PDA

View Full Version : APEX Trike Course

Dan McNally
07-19-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm off this afternoon for a hundred mile ride to Woodbridge VA, where I will spend the weekend at a hotel and take a trike course from APEX Cycle Education. I was going to take the MSF Basic Rider Course, locally, but they insisted I take it on one of their two-wheel bikes, which makes no sense, given that I ride a Spyder. The APEX course costs three times as much, but it is tailored for trikes, and that is the education I need. The insurance discount will be nice, but it will be years before I recoup the cost of the course . . . this is more a quest for knowledge that will keep me safe. Temps are in the mid 90's, and thunderstorms are predicted for Saturday and Sunday (when I ride home) so I bought a Camelbak to keep hydrated . . . and have a full set of Frogg Toggs for the rain. Looking forward to the weekend, and having dinner on Saturday with an old friend I flew with in the USAF, many years ago, who lives in Woodbridge. He's a Harley guy, but I'll still ride with him!:D

lookerjdc
07-19-2013, 10:41 AM
good for you:clap:

enjoy the course and make sure you get any and all questions you might have answered

last year I did the MSF course (as a refresher since I hadnt ridden in a while) and discovered that, I just cant support a 2 wheeler any more.... I just turned 60..

so I went with the Spyder and then took a 3 wheel course and it was much more fun and much more informative

CurtG
07-19-2013, 03:19 PM
I'd be curious to know if they do a side car course. I'd like to get Linda and the Ural into one and there is nothing locally.

Ride safe,

lookerjdc
07-19-2013, 03:29 PM
the trike course I took included side car stuff (and they had a sidecar bike we could ride on to practice)

I dont know if its part of all trike courses, but it might be...

CurtG
07-19-2013, 03:33 PM
the trike course I took included side car stuff (and they had a sidecar bike we could ride on to practice)

I dont know if its part of all trike courses, but it might be...

Did you do yours in Florida or elsewhere?

Ride safe,

lookerjdc
07-19-2013, 03:46 PM
did mine in Florida

http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org/sidecar-training/step-national-schedule-training-locations/

Topshotta
07-19-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm off this afternoon for a hundred mile ride to Woodbridge VA, where I will spend the weekend at a hotel and take a trike course from APEX Cycle Education. I was going to take the MSF Basic Rider Course, locally, but they insisted I take it on one of their two-wheel bikes, which makes no sense, given that I ride a Spyder. The APEX course costs three times as much, but it is tailored for trikes, and that is the education I need. The insurance discount will be nice, but it will be years before I recoup the cost of the course . . . this is more a quest for knowledge that will keep me safe. Temps are in the mid 90's, and thunderstorms are predicted for Saturday and Sunday (when I ride home) so I bought a Camelbak to keep hydrated . . . and have a full set of Frogg Toggs for the rain. Looking forward to the weekend, and having dinner on Saturday with an old friend I flew with in the USAF, many years ago, who lives in Woodbridge. He's a Harley guy, but I'll still ride with him!:D

I did my three course in Woodbridge. I would not worry about the thunderstorm unless its a 60% plus chance. I would worry about the heat. Stay hydrated.

ARCTIC
07-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Dumb question and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this BUT... what could you possibly need to learn to ride a spyder? I can understand a trike like a Harley or goldwing takes some caution to keep it upright

Topshotta
07-19-2013, 03:59 PM
I'd be curious to know if they do a side car course. I'd like to get Linda and the Ural into one and there is nothing locally.

Ride safe,

When I did mine with Apex, there was one side car and two Harley trike conversions, the others were all spyders.

Topshotta
07-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Dumb question and I'm sure I'll get flamed for this BUT... what could you possibly need to learn to ride a spyder? I can understand a trike like a Harley or goldwing takes some caution to keep it upright

I can't speak for others because I wanted to learn about the safety features of the spyder in a controlled setting, discount for my insurance, plus the last time I did a safety course was 13 years ago. You can never be too safe.

Spyder_Cowgirl
07-19-2013, 04:50 PM
I can't speak for others because I wanted to learn about the safety features of the spyder in a controlled setting, discount for my insurance, plus the last time I did a safety course was 13 years ago. You can never be too safe.

:agree: I took the MSF Trike class just a month ago at the local Harley dealership (two Spyders, two Harleys ... class was all women). I consider myself a somewhat experienced rider with over 200K miles on three different two wheelers. :yikes: But, an accident on two wheels 20 years ago put me off riding until last year when spydercowboy and I bought the Spyder as an option for him since he has a severely compromised right ankle after his own major crash in January 2012. Spydercowboy accuses me of "stealing" the spyder from him nojoke as I've ridden it more than he has. Anyway, even with that many miles behind me I still have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I ride and was worried that it would cause some hesitation (which can kill you on a bike). The class teaches very good techniques in terms of how to control the machine in corners, brake safely, how to swerve around objects suddenly and in control, but most importantly ... how to Search / Evaluate / Execute (SEE) around you at all times (this is drilled throughout the course).

After taking the course, the sick feeling is still there but with concentration on SEEing around me I am able to manage it without causing hesitation. I actually hope I never lose that little bit of dread as I think it just might keep me from getting over confident (which can also kill you on a bike).

I think the three wheeled class is worth it even for the most experienced rider -- many of whom, I would bet, have forgotten more techniques than the class actually teaches. It's a good refresher to help any rider pay just a little more attention to their surroundings.

Ride safe ... Ann

SpyderAnn01
07-19-2013, 08:50 PM
Enjoy the course and I hope the weather cooperates for you.