PDA

View Full Version : ST Ride adjustment help needed

Spyder Tony
07-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I have a Spyder ST Limited and took my girlfriend on the back for her first ride last Sunday. The first thing I noticed was the "mushy" feel of the bike with the extra passenger. the turns seemed to "roll", and the overall feel was spongy. I played with the tire pressure and settled on 17 PSI up front and 25 PSI in the rear. I vaguely remember reading/hearing something about being able to adjust the mono-shock on the ST, but have no idea how. i'd like to stiffen up the ride to handle 2 passengers better.

1) Has anyone else noticed an additional spongy feel to the handling when riding 2 people on a Spyder?

2) Has anyone adjusted the shock for additional stiffness, and if so, was the outcome favorable?

3) How do I adjust the mono-shock? Special tools needed?

Thanks in advance for the help/comments Spyder Community!!!

ARtraveler
07-16-2013, 05:00 PM
The mechanical experts will come.

I am not an ST owner so cannot give you the fine points on that one. Most recommend checking tire pressures and shock adjustments.

There has been a lot of discussion on tire pressures for the new ST's--so will let an ST person answer that.

I believe there is no adjustment on the ST shocks--but also may be wrong on that too.

A little more time and you should have some good answers or suggestions.

Bob Denman
07-16-2013, 05:15 PM
There is a section in the owner's manual explaining exactly how to adjust the rear suspension...
As an RT owner; I haven't seen it myself :opps:, but it's there..
I believe that the rear shock has a stepped ring that is rotated around the shock body to adjust the shock preload.
Rhe tool is in your supplied toolkit...:thumbup:

Chupaca
07-16-2013, 05:28 PM
but RS and RSS have a spanner wrench to adjust the rear shock. There is a ring on the bottom of the shock with stepped notches. The front shocks on yours are doubled ringed and you adjust the spring length. Manual has pictures.....stiffen it up and ryde again..!! :ohyea:

Bob Denman
07-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks Chu! :thumbup:
I knew that you'd have the procedure for him! :clap:

DrewNJ
07-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Don't know about the 13' ST's but I wanted some adjustability on my 12' RS and wasn't happy with having to adjust the "ring" on the shock everytime I have a passenger. So what I did was adapt the manual airbag for the RT into my RS. I've run with this system for awhile now and really like it. My adjustments are: Riding solo I have the stock "Ring" down 2 settings from it's stiffest position and the airbag at 10-15psi. When riding 2 up I stiffen the airbag up to 30-35psi.
The ride is fantastic either way.:thumbup: I "may" add a compressor setup later...maybe...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?44847-RS-Air-Suspension

Good Luck
Doug

Spyder Tony
07-17-2013, 10:52 AM
but RS and RSS have a spanner wrench to adjust the rear shock. There is a ring on the bottom of the shock with stepped notches. The front shocks on yours are doubled ringed and you adjust the spring length. Manual has pictures.....stiffen it up and ryde again..!! :ohyea:

Thanks guys!!! you all don't know how much I depend on the sage advice and wisdom that comes from this forum. Chupaca, Askspyderman, Bob, DrewNJ...you guys rock!!!

DrewNJ...that air suspension is insane!!!
I seriously want to try that, but am unsure whether or not I want to attempt to mod my '13 Spyder myself for fear of jacking something up. I wonder if I purchase all the materials, if the local dealership here would do the install (maybe i'll even print out your how-to for them).

Bob Ledford
07-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I wonder if I purchase all the materials, if the local dealership here would do the install (maybe i'll even print out your how-to for them).

Y OU WILL NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU ASK!

DrewNJ
07-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Thanks guys!!! you all don't know how much I depend on the sage advice and wisdom that comes from this forum. Chupaca, Askspyderman, Bob, DrewNJ...you guys rock!!!

DrewNJ...that air suspension is insane!!!
I seriously want to try that, but am unsure whether or not I want to attempt to mod my '13 Spyder myself for fear of jacking something up. I wonder if I purchase all the materials, if the local dealership here would do the install (maybe i'll even print out your how-to for them).

There was very little to mod really. The bag and brackets bolt right in. You just have to figure out where to put the air schrader valve to pump it up. Honestly, my modding consisted of drilling one hole in the sport rack...haha.:thumbup:

Spyder Tony
07-17-2013, 09:52 PM
There was very little to mod really. The bag and brackets bolt right in. You just have to figure out where to put the air schrader valve to pump it up. Honestly, my modding consisted of drilling one hole in the sport rack...haha.:thumbup:

This may be a pretty rudimentary question, but I didn't see the price of the airbag itself in your parts cost list...was it the Air Dampener? I have decided that this is definitely the way for me to go, and your additional comments about the ease has me thinking I can pull it off myself afterall :2thumbs:

DrewNJ
07-18-2013, 07:03 AM
This may be a pretty rudimentary question, but I didn't see the price of the airbag itself in your parts cost list...was it the Air Dampener? I have decided that this is definitely the way for me to go, and your additional comments about the ease has me thinking I can pull it off myself afterall :2thumbs:

Correct. The air dampener is the airbag. I was amazed at how cheap all the parts were...:D

daveinva
07-18-2013, 07:24 AM
Wait, people adjust their rear shocks on the RS??

I had the dealer put mine up to stop 5 before I took delivery. Never messed with it since. ;)

billybovine
07-18-2013, 07:54 AM
On all 2013 models the suspension is not adjustable, except RT's with a rear air bag. There is no wrench in the tool kit and no adjuster on the shocks.

Rear air bag suspension is not an option listed for the ST. I was doing some work on my ST Limited and found the wiring for the air suspension components tied up in a bundle above the rear shock.

quickster47
07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
I would guess they now use the same wiring harness for all three models only attaching those components used on specific models.

Carl

Jharpo
07-18-2013, 02:16 PM
It is my understanding that the ST-S has adjustable shocks but the ST Limited does not.

billybovine
07-18-2013, 05:48 PM
I would guess they now use the same wiring harness for all three models only attaching those components used on specific models.

Carl

You may be right but none of the extra wires or plugs appear on the wiring diagram.

billybovine
07-18-2013, 05:59 PM
It is my understanding that the ST-S has adjustable shocks but the ST Limited does not.

Well you made me recheck my info and we are both wrong. The RS-S has adjustable front shocks. None of the ST's are adjustable. Some of the RT's are air adjustable rear shock.

Spyder Tony
07-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Correct. The air dampener is the airbag. I was amazed at how cheap all the parts were...:D

Amazing how low The parts total is.

I have noticed the dash of my ST LTD has a space for 2 switches on the right side. I got the limited so it would come with all the bells & whistles. One day when my bike was being serviced, I was looking at a RT limited and noticed the blank switches on mine were the ride adjustment and something else on that model. I then knew they used universal parts on all of the bikes, but did not always use all of the various components of those parts.

PW2013STL
07-19-2013, 01:49 PM
Amazing how low The parts total is.

I have noticed the dash of my ST LTD has a space for 2 switches on the right side. I got the limited so it would come with all the bells & whistles. One day when my bike was being serviced, I was looking at a RT limited and noticed the blank switches on mine were the ride adjustment and something else on that model. I then knew they used universal parts on all of the bikes, but did not always use all of the various components of those parts.

The other blank (far right) is for the fog light switch. If you install the fog lights the switch plugs in to the wire connector that is attached to the bottom of the blank plug. The other blank has the connector for the air compressor.

Spyder Tony
07-19-2013, 09:38 PM
The other blank (far right) is for the fog light switch. If you install the fog lights the switch plugs in to the wire connector that is attached to the bottom of the blank plug. The other blank has the connector for the air compressor.

Good to know, PW13STL!!!
Sounds like my Fog Lights and Airbag wishlist may be realized sooner than i initially thought:yes: