PDA

View Full Version : Bars & Links Update

BajaRon
07-16-2013, 08:22 AM
The 2013 RS/RSS/ST/STS/ST Ltd. bars go to the powdercoaters tomorrow. A bit behind schedule but we're making progress.

The Heim joint link components are due to arrive late today and I will start making these up tomorrow. The spacers for these link kits are all that is lacking and they are due in on Thursday. I should have several links fabbed up by the time the spacers arrive and I will be able to ship these as soon as the UPS man brings the spacers.

I am pretty excited about these link kits. This is a project that I've put off for quite some time because I knew it would take some leg work to get it right. In my initial research efforts, around the end of last year, I was having trouble finding some of the components needed to make these work properly. Sure, you can get anything you want custom fabricated, but that REALLY drives the price up.

I appreciate all the support and great input I receive here at Spyderlovers. Without all of you chipping in, I would not be able to gather the information needed to get things right the first time. :thumbup:

Magdave
07-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your hard work:2thumbs: I was just talking with my service manager about you. He has a couple who traded their 2011RT for a 13 and are complaining about the cornering with the new setup being soft. They are a large couple and notice a lot more tilt in the corners. He said he did not think the new shocks would fix their issue so I pointed him towards your sway bars. Good to know the 2013 version is almost ready it might end up being a hot item with the loss of adjustability of the 2013 front shocks.

Bob Denman
07-16-2013, 12:13 PM
:agree: Thanks! :thumbup:

Questions
07-16-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for your hard work:2thumbs: I was just talking with my service manager about you. He has a couple who traded their 2011RT for a 13 and are complaining about the cornering with the new setup being soft. They are a large couple and notice a lot more tilt in the corners. He said he did not think the new shocks would fix their issue so I pointed him towards your sway bars. Good to know the 2013 version is almost ready it might end up being a hot item with the loss of adjustability of the 2013 front shocks.

We're a 'big couple' on a 2011 RTS and can confirm that all that weight high up certainly raises the centre of gravity a lot and makes cornering very uncomfortable. Size does matter :D

An uprated sway bar made a huge difference.

BajaRon
07-16-2013, 01:00 PM

I've got the custom sway bar for the 2013 RT models ready to ship. It is the 2013 RS, RSS, ST, STS, and ST Ltd. bar that I don't quite have done yet.

I think the sway bar would go a long way towards helping this couple. A better set of shocks would ice the cake. I still don't understand how 1 shock setting can take care of everything from a 110 lady rider to (2) 250+ riders with loaded bags.

A tip that all RT owners may already know to improve handling is;

Load heavy items in the Frunk;
Load the side bags with less heavy items;
Load the top bag with the lightest items.

The rule of thumb is to keep the weight biased towards the front and as low as you can.

TexasSpyder
07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
The 2013 RS/RSS/ST/STS/ST Ltd. bars go to the powdercoaters tomorrow. A bit behind schedule but we're making progress.

The Heim joint link components are due to arrive late today and I will start making these up tomorrow. The spacers for these link kits are all that is lacking and they are due in on Thursday. I should have several links fabbed up by the time the spacers arrive and I will be able to ship these as soon as the UPS man brings the spacers.

I am pretty excited about these link kits. This is a project that I've put off for quite some time because I knew it would take some leg work to get it right. In my initial research efforts, around the end of last year, I was having trouble finding some of the components needed to make these work properly. Sure, you can get anything you want custom fabricated, but that REALLY drives the price up.

I appreciate all the support and great input I receive here at Spyderlovers. Without all of you chipping in, I would not be able to gather the information needed to get things right the first time. :thumbup:

What will you be charging for the Heim joint links?

J. D.

ThreeWheels
07-16-2013, 08:33 PM

J. D.

Did I miss the post ?
I'd be interested in a set also for a 2010 RTSM5 with your upgraded sway bar.
Thanks.

MikeinGA
07-16-2013, 09:52 PM
If BajaRon's new Anti-sway bar works as good as mine on my 2011 RS-S, it will improve your body roll to almost nothing. It's the best upgrade I have made so far. I even bought a used set of 2012 RT shocks with low mileage last fall that I was going to put on and didn't need them. This spring my right shock went bad, so I installed the RT shocks and at #2 setting they work like the RS-S shock did #5 setting. Everything I bought from BajaRon was much better quality than the BRP parts.

Mike

Chupaca
07-16-2013, 10:04 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

BajaRon
07-16-2013, 10:35 PM

J. D.

This first run will be $65.00 delivered and then I will take another look at everything to see if I can keep the price there.

These are looking AWESOME! Very pleased.

Did I miss the post ?
I'd be interested in a set also for a 2010 RTSM5 with your upgraded sway bar.
Thanks.

These custom Hiem joint links will work with any bar, custom or stock, on any Spyder, 2008~2013. If you would like a set just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

I will have some sets ready to ship out tomorrow if all goes well. I just want to be sure they are going to work as planned before I give official notice that they are ready to go.

gottago
07-16-2013, 10:46 PM
I've got the custom sway bar for the 2013 RT models ready to ship. It is the 2013 RS, RSS, ST, STS, and ST Ltd. bar that I don't quite have done yet.

I think the sway bar would go a long way towards helping this couple. A better set of shocks would ice the cake. I still don't understand how 1 shock setting can take care of everything from a 110 lady rider to (2) 250+ riders with loaded bags.

A tip that all RT owners may already know to improve handling is;

Load heavy items in the Frunk;
Load the side bags with less heavy items;
Load the top bag with the lightest items.

The rule of thumb is to keep the weight biased towards the front and as low as you can. Thanks for all your hard work. My 2013 rts cant wait. looking forward to getting every thing squared away before Bucket List Road Trip starts. YOU THE MAN!!!:bowdown::bowdown:

Magdave
07-16-2013, 10:50 PM
This first run will be $65.00 delivered and then I will take another look at everything to see if I can keep the price there.

These are looking AWESOME! Very pleased.

These custom Hiem joint links will work with any bar, custom or stock, on any Spyder, 2008~2013. If you would like a set just email me at fyredad@hotmail.com

I will have some sets ready to ship out tomorrow if all goes well. I just want to be sure they are going to work as planned before I give official notice that they are ready to go.

I am on the reserved list for the links but want to add a 2013 RT sway bar to it. I sent you an email.

Bob Denman
07-17-2013, 06:40 AM
Ron,
$65?
I'll hit PayPal today for you... :thumbup:

BajaRon
07-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Ron,
$65?
I'll hit PayPal today for you... :thumbup:

I am fabbing them up right now and I will be installing 1 set on a pre-2013 RS and an STS today. Once I do that and confirm that everything is good then we'll get to the money part. It won't be long now!

Biosafena
07-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Tick-tock! Can't wait! These are gonna be great and worth every penny! :):):)

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....

RidersInChrist
07-17-2013, 07:57 AM

question for u.i have a 2012 RT spyder and i was wanting to know how much different ur sway bar would be compare to the factory one i have on there.???..what does ur sway bar do different from the one that i have " factory ". and also what is the price on a sway bar??
thanks
chuck

BajaRon
07-17-2013, 03:28 PM
question for u.i have a 2012 RT spyder and i was wanting to know how much different ur sway bar would be compare to the factory one i have on there.???..what does ur sway bar do different from the one that i have " factory ". and also what is the price on a sway bar??
thanks
chuck

The effect of my custom sway bar is pretty well documented in a number of threads here on Spyderlovers. You can do a search for 'Sway Bar' and see what owners say.

Yes, the Spyder does come with a sway bar. My bar is stiffer and will do more of what a sway bar is designed to do. It makes your turns flatter and more controlled. It takes less effort to steer the Spyder and adds stability in most situations. It reduces getting pushed around by cross winds and when passing large trucks on the freeway.

You should notice a difference right away between the stock sway bar and my custom bar.

The 2012 RT sway bar is $199 delivered to the 48 US states. Additional shipping costs apply to other locations.

jthornton
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM
thanks
chuck

My wife would not ride on my 2012 RT after her first ride with the stock sway bar... add a BajaRon sway bar and corners are like your on rails and now my wife likes to ride the spyder. With the stock sway bar she felt she was being launched off the bike at every corner. We have put 4000 miles on the Spyder together since getting the BajaRon sway bar kit. For me the loss of over steer coming out of corners really makes me smile and from time to time when I feel like it I wake the nanny up just to let her brake in corners, of course this is only done when I'm riding alone. Before I was a bit concerned with the over steer coming out of corners even riding alone.

JT

Bob Denman
07-17-2013, 04:50 PM
Ron,
Do think that the reports of end link breakage for the 2013s is in any way related to the repositioning of the top shock mount?
Or is it perhaps just a bad run of polymer? :dontknow:

BajaRon
07-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Ron,
Do think that the reports of end link breakage for the 2013s is in any way related to the repositioning of the top shock mount?
Or is it perhaps just a bad run of polymer? :dontknow:

No, it has nothing to do with the shocks. Completely unrelated. It has to do with bad links.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55433-2013-Stabilizer-Bar-Link-Rods-(FYI)

Bob Denman
07-17-2013, 06:00 PM
thanks!:thumbup: I figured it's best to ask now, since the relocation brackets are the NEXT item being added to the "Farklepile".

Magdave
07-17-2013, 10:01 PM
No, it has nothing to do with the shocks. Completely unrelated. It has to do with bad links.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55433-2013-Stabilizer-Bar-Link-Rods-(FYI)

My dealer said BRP told him to keep an eye on the links so BRP knoiws they have a problem. Straight from the horses mouth.

Bob Denman
07-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Has anybody heard of any other manufacturers having supplier issues?
I'd bet that they do... we just need some stories to make us all feel better! ;)

BajaRon
07-18-2013, 08:21 AM
I've got about 2 dozen custom Heim joint link sets ready to go. They are taking a bit more effort than I thought. I was not able to find all the components I needed ready to do off the shelf so I'm having to customize some additional parts. If I cannot find more Plug & Play components I am not going to be able to keep the price at $65 delivered for a set. But I will stick with that price for these.

I will be emailing those that are on my notification list and they will have first shot.

I'll get pictures when I have more time.

Bob Denman
07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
:2thumbs: Waiting by the mailbox... :bbq::bbq::bbq:

Magdave
07-18-2013, 09:07 AM
:2thumbs: Waiting by the mailbox... :bbq::bbq::bbq:

Me too:2thumbs:

Bob Denman
07-18-2013, 09:38 AM
(Where do you think we are on the list??)

BajaRon
07-18-2013, 10:18 AM
(Where do you think we are on the list??)

Someone always has to be at the bottom Bob....

Bob Denman
07-18-2013, 10:22 AM
:ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:: ohyea::ohyea::ohyea::ohyea:
You're the bestest!! :2thumbs:

Magdave
07-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Ron you sent me 2 invoices one for the sway bar + links and a second for the links. Just wanted you to know so you can free up the second set of links for someone else.

BajaRon
07-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Ron you sent me 2 invoices one for the sway bar + links and a second for the links. Just wanted you to know so you can free up the second set of links for someone else.

You were probably in my 'Notification' list twice. I'll get that fixed.

BajaRon
07-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Ok, where to start....

I may have been a bit too optimistic on my timetables with these 2 projects. I've had some 'Unforeseen-a-ties' as always seems to happen. You'd think, just once, things would go according to plan.

First, status on the 2013 RS, RSS, ST, STS, ST Ltd. sway bars.

I got these to the Powdercoaters on time but they are not running Gloss Black right now. And though I love John Deere Green and Yellow, I just don't think so. They will be running Gloss Black early next week and I will ship these as soon as they are done. Be careful when you open the box. There may be wet paint! :yikes:

Second, the Custom Heim Joint Links. These have taken a lot more effort than I anticipated. I thought I would get them out today but I didn't quite make it and I didn't want to rush them.

The Links and everything you need are ready to go. I will be taking one more look at the install instructions tonight and I will be shipping all orders out tomorrow. I plan to get the shipping labels printed tonight so if you've ordered a set of Custom Links you should receive notification from the USPS by email. Post office closes at Noon here and I will be there with bells (or Links) on.

I apologize if this has set anyone back. I need to be much less optimistic with my prognostications. I say that every time....

Biosafena
07-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Ron,
If we received a reply email saying that we are on the list for the links, but did not receive an invoice, am I correct in assuming that we did not make the cut on your first batch? If so, any idea when more will be produced?
Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

BajaRon
07-19-2013, 05:33 PM
Ron,
If we received a reply email saying that we are on the list for the links, but did not receive an invoice, am I correct in assuming that we did not make the cut on your first batch? If so, any idea when more will be produced?
Thanks again for all your hard work!!!

I would have to look at yours again but typically, if the email address I have for you is not attached to a Paypal account I don't send an invoice unless one is requested. Please send me another email and I'll sort it out. I've got a few more sets left.

Biosafena
07-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Email is on its way. Thanks again.

BajaRon
07-19-2013, 06:12 PM
Email is on its way. Thanks again.

The Fix is in... I mean, I've got you fixed up! :thumbup:

Biosafena
07-19-2013, 06:34 PM
You da man!

Biosafena
07-19-2013, 06:37 PM
The pesos have been sent. Or did you prefer payment in standing timber...or livestock? Just kidding, THANKS!

Magdave
07-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Wondering if you got the link issues ironed out and are shipping today?
Thanks
Magdave

Bob Denman
07-20-2013, 11:54 AM
:bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq::bbq:

BajaRon
07-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Wondering if you got the link issues ironed out and are shipping today?
Thanks
Magdave

I've been told that the proper usage is 'Problems' not 'Issues'. But Tomato, Tomahto.

All current orders shipped today. It wasn't so much issues as just the time needed to get all the parts to the specs I wanted (ok, maybe that is the same thing). I still have not gotten the instructions done. We got a lightning storm last night and my power was out for a few hours.

I will be emailing the install instructions to everyone later today. It's not difficult but there are 1 or 2 things that need to be done a certain way.

Thank you all for your patience.... again!

Lamont used to list me as the 'Always Late Member'. I never could figure out why.... :dontknow:

Bob Denman
07-20-2013, 12:14 PM
Lamont used to list me as the 'Always Late Member'. I never could figure out why.... :dontknow:

That IS curious :shocked: .. You're still alive; right? ;)

BajaRon
07-22-2013, 08:47 AM
I sent out the Custom Performance Heim Joint Link installation instructions this morning. This is probably the easiest mod install you'll ever do to your Spyder other than the IPS Key Cover.

If you purchased a Link Kit from me you will receive an email with the instructions attached, (same email address as your Paypal account is attached to).

If you ordered a set of these Performance Links and you did not receive the instructions by email please let me know by emailing me at fyredad@hotmail.com

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Thanks for this update! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Ron,
I'll send an email too...
But would it be possible to simply post the instructions in here as well?

CurtG
07-23-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm seriously considering adding the bar to my 2012RT-S after all the positive threads about but am wonder if I should accumulate the funds for the links also.

Thanks.

Ride safe,

Bob Denman
07-23-2013, 05:36 PM
;) In for a penny; in for a pound! :thumbup:
Since you're already improving the front suspension; why not upgrade some of the parts while you're at it? :2thumbs:

CurtG
07-24-2013, 09:45 PM
Point taken, thanks. Those pounds can be a killer sometimes.

Ride safe,

Bob Denman
07-25-2013, 06:55 AM
:yikes: Yes they can! :shocked: ;)

BajaRon
07-25-2013, 10:40 AM
The 2013 RS, RSS, ST, STS, ST Ltd., sway bars will ship today. I am sold out of the Chrome Moly links but I've got more components coming and I should be shipping these again tomorrow.

BajaRon
07-27-2013, 12:09 AM
All remaining orders for 2013 RS, RSS, ST, STS, ST Ltd., sway bars AND the new Custom, Chrome Moly Heim Joint Links will ship tomorrow. You should already have received an email from me with the Link Install Instructions attached and another email from Stamps.com / USPS that a package is being shipped to you. These may go to the address attached to your Paypal account (if it is different than your usual email address).

Again, very sorry for the late ship date on these items. I think I may actually be caught up!

Let me know if you have an outstanding order and have not received these emails.

BajaRon
07-31-2013, 09:07 AM
I had some issues with my email service and I am not sure I have taken care of everyone. If you ordered a Sway Bar or Chrome Moly Link Set, and have not heard from me, please email me at fyredad@hotmail.com so we can get it worked out.

I think I have everything taken care of but under the circumstances, I can't be sure of it.

BajaRon
08-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I know I said I would notify everyone when I had the Chrome Moly Link Kits back in stock. The problem has been that I sell nearly all of them before I can get another batch made. I am making these 25 sets at a time. It takes me awhile to to this. I should have another 25 sets made by the end of this next week.

I need some elves!

Bob Denman
08-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Good stuff takes time; cheap can be found anywhere! :thumbup:

Magdave
08-10-2013, 09:05 PM
I know I said I would notify everyone when I had the Chrome Moly Link Kits back in stock. The problem has been that I sell nearly all of them before I can get another batch made. I am making these 25 sets at a time. It takes me awhile to to this. I should have another 25 sets made by the end of this next week.

I need some elves!
They are worth the wait :D PJ at Velocity Power Sports was impressed by them :thumbup:

reverendg
08-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Despite a comedy of errors, I now have what feels like a different trike. Silver grey 2012 RT-S with 1500 miles on it. First my email ended it up in cyber-limbo, then a 2013 bar was shipped by mistake, but with the new links. After emailing Ron the right bar was in my mailbox the second day later. Sunday was a good day for the install, and the critter gitter as well. I opened the frunk and put a rolled up towel under the lip to keep it open (easier for flexing the frunk I figured), then dropped the little skid plate and removed the two 10 mm bolts holding the lower frunk to the frame right near the sway bar bushings. Nice easy install. Oh, I did remove the lower A-arm plastic covers for easier access to the upper link bolts. The difference is amazing. We will get the wife's assessment on Wednesday, we are taking a short trek up the road to go to a concert. Now if only the other things I am waiting for would arrive...........but that is a whole different story. This one got a happy ending....Yay!!!

BajaRon
08-16-2013, 05:39 PM
The Custom Chrome Moly Steel Heim Joint Links are back in stock right now. Don't know how long they will last but as of right now I've got 17 sets ready to go that are not spoken for. These are $65.00 delivered to the 48 US States and Puerto Rico. I'll ship anywhere in the world. Shipping costs vary depending on location outside the US.

You can email me at fyredad@hotmail.com or PM me here at Spyderlovers.

Atonic
08-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Will a 2013 RS-S benefit from the sway bar upgrade?

Magdave
08-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Seriously do a search. Anyone who has used his sway bars has nothing bad to say.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-17-2013, 07:23 AM
:agree: :2thumbs:
Although you may also have some new options available right from BRP...

Sarge707
08-17-2013, 08:25 AM
The Custom Chrome Moly Steel Heim Joint Links are back in stock right now. Don't know how long they will last but as of right now I've got 17 sets ready to go that are not spoken for. These are $65.00 delivered to the 48 US States and Puerto Rico. I'll ship anywhere in the world. Shipping costs vary depending on location outside the US.

You can email me at fyredad@hotmail.com or PM me here at Spyderlovers.

Will the Chrome Moly Steel Heim Joint Links make Your sway Bar (2012 RT) more effective because they don,t stretch like the OEM ones .
In other words do the Stock Joints flex when turning? Or are they basically the same but much more durable?:dontknow:

Bob Denman
08-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Sarge,
That's a real good question! :thumbup:
The answer... I didn't really feel any difference; but i'd LIKE to that that everything felt more "together"... or was that just wishful thinking? :dontknow:
I don't think that the OEM pices could really flex much; I sort of doubt that anyone but a professional who's used to pushing machines right to the hairy, ragged edge :shocked: could tell the difference... ;)

BajaRon
08-17-2013, 10:35 AM

The short answer is 'Yes'. Actually, the long answer is also 'Yes'! :)

Will the Chrome Moly Steel Heim Joint Links make Your sway Bar (2012 RT) more effective because they don,t stretch like the OEM ones .
In other words do the Stock Joints flex when turning? Or are they basically the same but much more durable?:dontknow:

My Chrome Moly Steel link set is prettier than the OEM links and just a tiny bit longer (giving the Pre-2012 Spyder a bit more clearance from sway bar to A-Arm). They are much stronger and more durable than the OEM composite plastic pieces. But there will be no difference (other than the placebo effect that Bob describes).

The OEM links do not 'Stretch' and as long as they are in good condition they will work fine. You should check them periodically, especially if you run over something, as they are subject to road debris damage. And they are a wear item so eventually, they will need to be replaced.

My links had 35,000 miles on them and one ball joint was loose which means it would have failed at some point.

Atonic
08-19-2013, 10:40 PM
The short answer is 'Yes'. Actually, the long answer is also 'Yes'! :)

Thanks! Will put them on the upgrade list for her.