PDA

View Full Version : Sena SMH10, SMH10R or Cardo G9

kinggeek
07-20-2013, 07:57 AM
I have a Cardo G4 Powerset that I was using when I was recently caught in a 600 mile deluge of driving rain. Both fail to power on at this time and are 7 months out of warranty so I am trying to decide on a replacement set.

I loved there Cardo G4, I have two possible passengers each with an audio kit in their helmet and we can move the second unit from helmet to helmet which ultimately saves me money since I do not need a total of 3 units.

Other things I have that would be used with the headset:

1. iPhone 5
2. Garmin Zumo 660 wired into the audio system and paired to the iPhone and the chosen headset (Ideally but not required, may need to pair the phone directly to the headset.)
3. Sena SM10 paired to the headsets

I heard from BRP at Spyderfest it is best to disconnect audio from the GPS to the radio to avoid dual output direct tithe headset from both the GPS and the SM10 in the above config.

With my G4 connection to the SM10 at the start of and during each ride was often challenging.

1. Sometimes it took several attempts to power on/off and plug/unplug the SM10 to get it to talk to the G4 when starting a ride.

2. The output from the SM10 was interrupted and killed by the GPS speaking instructions or audio from phone calls requiring me to actually stop and push the button on the SM10 which I would like to avoid.

My gut tells be the Sena headsets might work better with the SM10 because both are Sena but I am not sure this is valid.

I really loved the G4 though and it worked really well for the nearly 3 years I had them the only issues I had was after I got the SM10 and the flakiness mentioned above

I leaning more to the G9 because I have experience with Cardo but I really want the best overall working configuration.

Does anyone have the configuration above with any of the three headsets mentioned in the subject and can you provide details as to your usage experience?

Any connection issues as similar to the above with the described config above?

How is the audio quality/volume for phone/GPS/music while riding at up to highway speeds?

Functionality/use ability while wearing gloves?

Sena SMH10, SMH10R or Cardo G9 which would you buy and why?

I miss my headsets and look forward to getting new I just need a little help in deciding.

Thanks in advance.

kinggeek
07-20-2013, 10:13 AM
I have done a lot of research but am unclear on a few things. This is what I think I need to be able to do to get what I want:

Ideal config:

Headset - A2DP - GPS - HFP - iPhone 5
|
A2DP
|
SM10 - Audio System

OR MAYBE

Headset - HFP - GPS - HFP - iPhone 5
|
A2DP
|
SM10 - Audio System

Optional Config, but what I think will work based on the documentation I have seen.

iPhone
|
HFP
|
Headset
|
A2DP
|
SM10 - Audio System - GPS

DrewNJ
07-20-2013, 11:39 AM
Sena hands down....I've used a few others and sena by far is the way to go IMHO.
Smh10 vs smh10r is a personal preference. I have an R on my helmet and the wife and kids both have the smh10-11 on theirs. Use is almost identical. 10 is more user friendly and easier to use the controls than the r. The r is more streamline and less noticeable. The regular 10 is easier to charge since you can remove it easy from the helmet.
Really comes down to the comfort with form factor more than anything.
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeinGA
07-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Sena SMH10. I been using them for two years, in heavy rain, heat, and cold, never had a problem. I used them on a long trip, 13 hrs. and the batteries still were working after 24 hrs. of being on.

Mike

kinggeek
07-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Sena SMH10. I been using them for two years, in heavy rain, heat, and cold, never had a problem. I used them on a long trip, 13 hrs. and the batteries still were working after 24 hrs. of being on.

Mike

My G4 was the same, flawless, until the deluge!

ARtraveler
07-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Sena hands down....I've used a few others and sena by far is the way to go IMHO.
Smh10 vs smh10r is a personal preference. I have an R on my helmet and the wife and kids both have the smh10-11 on theirs. Use is almost identical. 10 is more user friendly and easier to use the controls than the r. The r is more streamline and less noticeable. The regular 10 is easier to charge since you can remove it easy from the helmet.
Really comes down to the comfort with form factor more than anything.
Doug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. As a SMH10 convert from Scala this year--so far, so good. I do like the less noisy background noise and the "mike open" feature--so I do not have to say something to activate the mics on the Scala.

kinggeek
07-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Agreed. As a SMH10 convert from Scala this year--so far, so good. I do like the less noisy background noise and the "mike open" feature--so I do not have to say something to activate the mics on the Scala.

AKSpyderman,

What about the Sena do you like better than the Scala?

I hear the Sena has superior audio quality but does not have AGC like the Scala which is a feature I really like in that the volume changes with ambient noise. Any issues hearing at hi speeds/ambient noise levels?

Also I do not understand "I do like the less noisy background noise and the "mike open" feature--so I do not have to say something to activate the mics on the Scala." Is the Sena bettor or worse than the Scala?