PDA

View Full Version : first oil change (prior to 625 miles)

Sopher
06-19-2008, 04:25 PM
I had every intention of changing my oil at 50 miles as some people state as good measure when breaking in an engine. However, I could stay off my bike 8) and now I have 270 miles.
I have the factor BRP oil (5 qts), filter, washer and o-ring.
Do I do the oil change NOW? or wait until the dealer can do it at 625 miles? Can we have POLL please?

My reasoning for early oil change was to remove the engine particles as a result of breaking in.

NancysToy
06-19-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd wait. Good filter on the motor, and synthetic oil inside. Dealer was out of filters when 625 came up for ours. Said to just wait. We got a filter elsewhere, and changed at about 750, but looked like it could have gone longer. Dealer wasn't the least bit concerned. BTW, Spyder take 4 quarts, as I recall. Don't overfill.
-Scotty

bjt
06-20-2008, 05:34 PM
:agree:

I just read an article talking about the 3,000 mile oil change. They said that 3,000 miles was started back when motor oils didn't have the sophisticated additives that todays oils do, not to mention synthetic and semi-synthetic blends. Also, many of todays late model cars have oil change sensors and computers that tell you when to change the oil. They calculate oil life based on engine temps, recorded driving stats, etc. and tell you when to change the oil. On the CTS that I used to own, the oil change indicator would come on at 5,000 miles or more. Still, every oil change place I went to would tell me to come back in 3,000 miles. ::) At $75 per oil change for 6 quarts of synthetic, I saved a bit of money by following the cars instructions and not the oil change jockey's. ;D

NancysToy
06-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Today's oils, and today's engines are amazing. Most cars can easily handle 5,000 mile or better changes, even without synthetic oils. Nancy's HHR has the meter that calculates oil life, and at 5K it usually shows only about half used up. 3,000 mile changes for cars that have tight engines, and modern oil are a rip off...or at least a waste of precious oil.

Some bikes can handle the same treatment. BMW's motorcycle recommendation is for changes every 6,000 miles, and they are absolutely anal about maintenance on those babies. Still, with a wet clutch, like the Spyder has, a common transmission oil supply, and the higher temp operation most of us have experienced, I am reluctant to stretch things out much past the 3,000 miles BRP engineers have specified. For warranty purposes I can't, anyway. The conditions I have cited all lead to more oil contamination and degradation, even if the engine is modern enough not to get a lot of combustion by-products into the oil past the rings. Contamination kills oil, which kills engines. Better safe than sorry. False economy to save $75 worth of oil and filter but potentially ruin a $15,000 machine. I know there are some here that have stretched out the oil changes with good success, I am just unwilling to take the chance.
-Scotty

bjt
06-21-2008, 07:51 AM

I agree with Scotty once again. I wasn't recommending a 5,000 mile oil change schedule for the Spyder. I only meant to point out that, with todays oils, stretching it a little bit isn't going to be a big issue. I had my first service done at about 850 miles and the service manager didn't tell me that my warranty was now void or anything like that. (I will ask next time I see him just to be sure. ;D )

NancysToy
06-21-2008, 12:35 PM

I agree with Scotty once again. I wasn't recommending a 5,000 mile oil change schedule for the Spyder. I only meant to point out that, with todays oils, stretching it a little bit isn't going to be a big issue. I had my first service done at about 850 miles and the service manager didn't tell me that my warranty was now void or anything like that. (I will ask next time I see him just to be sure. ;D )

Totally agree!!! You could probably go twice the recommended distance on an oil change, without difficulty. I would just be uncomfortable doing it on a regular and repeated basis. Didn't figure you were recommending any different. I know you guys take good care of your babies.
-Scotty

Sopher
06-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I think your missing my original intent on the question;

Most engines have shavings or particles left over form the mfg process. One school of thought is to change the oil very ealy to clean out that crap. Some say even at 50 miles. I have 270. Should I change my oil or not?

I do agree about the 5000 or so for normal oil changes. I change my Toyota 4Runner at about 4500-5000.

But this post is about the very first oil change. Anything different about the oil from the factor than the stock BRP oil from the ports counter?

Lamonster
06-22-2008, 06:36 AM
I think your missing my original intent on the question;

Most engines have shavings or particles left over form the mfg process. One school of thought is to change the oil very ealy to clean out that crap. Some say even at 50 miles. I have 270. Should I change my oil or not?

I do agree about the 5000 or so for normal oil changes. I change my Toyota 4Runner at about 4500-5000.

But this post is about the very first oil change. Anything different about the oil from the factor than the stock BRP oil from the ports counter?

I would do what makes you feel good. I've never kept anything long enough to wear out the motor yet so for me it's not a big deal. I had to drive home 800 miles before I changed oil. ::)

If you want to do your own "Myth Busters" on shavings or particles left over form the mfg process just buy one of these kits and see what they say. https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oai.aspx

https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/images/oai_kit_900px.jpg

NancysToy
06-22-2008, 06:52 AM
I understand your concern, but I would not worry about it. From what I have learned, the break-in oil is the exactly same spec as the normal oil. Synthetic BRP oil, with no extra additives. BMW recommends an early oil change (1,000 miles?) because they use mineral oil for break-in, and recommend a switch to synthetic after the rings wear in. BRP doesn't think the mineral oil start-up is necessary. That means BRP's intent with the 625 mile oil change is mainly to get rid of any stray particles, before they might overwhelm the filter (or magnets?). This is exactly what you are thinking, but their engineeers think you can go much farther. Our first oil change was at about 800 miles, and it was clean, with no obvious particles. Today's engine building is done under immaculate cleanlines, so there should be no contamination particles. The filtration systems on modern engines capture almost everything these days. Like Lamonster said, I would do what makes you feel good, but I really don't think it is necessary.
-Scotty