PDA

View Full Version : More Brake Woes

daddydarko
06-19-2008, 09:28 PM
I recently had my rear pad replaced by my dealer to resolve the brake squeak issue. For three weeks, I had no squeaking whatsoever.

It's back. I'm not happy to say the least. BRP needs to fix this yesterday.

I'm also getting a lot of brake dust on my front rims. Anyone else?

Trap
06-20-2008, 06:08 AM
Yeah I noticed a gathering of dust on the wheels so here's my questiopn. I have replaced the pads on my car and truck with ceramic pads and the dust has been minimal, can one find pads for the Spyder that will reduce the dust? Did I say that right? :spyder: ::)

NancysToy
06-20-2008, 06:52 AM
Every bike with disk brakes I have owned got scads of brake dust on the wheels. I don't think it is any more than a car would shed, but the pretty part of the car wheels is mostly inward, so it doesn't collect there and show as much. Overall, brake pad wear on my bikes has been very normal. Got over 20K miles on the fronts on my BMW last time, and they weren't new when I got the bike. I wouldn't worry, just clean them frequently. If they make dust, they are doing their job.
-Scotty

kbarnet5
06-20-2008, 07:13 AM
Yeah my brakes been doing the same.... I went out for a drive and just constantly used my brakes, really seem to get rid of the squeek... I notice when the breaks get hot in traffic the squeeking is the worst.

LittleJohn
06-20-2008, 07:55 AM
The thing about brakes is this. If they are doin their job you either get
A) Brake pad dust on your wheels and rotors
or
B) Rotor dust/shavings on your brake pads and wheels.

With all the heat and friction, somethins gotta wear. You can get harder pads, but guess whats gonna wear then. You decide which is cheaper and more efficient to replace.

tatt2r
06-20-2008, 09:56 AM
my dealer took pads off and beveled them in at a slight angle ....it's been 2 weeks and squeek is about 90% gone much better still not completely gone but more tolerable

Danimal
06-20-2008, 10:37 AM
It is my understanding that the brake dust actually acts like a lubercant......

daddydarko
06-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Brake dust aside, I contacted BRP today and sounds like they are going to take care of my continued brake squeak issues through the dealer. I'll be sure to post the resolution.

In the meantime, it can't hurt to contact BRP if you have the same problem.

bjt
06-20-2008, 05:01 PM
I wonder if this only happens on some Spyders or are some people more sensitive to it? I have very minimal squeaking of the brakes when I come to a stop. It only starts squeaking when I get down to 5 mph or so, just at the very end of stopping. I don't think it's a big deal but maybe I'm more deaf to it than others.

daddydarko
06-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I wonder if this only happens on some Spyders or are some people more sensitive to it? I have very minimal squeaking of the brakes when I come to a stop. It only starts squeaking when I get down to 5 mph or so, just at the very end of stopping. I don't think it's a big deal but maybe I'm more deaf to it than others.

I wonder if it's only the first xx Spyders. Maybe later models off the production line don't have the problem? Anyway, if you have the squeak I have, there's no ignoring it. It's way too loud.

NancysToy
06-20-2008, 07:46 PM
In the meantime, it can't hurt to contact BRP if you have the same problem.

Don't know how you managed that. I tried to contact them about warranty problems my dealer seems to be ignoring, and they have been silent. Standard answer, "Check with your dealer." I am tired of the run around!
-Scotty

trikester
06-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Brake squeal isn't all bad. Scared a mountain lion out of the road once when my mountain bike brakes squealed.

Frank

bjt
06-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Brake squeal isn't all bad. Scared a mountain lion out of the road once when my mountain bike brakes squealed.

Frank

So it could be considered an undocumented safety feature. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Winks/wink-3.gif

trikester
06-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Good one! ;D : :bigthumbsup: :agree:

spickus
06-21-2008, 12:11 PM
When mine begin to squeal, I do a panic stop from about 50 MPH and they're quiet for a week.