles including 32000 on my 2012 Rt LTD.. I ride like hell is chasing me and need the elka shocks that allow me to take 30 mile per hours curves at 60. I have never had to add oil between changes on either of my bikes.

How many miles between oil changes? Did your oil level stay constant between changes?

I would say you're the exception and not the rule regarding the engine not using any oil at all, if that is what you're saying.

Bob Ledford
07-21-2013, 12:39 PM
ALL internal combustion engines will consume some oil as it is the nature of the beast. It will improve with age. Same thing with gas mileage. At firśt it stinks then it just smells!

BikerDoc
07-21-2013, 01:06 PM
How many miles between oil changes? Did your oil level stay constant between changes?

I would say you're the exception and not the rule regarding the engine not using any oil at all, if that is what you're saying.

3000 miles originally and then 4600 once the new filter came out.. never down more than half a quart at change time

MikeinGA
07-21-2013, 05:55 PM

I live in Mt Airy, Ga. and I had the same problem my 2011 RSS. First of all your getting oil in your air box and the stock paper filter now has oil on it and that's not good. The oil comes from the engine vent, that the hose that goes from the rear cylinder head to the air box, and puts dirty oil into the throttle body and that not good. I have a list some were that all the things I did to solve the problem and get better gas mileage. The best gas mileage was 44.6 mpg and I average 38 mpg. PM me and let me know if you want the list. Were do you live in Ga. If your close I can show what I did.

Mike

Silvervette05
07-21-2013, 06:00 PM
I have a 2008 GS SM5 and get around 31 mpg. The mpg I get is around average and will vary on your driving habits.

What is a lot of oil? I was down about a quart from my last oil change, which was 3500 miles ago.

I'am the same 08, sm5, I love it.

myronmathis
07-21-2013, 09:48 PM
Hey it will be a few weeks before I can ride again, my engine locked and I am waiting on BRP to send the new engine. Maybe the new engine wont burn the oil and gas like the locked engine did. I live in Loganville, Ga. where is Mt. Airy?
I live in Mt Airy, Ga. and I had the same problem my 2011 RSS. First of all your getting oil in your air box and the stock paper filter now has oil on it and that's not good. The oil comes from the engine vent, that the hose that goes from the rear cylinder head to the air box, and puts dirty oil into the throttle body and that not good. I have a list some were that all the things I did to solve the problem and get better gas mileage. The best gas mileage was 44.6 mpg and I average 38 mpg. PM me and let me know if you want the list. Were do you live in Ga. If your close I can show what I did.

Mike

SpyderAnn01
07-21-2013, 11:39 PM
A very intelligent technician from BRP talked about the oil usage and said that if you typically ride your Spyder on short trips say under a 100 miles at a time you will not consume as much oil as someone who takes theirs on long trips where the Spyder is ridden for several hundred miles in a day. So someone like Hal (BikerDoc) who rides a lot but usually 100 - 200 miles in a day will use less oil then I do as my trips are usually 400 to 600 miles in a day. I generally use a quart of oil between changes.

Tierhog
07-22-2013, 01:24 AM
Can't prove this, but I've seen a few filling oil level to max instead of midline and that appears to push that extra oil to the airbox. Owner responds by refilling to maximum only to find more oil in airbox and oil level below max.

I target the center of the dipstick between min and max. No oil loss or oil in airbox

boborgera
07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
Can't prove this, but I've seen a few filling oil level to max instead of midline and that appears to push that extra oil to the airbox. Owner responds by refilling to maximum only to find more oil in airbox and oil level below max.

I target the center of the dipstick between min and max. No oil loss or oil in airbox

:agree: Most manufacturers, Recommend keeping the oil level midway on the dipstick and only add oil when the level is at the low mark.., I know the last 3 bikes I have says that in the manual.. And the oil doesn't necessarily end up in the air box , It will go through the throttle bodys and be burnt up..

bobnaquin
07-22-2013, 09:04 AM

I have put 62,000 miles on these things. MPG is roughly 30 miles per gallon depending on how you drive, how you calculate, whether you use ethanol blend. Oil consumption is about 1 qt every 5,000 miles. I would guess a significant portion of this goes up through your air cleaner and gets burned with intake air or it leaks out of the bottom of the engine. Both of these numbers will suffer if you drive really really hard.

boborgera
07-22-2013, 09:16 AM
I have put 62,000 miles on these things. MPG is roughly 30 miles per gallon depending on how you drive, how you calculate, whether you use ethanol blend. Oil consumption is about 1 qt every 5,000 miles. I would guess a significant portion of this goes up through your air cleaner and gets burned with intake air or it leaks out of the bottom of the engine. Both of these numbers will suffer if you drive really really hard.

It gets burnt before it can get to the air filter...

Just to add the throttle body's are down stream from the air filter...

bobnaquin
07-22-2013, 08:22 PM
It gets burnt before it can get to the air filter...

Just to add the throttle body's are down stream from the air filter...

You are correct. I should have said, "air box". I date myself with saying air cleaner.

blambert
07-25-2013, 11:29 PM
Just came back from a 3000 mile road trip from AZ to Oregon coast and back where I was doing anywhere between 300 and 500 miles per day. Lots of high speed running in the twists and curves chasing my BMW friends on my 2011 RS. Checked oil every day - found that every other day I was halfway or at the low level mark. Stopped by a Can Am dealership in Portland OR and their Ace tech shared that the Spyders will consume oil on long runs each day. He told me for checking the oil, run the bike for about 1 minute then check dipstick. Put stick in without threading and a full oil reading is halfway between the full and low mark. I have found that on my long daily runs runs at high speed, hammering the SE5 I will consume oil.

Flanker
07-26-2013, 06:20 AM
My Spyder has never gotten over 35 mpg, but averages around 31-33 mpg driven conservatively on the highway. It also burns some oil. Still within specs, but it definately uses oil.

Same, same.

Bob Denman
07-26-2013, 07:02 AM
We really don't have a lot to go on here...
How much oil is your bike using?
What sort of fuel mileages are you recording?
Where does the salesman live who promised you 35-42 mpg? :gaah:

wyliec
07-26-2013, 07:42 AM
He told me for checking the oil, run the bike for about 1 minute then check dipstick. Put stick in without threading and a full oil reading is halfway between the full and low mark. I have found that on my long daily runs runs at high speed, hammering the SE5 I will consume oil.

I hope you're not saying to run a cold engine for 1 minute and then check the oil. If you are, I'll stick to the instructions on the oil reservoir, and you may want to find another tech.

We've had others give short cut methods they swear by; but, the only method to give a true oil level reading is the BRP method, at least for spyders.

Bob Denman
07-26-2013, 07:57 AM
:agree: READ THE MANUAL! ;)

NancysToy
07-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Sorry, but that tech gave you some bad advice. The procedure for checking oil on a Spyder is in your manual. The engine should be at full operating temperature. That doesn't just mean running for a few minutes so the water temperature gauge comes up. Checking after a ride is best. If the Spyder has sat not running for over five minutes or so, start the engine and run for at least 30 seconds to evacuate the sump and pump all the oil back to the tank. Shut it off and check the level within a minute or two. The dipstick must be screwed in all the way...unlike many other motorcycles where it is merely inserted. Oil level should be within the cross hatched area on the stick. Sounds like the tech might benefit by reading the manual...or visiting SpyderLovers.

Edsts
09-10-2013, 04:56 PM
I have not road my sts since the recall bulletin , today I decided to pull out the bike to wash it and decided to check the oil and wow only the tip of the dip stick was wet , I have bout 1500 miles on the bike . I did the first service at the 600 mile service . I called the dealer and tech stated these unit consumes lot of oil ,

question I have is does that mean it burning the oil .
Seconly what type of oil should I get . Good oil .

I read on here when choking the oil the dip stick should be full of oil med way .

Pls help before I kill my self , lol

NancysToy
09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
If you did not ride the Spyder long enough to get it up to full operating temperature...about ten minutes of riding, you did not get a true reading. Just watching the water temp gauge rise is not enough, the oil and metal have to be at full operating temperatures, which takes longer.

boborgera
09-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Keeping the oil at the ''Full'' line/mark at all times, Will mean you'll always be adding oil between oil changes.
A dry sump will seek it's own level...

It reminds me of the joke back in the 60's with big block engines when getting gas, You'll never be able to fill the tank if you kept the engine running..:roflblack:

Edsts
09-10-2013, 07:11 PM
If you did not ride the Spyder long enough to get it up to full opereating temperature...about ten minutes of riding, you did not get a true reading. Just watching the water temp gauge rise is not enough, the oil and metal have to be at full operating temperatures, which takes longer.

Feeling better now , will be checking it tomorrow after a short run , Thanks for giving me an excuse to ride !

MikeinGA
09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
I have a 2011 RSS and it seems to me that it uses a lot of oil and it doesn't get the MPG (35-42MPG) that I was sold on. Does anyone have these issues? I sent you a P.M.

Mike