PDA

View Full Version : gs, rs speaker pods

coz
07-16-2013, 06:27 PM
i'm making some speaker pods for my gs. each pod will contain a 5 1/4 two way speaker, and a generic 3 '' speaker that i've been using, that was in a housing ( dwg / shark ). the large housing is a 4" pvc pipe coupling, the smaller is 3" pvc pipe. they will mount over the dash vents, with a 1/4 inch bolt thru a lower vent hole. the back side of the pods is padded, as to not cause any damage to the dash area.
the two pod sections are bolted together. i expect this set-up will sound pretty good, paired with a pioneer head unit in the trunk. here are some pics of early stages and mock -up.

ARCTIC
07-16-2013, 06:59 PM
That pic is ​tiny

coz
07-16-2013, 07:08 PM
the easy way to do this is to just do the 5 1/4 pods by themselves, with a quality speaker. they sounded just fine on my bagger. since i had the 3" i just decided to use them too. if it ends up looking strange, the 3" are easily removed. the mounting bracket is a mild steel "L'' bracket, pounded into the correct configuration, and thru bolted to the plastic housing. i'll up date as things progress.

Chupaca
07-16-2013, 10:45 PM
will wait for the final results. It is looking good and seems parts are readily available..:2thumbs:

DrewNJ
07-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Looking real good! Keep it going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coz
07-17-2013, 06:29 PM
trying to do a little each nite. very hot here this week. should be able to paint tomorrow.

jwulf74
07-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Are you sealing the back at all? I couldn't tell from viewing on my phone...

coz
07-18-2013, 03:51 PM
i'll be closing up the backs, whatever can be seen from the front, with black plastic.

napper39
07-18-2013, 04:19 PM
looks like it sould be good,heres one of my sound system ,i can change it from the harley to the spyder in 10 min.sounds good.did somebody say p.v.c.:2thumbs:

coz
07-18-2013, 05:50 PM
looks like it sould be good,heres one of my sound system ,i can change it from the harley to the spyder in 10 min.sounds good.did somebody say p.v.c.:2thumbs:
yes they did :roflblack:. just got the paint done. it's so humid here it may take a week to dry:shocked:
didn't like the satin black, re-painted with hammered black. hope to assemble tomorrow. the hammered black didn't hammer. waiting for the fourth paint job to dry. i think most 5 1/4 speakers will drop right into a 4 '' pvc coupling.the outer flange of the speaker should rest on the top edge of the plastic. my particular speakers have four mounting tabs, which i cut off with a tinsnip. these four spots will be covered by the speaker grill.i'll take more pics tomorrow to show what i'm talking about.

coz
07-24-2013, 06:52 PM
here's a couple pics showing the depth of the speaker/ housing, and how the speaker lays in the housing.
and a couple pics of the finished product. i'm still not happy with the paint. i'll probably shoot them flat black in the future. i used male/ female connectors on the wires inside the dash, so they are easily removed for future modifications.

coz
07-24-2013, 06:55 PM
forgot one. feel free to post or pm with any questions. overkill? absolutely ,but they sound REALLY, REALLY good. :thumbup: i'll try to get dave n teddy to make a video, so you can hear it. i had my son program the radio correctly, i had no idea how good it is.

Orange monster
07-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Man that looks really good! I need to figure out a way to make this work without the head unit. I'm thinking small amp with 3.5m cable to my iPod. Could mount the amp in the frunk and wire the cable up tp the dash where the iPod would be mounted.

DrewNJ
07-24-2013, 07:51 PM
HOLY COW! That looks fantastic! That's gotta sound great too...:thumbup:

lookerjdc
07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
couple of questions:

1) how are you closing the rear of the 'enclosures'
2) how are you attaching the speakers to the pvc enclosures?
3) how are you sealing the enclosures to waterproof them?

coz
07-24-2013, 10:30 PM
couple of questions:

1) how are you closing the rear of the 'enclosures'
2) how are you attaching the speakers to the pvc enclosures?
3) how are you sealing the enclosures to waterproof them?the backsides are closed up with textured black plastic sheet. about 1/16 thick
the speakers are glued into the housings, with hobbyshop superglue, and accelerator.
they aren't really waterproof, but they are cheap enough to replace if you had to. you could put a plastic bag over the whole pod, if you got caught out in the rain. ( i try really hard not to ) or you could just use marine speakers.:thumbup: you could just as easily use silicone caulk to mount the speakers into the housings. i did to attatch the grills to the speakers.

coz
07-24-2013, 10:33 PM
HOLY COW! That looks fantastic! That's gotta sound great too...:thumbup: thanks doug. not bad for a hack, huh?:roflblack: they sound better than they look:thumbup:

lookerjdc
07-24-2013, 11:14 PM
the backsides are closed up with textured black plastic sheet. about 1/16 thick
the speakers are glued into the housings, with hobbyshop superglue, and accelerator.
they aren't really waterproof, but they are cheap enough to replace if you had to. you could put a plastic bag over the whole pod, if you got caught out in the rain. ( i try really hard not to ) or you could just use marine speakers.:thumbup: you could just as easily use silicone caulk to mount the speakers into the housings. i did to attatch the grills to the speakers.

thanks

really nice setup

I bet the sound is good....

hchays
07-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Coz, The speakers look really good! Now you have my creative mind working overtime thinking about how i would like to do a sound system on my Spyder (damn you)........ lol:thumbup:

coz
07-26-2013, 04:55 PM
QUOTE=hchays;662391]Coz, The speakers look really good! Now you have my creative mind working overtime thinking about how i would like to do a sound system on my Spyder (damn you)........ lol:thumbup:[/QUOTE]
it's my curse, h. i can't help it. you don't have to spend two grand to have a good system. it can be done for two hundred.

juliantrost
07-26-2013, 07:04 PM
Looks amazing!!!

Orange monster
07-26-2013, 08:01 PM
This post has really got me thinking so I went looking for an amp that wouldn't require the headunit and found this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206PXIB502/Kicker-40PXIBT50-2.html

love the Bluetooth feature and the remote that could be mounted to the dash. This would allow me to keep the phone in my pocket and stream the music to the amp on short trips where charging the phone is not necessary.

coz
09-20-2013, 07:45 PM
just wondering if anybody else has made their own speaker pods. i'd love to see some pics if you have:thumbup:

Ogre
09-26-2013, 01:45 PM
While not for the spyder (yet) when my Zuki C50 died I was working on an enclosure for some spare 6 1/2" speakers I had laying around. Scrap Luann (counter top), Scrap vinyl flooring and some dowels, covering the whole thing with fiberglass. No pics yet as it is hideous looking right now. But I have a mini amp I got from ebay and use some cheapo helmet bluetooth receivers wired into the amp to pick up my Iphones signal. I use it on the back porch right now hidden under the work bench. But, I like your idea a lot! I just coudnt find anything that my 6 1/2 inch pioneers would fit.
Worked great for the one day I was able to ride after making it LOL now to figure out how to mount it when I get my Spyder (IF I can get one)

coz
09-26-2013, 03:35 PM
your 6+1/2 speakers might fit in a 6 '' pvc coupling. you would have to just buy one and try it. it would mount the same way as i did mine.:thumbup:

Dan-Am
09-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Love it! Nice innovative thinking!!! Gotta have SpyderJams! :2thumbs:

coz
09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
that means alot, coming from the owner of such a tricked out ride.:thumbup: love the white !