PDA

View Full Version : handlebars

bullbreck
06-20-2008, 08:43 AM
Anyone modded the bars yet? I'm thinkin I'll either mill out a taller yoke, or modify the bars. Looks like I have about 3 inches of play before I have to lengthen the cables. Just wondering what other people might have done.

Mad Matt
06-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Bullbreck,

My pull back handle bar setup is nearly complete. I have a new center cover that allows basically any 7/8 bars to be mounted. My center cover re-mounts the ignition switch and retains the steering lock function. It also has 3 mount points for GPS, MP3, Cup holders, etc. I will also be making bars with 4 and 5 inches of rise specifically for the Spyder. The bars that are on my yellow spyder right now have 7 inches of rise and all the stock cables work! The first 2 pics shows the new center cover with no extras mounted on it. The third pic shows a GPS on the right, and the Kewlmetal air ride switches on the left. The fourth pic shows the GPS at the bottom center mount point, air ride switches on the left, and cup holder on the right. Whats really nice about mounting bars with some rise is that you can pivot the bars in the top riser clamp foreward or aft to suit your riding position and tighten them down right where you like them. There is ALOT of adjustment capability in this setup with only 1 set of bars. The stock bars have virtually zero adjustability in this regard.

http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/001/CIMG6322.jpg
http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/001/CIMG6325.jpg
http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/001/CIMG6330.jpg
http://www.chromegarage.com/pics/matt/001/CIMG6335.jpg

Mad Matt

Twodog185
06-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Mad Matt...

Please put me on the email list for the center piece...with no external mounts. I'll gladly be the Alabama test case

:a18:

Smylinacha
06-20-2008, 02:32 PM
I got a wishlist for kewlmetal stuff so as soon as I get some cashola, I'm gonna start buying some stuff - I really like these bars!

pphantom538
06-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Like the bar solution as well

Danimal
06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
I just don't like the exposed bar look. If you could incorporate the stock center plate back on them it would keep more of the original look. Could even fabricate a silver or black mounting section that would go between the bars and the stock center plate.. to raise it up and keep the bars covered. Could even have a small storage section inside of it.

It's just too bare looking....

COSpyder
06-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Please hurry with this! I am buying it as soon as it becomes available.

Lamonster
06-21-2008, 05:02 AM
I just don't like the exposed bar look. If you could incorporate the stock center plate back on them it would keep more of the original look. Could even fabricate a silver or black mounting section that would go between the bars and the stock center plate.. to raise it up and keep the bars covered. Could even have a small storage section inside of it.

It's just too bare looking....

Yea I think you've said that a few times. If you don't like it why do you feel the need to keep dising it? Build your own that you do like seeing you seem to be such a handy guy. No need to comment everytime you see a post about these how you don't like them, we got it the first time. ::)

Motza
06-22-2008, 10:46 PM
Love the bars, will they work on the SE-5?

jarhd3
06-23-2008, 04:30 AM
YES!! thehandlebars are SUPER! I would purchase these in a sec.MadMatt you've done it.The bars will definitely make long distance riding much more pleasant.The setup is clean and the extra thought of using all the stock cables is a wonderfull addition! Count me in for a set.What ever the cost it will be worth it!GREAT JOB MADMATT!URRAHH!

NEXUS
06-23-2008, 05:52 AM
You did a great job on the bars count me in when they are available for sale..
:congrats:

Nexus

SpyderBiker
06-23-2008, 06:11 AM
I too love the bars...how soon will these be available? Is it something that the average guy could do himself? Also, what are those things I see in the 3rd picture on your left front wheel and in the 4th picture it's on the right front? Are those lights?

LaughingHeart
06-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Matt,
I want the center console as soon as you have it available. I also want to see your bars with a 5 inch rise.

hevnbound
06-23-2008, 09:10 AM
MATT ...........
* When? - Any idea on eta?
* Cost? - seems like consensus is regardless of cost I want on. However, any idea on $$$?
* Options: Mounts (Zumo mounted w/o the base? Will the base work with the mount?) Color of plate (gloss black?)

Count me in on wanting one and ..... I want it now?!!! ;D

Mad Matt
06-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Wow,

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I am working as fast as I can on this project. I will have a limited quantity to ship in about 3 weeks or so. I am still working on pricing, I don't have all the numbers back from the vendors yet. I am still finalizing the handlebars, I have been test riding several different rise/pull back combinations, and my wife has been testing them also. What is the consesuus on how much rise everyone would like??

Matt

Mad Matt
06-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I too love the bars...how soon will these be available? Is it something that the average guy could do himself? Also, what are those things I see in the 3rd picture on your left front wheel and in the 4th picture it's on the right front? Are those lights?

The bars shoule be available in 3 weeks or so. They are a bit of a job to install. Cables and wires need to be re-routed, and the clutch line will need to be bled. You need to remove the instrument housing to do all this.

The lights are in a seperate thread:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/smf/index.php?topic=1212.msg10032#msg10032

Matt

timpani
06-23-2008, 12:06 PM
I would like as much riseand pull back in the handlebars as you can get out of the bike.

hevnbound
06-23-2008, 01:07 PM
4"

COSpyder
06-23-2008, 01:30 PM
I would also like the max rise available.

pphantom538
06-23-2008, 10:44 PM
3 to 4 "