PDA

View Full Version : Sena SM10 and Bluetooth from the bike

Jonnyvermont
07-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi all. I know there has been a lot of discussion, but I am seriously confused and I'm looking for the final word.

I have a 2013 RT. I have two helmets with the Sena SMH 10 and I have purchased the SM10.

I do have an ultimate goal which I am unable to attain: I would like all audio coming from the bike to be broadcast to both sena headsets. So, I can control an iPod plugged in the in the trunk From my mode button, see the tracks on my dashboard, and have a broadcast to both riders. When the GPS talks, I would like it to broadcast to both helmets. And then, I would like us to be able to make calls on our individual iPhones.

If I could achieve this, I would install an xm radio. Ultimately, I would love to control all of this from the audio of my bike.

Is this possible???

Thanks

finless
07-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Since you have a SM10 already then you need to make your own dongle connector harness. BRP will not sell you the dongle harness unless you buy their SM10 kit for a crazy high price.

It's not hard to do it yourself!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-Sena-quot-stock-quot-SM10-wiring-to-the-BRP-radio-Make-your-own-Dongle!

My video shows making your own connector from parts bought at a electronics store. However in this thread, Sheelbydave posts where to order the actual proper connector and pins.

Bob

Jonnyvermont
07-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Since you have a SM10 already then you need to make your own dongle connector harness. BRP will not sell you the dongle harness unless you buy their SM10 kit for a crazy high price.

It's not hard to do it yourself!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?54867-Sena-quot-stock-quot-SM10-wiring-to-the-BRP-radio-Make-your-own-Dongle!

My video shows making your own connector from parts bought at a electronics store. However in this thread, Sheelbydave posts where to order the actual proper connector and pins.

Bob

so... if I do this, I can route the audio from the bike to both headsets?

kinggeek
07-21-2013, 02:55 PM
so... if I do this, I can route the audio from the bike to both headsets?

Yes, In theory. :banghead:

finless
07-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Yes, In theory. :banghead:

Not a theory! It works!

The SM10 is made to stream a audio source to 2 headsets. That is what it is for.

Bob

eddieshep999
07-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Hi all. I know there has been a lot of discussion, but I am seriously confused and I'm looking for the final word.

I have a 2013 RT. I have two helmets with the Sena SMH 10 and I have purchased the SM10.

I do have an ultimate goal which I am unable to attain: I would like all audio coming from the bike to be broadcast to both sena headsets. So, I can control an iPod plugged in the in the trunk From my mode button, see the tracks on my dashboard, and have a broadcast to both riders. When the GPS talks, I would like it to broadcast to both helmets. And then, I would like us to be able to make calls on our individual iPhones.

If I could achieve this, I would install an xm radio. Ultimately, I would love to control all of this from the audio of my bike.

Is this possible???

Thanks

The majority of what you want is possible but the Sena SM10 Only handles Audio out to 2 headsets and not any speech in

I think the only way for you get both phones to work individually maybe to get 1 phone to pair via the GPS into the 1st Sena SMH10 Headset and the 2nd phone to pair directly to the 2nd SMH10 Headset

Therefore 1 person can make calls via the GPS route whilst the 2nd makes calls via their SMH10 Headset
The GPS route will allow you to scroll through you phone book and make a call by touching a screen icom whilst the 2nd Phone may only be able to make calls via voice activation
Both should be able to receive incoming calls the 1st via GPS/SM10 Headset route and the 2nd direct to their SMH10 Headset

Perhaps someone who has a set up like this will be able to confirm the above

finless
07-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Wait.... This is not complicated.

Lets look at what the OP is asking:

I would like all audio coming from the bike to be broadcast to both sena headsets.

The OP wants both headsets to hear the audio from the bike. The SM10 does that. You just need to make the dongle and connect the SM10 to the radio as I have shown! No need for 2 SM10's! Then bind both headsets to the SM10.

So, I can control an iPod plugged in the in the trunk From my mode button, see the tracks on my dashboard, and have a broadcast to both riders.

When the iPod is hooked to the BRP radio through the iPod integration cable in the trunk, this works automatically.

When the GPS talks, I would like it to broadcast to both helmets.

Simple! The SM10 has a AUX input in addition to the audio input. Simply run a 3.5mm cord from the GPS to the AUX input of the SM10! DONE! Both helmets will now hear the GPS.

And then, I would like us to be able to make calls on our individual iPhones.

Simple again! Just bind each helmet to it's own phone! Then each person can use their own phone and the other person wont hear it.
The SMH10 priorities will over ride radio audio when helmet to helmet comm is used or a phone call comes in.

I don't get where the complication of 2 SM10's are needed?
Unless I am missing something in the OP's question.

Bob

kinggeek
07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Not a theory! It works!

The SM10 is made to stream a audio source to 2 headsets. That is what it is for.

Bob

I know that is what it is supposed to do. My response was based on my own experiences. It does work sometimes but most of the time it is flaky and does not work as well as it should. Maybe it is because I have Scala Rider G4 and not a Sena SMH10 headset but I spend more to lime than it is worth most days just trying to get the SM10 to play though my hen asset.

finless
07-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Maybe it's the Scala's? I so far have not had an issue with loosing connection to the SM10 from my SMH5-FM headsets.
Power up the correct way is needed. Power on the headsets then power up the SM10. If you do it the other way around sometimes the SM10 wont bind as it times out.

Bob

DR Buck
07-31-2013, 09:02 AM
And then, I would like us to be able to make calls on our individual iPhones.

Simple again! Just bind each helmet to it's own phone! Then each person can use their own phone and the other person wont hear it.
The SMH10 priorities will over ride radio audio when helmet to helmet comm is used or a phone call comes in.

I don't get where the complication of 2 SM10's are needed?
Unless I am missing something in the OP's question.

I'm not convinced this will work! Although this is where I want to be also. If you link (bind) individual phones to individual headsets, you should not be able to link to the SM10. Unless there are dual bluetooth transceivers in each of the Sena headsets, only one device can be linked at a time.

SM-10 to headsets OR Phones to headsets. Not both!

finless
07-31-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm not convinced this will work! Although this is where I want to be also. If you link (bind) individual phones to individual headsets, you should not be able to link to the SM10. Unless there are dual bluetooth transceivers in each of the Sena headsets, only one device can be linked at a time.

SM-10 to headsets OR Phones to headsets. Not both!

While I have not tried this myself, the Sena SMH10 documentation states you can do this.

http://www.senabluetooth.com/products/smh10.php?tab_menu=overview

That link and graphic shows multiple BT connections to the headset. The documentation here:

http://www.senabluetooth.com/downloads/manual/UsersGuide_Sena_SMH10-v4.2.pdf

Says, that is can support 4 BT connections and lists the priority.
Quote from manual:

The SMH10 operates in the following order of priority:
(highest) Mobile phone,
Intercom,
Stereo music by audio cable,
(lowest) Bluetooth stereo music
A lower priority function is always interrupted by a higher priority
function. For example, stereo music is interrupted by intercom call,
and intercom conversation is interrupted by incoming mobile phone
call.

6.2 Multipoint Pairing
Typical Bluetooth headsets can connect with only one HFP (Hands-
Free Profile) device, but multipoint pairing allows the headset to
connect with two HFP devices at the same time. So, when you already
have a mobile phone connected with the SMH10, you can also pair
and connect a second mobile phone or other HFP devices such as
GPS or Sena SR10, Bluetooth adapter.

Also look at the case studies in the manual. It shows up to 4 BT connections to a SMH10.

Bob

Johnny_Swindle
07-31-2013, 11:02 AM
I have two SMH 10's and recently added the SM10. I was having a difficult time getting things to work. I finally found this positing on a Goldwing forum ( http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/5-general-motorcycle-discussion-forum/392723-getting-p-off-senna.html ) and I followed the directions and it worked for me...(your mileage may vary :p). My only issue is that volume is low, but if you flash the latest firmware for the SM10, if has a new function to increase the overall volume. I have flashed the firrmware yet....just have not had the time and I have not added the iPod.

If you have the iPod connection, you will have the ability to view and select items from your iPod and it will stream to you SMH10's. Keep in mind that intercom function takes priority over all other function so if intercom is active, you may not hear GPS turn by turn or other audio.

If you run into major issues, PM and I will experiment on my setup and report back. (It may take me several days to report back....doing work on the house)

-------------------
From Sena:

We can try to go through the steps remotely to hopefully get you up to speed.

I recommend completing a fault reset on both headsets:

Reset by pushing the pin-hole reset button at the back of the headset main unit. Insert a paper clip into the reset pinhole and press the reset button for a second with light pressure. The SMH10 will be switched off, and you have to turn the system back on and try again.

We can begin by pairing the 1st SMH10 to the SM10:

1. Turn on the Bluetooth headset by pressing the phone button and the jog dial together for 1-2secs until the blue LED come on and thereafter the red LED will briefly flash indicating the charge level (1-4 times) then it will go back to blue LED.
2. Place the Bluetooth headset in phone pairing mode by pressing the phone button down for 5secs until the LED rapidly flashes red and blue.
3. Turn on the SM10.
4. Press the Pairing Button on the SM10 for 5 seconds until the Blue LED is rapidly flashing.
5. The SM10 will detect the Bluetooth headset nearby and connection will be made accordingly.
6. If the first headset is connected, the Blue LED will slowly flash.

Now we are ready to pair the second SMH10 headset to the SM10:

1. Turn on the second Bluetooth headset. (Refer above)
2. Place the second Bluetooth headset in pairing mode (Refer above)
3. Press the Pairing Button for 9 seconds until the Red LED is rapidly flashing.
4. The SM10 will detect the Bluetooth headset nearby and connection will be made accordingly.
5. If the second headset is connected, the Red LED will slowly flash.

Then, you can set-up the intercom between the two units:

1. Turn on the two SMH10 headsets (A and B).
2. Press and hold the Jog Dial of the headset A and B for 5 seconds until red LEDs of the both units start to flash rapidly. You will hear a
voice prompt saying "Intercom pairing".
3. Simply tap the Jog Dial of any one of the two headsets A or B (It doesn't matter that you choose A or B.) and wait until the LEDs of both headsets turn to blue and intercom connection is automatically established. The two SMH10 headsets A and B are paired with each other for intercom conversation. If the pairing process is not completed within one minute, the SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.

Once the above tasks are completed, plug your GPS unit into the "AUX" port and your mobile phone into "Audio In" port.

If you choose to, you can instead pair your headset with your mobile phone, using multi-point pairing. This will allow you to receive phone call on your headset from your phone:

1. Turn on the headset and press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You
will hear a voice prompt saying "Multipoint pairing".
3. Turn on the phone and complete the pairing procedure for it
4. When the pairing is completed, you will hear a voice prompt saying
"Your headset is paired".
5. If the pairing process is not completed within three minutes, the
SMH10 will return to stand-by mode.

Lastly, I want to mention. That for your headset, you may choose to either have your phone in multipairing mode, as above. Or you may chose to have the SM10 in multipairing mode by completing the same exact technique but swapping the devices from GPS to phone.

-------------------------

billybovine
07-31-2013, 11:47 AM
Says, that is can support 4 BT connections and lists the priority.

Bob

Finless you are incorrect. You are confusing intercom devices and BT devices.

First 4 SMH10 headsets can be intercom paired. That means yours can be connected to 3 others, but only talk to one at a time.

Plus each SMH10 headset are capable of multipoint pairing to 2 Bluetooth devices.

finless
07-31-2013, 11:51 AM
Finless you are incorrect. You are confusing intercom devices and BT devices.

First 4 SMH10 headsets can be intercom paired. That means yours can be connected to 3 others, but only talk to one at a time.

Plus each SMH10 headset are capable of multipoint pairing to 2 Bluetooth devices.

If you look at case study #5 in this documentation on page 34

Is shows a Sena SMH10 paired to 3 devices and 1 headset. So looks like is supports more than 2 devices.

Bob

billybovine
07-31-2013, 12:04 PM
If you look at case study #5 in this documentation on page 34

Is shows a Sena SMH10 paired to 3 devices and 1 headset. So looks like is supports more than 2 devices.

Bob

Page 12 and repeated page 13 clearly states only 2 BT devices. I will do some more digging on that one.

jwulf74
07-31-2013, 01:00 PM
I need to play with our Sena setup a bit, but we have our phones paired individually to the headsets and also paired for intercom between the 2. We also have the SM10, though I'm not sure it turns on all the time... the dealer said to just leave it on all the time and it will just run out of battery and recharge when the Spyder is running. I have only had music stream a couple of time and that is it. Though it does seem that if I turn Bluetooth off on my phone, then the music will feed. The intercom works whenever we hit the button to activate it and calls come in and override just fine. Just need to get the music thing figured out... the way the book lays it all out, everything should work just fine. I will probably monkey with it this weekend.

finless
07-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Page 12 and repeated page 13 clearly states only 2 BT devices. I will do some more digging on that one.

I think the confusion is a HFP (Hands free profile) device e.g. a phone with 2 way communications. The SM10 and GPS for instance I don't this is a HFP device.

Bob

finless
07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
I need to play with our Sena setup a bit, but we have our phones paired individually to the headsets and also paired for intercom between the 2. We also have the SM10, though I'm not sure it turns on all the time... the dealer said to just leave it on all the time and it will just run out of battery and recharge when the Spyder is running. I have only had music stream a couple of time and that is it. Though it does seem that if I turn Bluetooth off on my phone, then the music will feed. The intercom works whenever we hit the button to activate it and calls come in and override just fine. Just need to get the music thing figured out... the way the book lays it all out, everything should work just fine. I will probably monkey with it this weekend.

Don't leave it on. If the battery is dead it will take like 15 minutes to get recharged enough before it will pair.
Also sometimes it does not "auto pair" on power on. In that case you just have to push the button on the SM10 to force a re-pair.
What I do is turn on the headsets, then turn on the SM10. Doing it the other way the SM10 might timeout before the headset is powered on.

Bob

Can-Am Poogs
07-31-2013, 01:42 PM

Is this possible???

Thanks

I use this: http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-q1-teamset It lets you add two phones, GPS, FM radio, Bluetooth music devices, intercom, and invite a rider all at the same time and works on a priority system for one component over others. I think if you have the brp dongle, you can link the bikes systems to the wireless systems. Or if you have a lot of money you can by all the brp gear. Good luck.

billybovine
07-31-2013, 02:57 PM
I think the confusion is a HFP (Hands free profile) device e.g. a phone with 2 way communications. The SM10 and GPS for instance I don't this is a HFP device.

Bob

This is the reply I got from Sena

Hello,
Thanks for your email.
All SENA headsets can be paired to two HFP devices and one A2DP device. That's 3 devices.
HFP is used for voice (phone calls and NAV directions)
A2DP is used for music
In case 5, the iPhone is *only* use for voice/phone calls (HFP), the iPod for music (A2DP), and then the GPS voice direction (HFP).
If you use the iPhone for phone calls (HFP) *and* music (A2DP), then you can only connect one other device, a GPS (HFP). As in case 2.
I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Dean
Technical Support Engineer
Sena Technologies, Inc.

That clears it up for me. Only one Stereo music device and two other mono devices.

finless
07-31-2013, 03:14 PM
This is the reply I got from Sena

Hello,
Thanks for your email.
All SENA headsets can be paired to two HFP devices and one A2DP device. That's 3 devices.
HFP is used for voice (phone calls and NAV directions)
A2DP is used for music
In case 5, the iPhone is *only* use for voice/phone calls (HFP), the iPod for music (A2DP), and then the GPS voice direction (HFP).
If you use the iPhone for phone calls (HFP) *and* music (A2DP), then you can only connect one other device, a GPS (HFP). As in case 2.
I hope this helps.
Sincerely,
Dean
Technical Support Engineer
Sena Technologies, Inc.

That clears it up for me. Only one Stereo music device and two other mono devices.

Thanks! That clears that up.
I wonder why a GPS is considered a HFP device?
But the way around that is you plug the GPS via a cable into the AUX of the SM10. The SM10 will then stream any GPS sounds as priority over music. Now this will free up the 2nd HFP device to do so as you please.

So you do this:
1) SM10 connected to BRP Radio via BRP cable or my DIY cable.
2) iPod or MP3 device is hooked to BRP radio via the cable in the trunk of the RT (iPod/MP3 Integration cable).
3) GPS connected to AUX on the SM10
4) Pair helmet 1 to helmet 2 for conferencing.
5) Pair Helmet 1&2 to SM10 for both people hearing music or GPS
6) Pair your phone to helmet 1.
7) Pair a different phone to helmet 2.
8) Optionally you can pair to another HFP device since your using the SM10 for GPS.

This will give you the following:
1) Both helmets will "hear" anything coming from the SM10. That would be music from the BRP radio (includes iPod or MP3 player since that goes into the BRP radio from the integration cable), or GPS sound over-riding music (AUX has a higher priority than BRP radio input at the SM10).
2) Each user can use their own phone BUT cannot hear each others phone.
3) Phone will have priority over SM10 (radio or GPS input from the SM10). Conferencing will have priority over Phone and SM10.

Bob

billybovine
07-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks! That clears that up.
I wonder why a GPS is considered a HFP device?
But the way around that is you plug the GPS via a cable into the AUX of the SM10. The SM10 will then stream any GPS sounds as priority over music. Now this will free up the 2nd HFP device to do so as you please.

So you do this:
1) SM10 connected to BRP Radio via BRP cable or my DIY cable.
2) iPod or MP3 device is hooked to BRP radio via the cable in the trunk of the RT (iPod/MP3 Integration cable).
3) GPS connected to AUX on the SM10
4) Pair helmet 1 to helmet 2 for conferencing.
5) Pair Helmet 1&2 to SM10 for both people hearing music or GPS
6) Pair your phone to helmet 1.
7) Pair a different phone to helmet 2.
8) Optionally you can pair to another HFP device since your using the SM10 for GPS.

This will give you the following:
1) Both helmets will "hear" anything coming from the SM10. That would be music from the BRP radio (includes iPod or MP3 player since that goes into the BRP radio from the integration cable), or GPS sound over-riding music (AUX has a higher priority than BRP radio input at the SM10).
2) Each user can use their own phone BUT cannot hear each others phone.
3) Phone will have priority over SM10 (radio or GPS input from the SM10). Conferencing will have priority over Phone and SM10.

Bob

That appears correct to me. But as a warning the order of the pairing and the type of pairing is very important. If for example I pair my smart phone first, it will pair as a music device and a hands free device both.

AbNormy
07-31-2013, 05:15 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Johnny_Swindle
07-31-2013, 07:03 PM
I would turn the unit off when you are finished riding.....and turn it back on when you are getting ready for the next ride..........that way all functionality will be available as soon as you turn the key.

Desert Spyder
08-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Just for info, you can pair only ONE iOS (Apple) BT device to the Sena. I tried pairing my iPad, which I use for navigation, and iPhone, music and calls, and it wouldn't work. The techs at SENA told me this.

On a related issue, my intercom to my wife will not work most of the time. Hers works fine (lucky me, huh?). The music works fine. The cell phone works fine going out. So that rules out the mic. One time I actually had to call her on the cell phone, while she was sitting behind me, to ask her a question. SENA says I should do a reset on my unit and re-pair. Haven't don e it yet because it started working again....then it didn't. Aaaaaggghhh!

billybovine
08-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Just for info, you can pair only ONE iOS (Apple) BT device to the Sena. I tried pairing my iPad, which I use for navigation, and iPhone, music and calls, and it wouldn't work. The techs at SENA told me this.

That's odd because one of the examples in the users guide shows pairing a Iphone and Ipod at the same time. Maybe it's an Ipad thing. I would try again. Clear the pairings and make sure you pair pair the IPhone first because you want it to be your music device.

gldngolfer
08-01-2013, 07:34 PM
just installed sm-10 and paired to smh-10 headsets. Little confusing getting sm-10 paired but it is sending radio as advertised. No GPS yet but SM-10 designed for that too. SMH-10 headsets handles audio from SM-10, intercom and phones, great system.